Abel to Yzerman

12 Hours Out Of Mackinaw City The Gales of November Came Slashin

Watching the Wings come back from an 0-3 deficit last year was one of the most exciting weeks of our lives.  It was stunning and it was incredible.  Those three games reminded us of just how good this team can be when everything is going right.  Health, chemistry, goaltending, strong pharmaceutical work.  For a week they were brilliant.

Do I think that could happen again? 3 straight wins against a team not quite as good as the one Detroit roared back against last year?

No, I don’t think it will.

I believe what I said back when we wondered where the Wings would finish. This is the matchup we didn’t want because it’s the kind of team that has traditionally given the Wings problems in the playoffs.  A great goaltender and a slow-down style bound to frustrate every one of us.  We knew we’d outshoot them, probably outskate them and in the dark places we all knew there was dangerous potential for the kind of sadness only we know.  Anaheim, Edmonton, Calgary, LA, San Jose, New Fuching Jersey. All ugly, tragic losses from our past that proved that it takes so much more than just talent to do this.  There are variables in the years we win.  Dallas Drake or Larry Murphy, vengeance and redemption.  Grind lines and aging goalies that remind us of Nicklas in ‘86.

It’s not our year, folks. The intangibles aren’t there. The variables are missing.  Would Darren Helm have made a big difference? I believe so. I think his speed and his tenacity and his godlike playoff touch would have made a big difference.  And I believe that when he went down the Wings deflated more than a little.

And here’s where it gets weird.  I’m ok with it. I’m ok because my expectations, for the first time in forever, were not high.

We’re going to Live Blog this bitch and it’s going to be fine.  We’ll bid farewell to our boys and look to the summer when Tick Tock will remind us all why he’s our savior.  Nick will stay and Helm will heal.  Parise will join because he knows this is the system and the franchise that was made for his talents.  And there will be others. Oh yes there will.  The Wings will not re-build. They will re-stock and re-load.

But that’s later. Today we will not bitch about Franzen loafing.  We’ll laugh about it because it’s defined us for the last sixty days.  We’ll remember that Jiri Hudler’s a karoake artist with a weakness for back-biting hookers.  We’ll think back to 2008 when Big Jonny Ericsson was on everyone’s list, including my wife’s.  We’ll watch Pavel Datsyuk even closer tonite because we know it could very well be the last time we’ll see that kind of brilliance for the next six months.  And I’m not even going to get into why we’ll be watching The Perfect Human just as closely.

And, once again, as one we’ll look at the Nashville crowd with wonder and remark just how incredible it is that so many stupid people can fit into one building for one purpose and still have absolutely no idea what it is they’re watching.

It’s over tonite, folks.  I’m pretty sure we all know it. And if it’s not?  Well, shit.  Wouldn’t that be good.  Because if tonite doesn’t signal the end, well, we’ve got ourselves a chance.

Here’s your Live Blog, bitches.  Make it a keeper.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›      Next »

42jeff's avatar

Got some quality booze tonight…Gentleman Jack.  Hope to exorcise the demons of the Military’s Special

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 04/20/12 at 08:43 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

where are we, 75:00 away still?  I don’t even know if I’ll watch the Philly prelude.  I have watched a couple of their games, just so bizarre and unprofessional you can’t take your eyes off.  Imagine 6 goals a game going up on the board so easy, and we have to struggle and work our asses off for just 1.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/20/12 at 08:46 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Arizona Toughens Immigration Laws In Attempt to Rid State of Phoenix Coyotes

APRIL 20, 2012 | ISSUE 48•17

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/20/12 at 08:56 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I may be curled up in a corner tonight, wearing my Lidstrom AND Holmstrom jerseys and gulping down glasses of Jameson, but I’ll be cheering for ONE win to send this series back to the Joe.

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/20/12 at 09:07 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by MsRedWinger from Michigan, now in Flori-duh on 04/20/12 at 07:07 PM ET

My daughter is headed out to Buffalo Wild Wings around Daytona Beach to watch the game.  She said she hopes she doesn’t cry in public.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/20/12 at 09:12 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

She said she hopes she doesn’t cry in public.

Posted by RWBill from the Land of 12 in 12. on 04/20/12 at 07:12 PM ET

And she rarely cries or is outwardly emotional, but Wings losing the series to Preds could do it.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/20/12 at 09:19 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Nervous as cat on Gameday.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/20/12 at 09:30 PM ET

dougie's avatar

MOWings, how the hell did you get Pekka Rinne to agree for you and your turkey to take a photo with him in the background?

Posted by dougie on 04/20/12 at 09:31 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

anyone have a FSD feed?

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 04/20/12 at 09:33 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Bottle of jameson, 4 hot dogs, this could get interesting later

Posted by dougie on 04/20/12 at 09:34 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

Bottle of jameson, 4 hot dogs, this could get interesting later

Posted by dougie on 04/20/12 at 07:34 PM ET

Going with the Larry Murphy impression tonight, eh?

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 04/20/12 at 09:36 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/20/12 at 09:38 PM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

- MC

Was just saying this to my wife this afternoon. Well everything ‘cept the word ‘folks’. The question I have is.

Alright, where is the listening device you planted? I have swept the area and have found nothing. Had no idea a CVN could be found on Lake Superior.

Just not feeling it this year. Want to. Want to in the worst way, but still just not feeling it this year.

And 12 in 12 would have been so sweet.

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 04/20/12 at 09:49 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Win or lose… just play with some passion.  Hello everyone, my name is calquake and I’m a Wingaholic.

Posted by calquake on 04/20/12 at 09:51 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

anyone have a FSD feed?

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 04

you know the game is on CNBC, right?

are there people who don’t get CNBC?

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/20/12 at 09:56 PM ET

VooX's avatar

Evening 19, what are you bitches drinking?

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 04/20/12 at 09:57 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

murph:

” .. it’sh dat Tic-Tash_toe ..

Tick,

Tack,

TooH,

that da Wings are mishing ...”

got it murpph; tanx!

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/20/12 at 09:58 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Evening 19, what are you bitches drinking?

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 04/20/12 at 07:57 PM ET

Anything that won’t outright kill me.

Posted by calquake on 04/20/12 at 09:58 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by calquake on 04/20/12 at 07:51 PM ET

Wingaholics Anonymous. First names only.  Ready bitches?

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/20/12 at 10:00 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Evening 19, what are you bitches drinking?

Night Train. H2o.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/20/12 at 10:01 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

FSD Tigers said the Wings were on FSD too, maybe it’s the CNBC feed, I don’t know.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/20/12 at 10:02 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Evening bitches.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 04/20/12 at 10:02 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Checking in.

VooX !  Line em up ...double rum with a rum chaser, there’s serious work to be done, let the bottles hit the floor!!

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, doing the prospect shuffle.... on 04/20/12 at 10:05 PM ET

OK
Completely shitty 2 weeks of work that some how went along with 2 weeks of crap from the WIngs has me really needing a good outcome tonight.  Finally home from work with whiskey in hand.  LGRW!!!!!

Posted by pawl91 on 04/20/12 at 10:06 PM ET

VooX's avatar

CBC Feed for those with a Canadian IP address.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 04/20/12 at 10:06 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

Nervous as cat on Gameday.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/20/12 at 07:30 PM ET

sacrifices will be made ...

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/20/12 at 10:07 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

HerOhs play here.

Hmmm…..

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, doing the prospect shuffle.... on 04/20/12 at 10:07 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Hey VooX, set me up with a Mt. Gay and Coke.

Cal’s right, play with fuching passion gol damnit you *#$%@&

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/20/12 at 10:07 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

Nice turkey MO.  And a good evening to the rest of you bitches.

A solid effort AND some shots from the slot and i’m happy(ish).

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 04/20/12 at 10:07 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

Oh yeah, sorry Chief, but unless he shows up I’m gonna bitch about the Mule.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 04/20/12 at 10:08 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

EVENIN’ BITCHES !!

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/20/12 at 10:08 PM ET

barnburner13's avatar

Well put, Master Chief, as always.

LETS GO RED WINGS!!!!!

Posted by barnburner13 from Fort Drum, NY on 04/20/12 at 10:08 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Evening 19, what are you bitches drinking?

Gentleman Jack and sprite

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 04/20/12 at 10:08 PM ET

jennyquarx's avatar

I was feeling pessimistic the last two days and then I heard Zeppelin in a record store today.  Then Deacon brought home this story from school about a shipwreck and Zac started singing the Edmond Fitzgerald to me.  I asked Deacon to hand me a coaster (they’re Olympia Entertainment ones) and he brought me Al the Octopus.  Then I logged in here and it’s Seger.  Seriously you guys.  The planets are aligned today.  And if not, that’s okay too.  Everything you wrote makes it okay.

Posted by jennyquarx on 04/20/12 at 10:09 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

I’m in. Here goes nuthin

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 04/20/12 at 10:09 PM ET

VooX's avatar

Another feed.  That one is more for anyone.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 04/20/12 at 10:09 PM ET

ITDeuce's avatar

Grain Belt Nordeast for me.

In case you’re wondering, it’s pretty damn good.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 04/20/12 at 10:09 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Evening 19, what are you bitches drinking?

Gentleman Jack and sprite

Posted by 42jeff from Minot, North Dakota on 04/20/12 at 08:08 PM ET

Oh yes…and a couple times today maybe a little vomit….

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 04/20/12 at 10:09 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Hey VooX, set me up with a Mt. Gay and Coke.

Cal’s right, play with fuching passion gol damnit you *#$%@&

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 04/20/12 at 08:07 PM ET

I don’t think I said it that way counselor. grin

Posted by calquake on 04/20/12 at 10:10 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

I’m in bitches.  This one’s for pride.  Sunday’s game will have a bit more on the line and the one after that is gonna be huge.  Wings in seven.

Now go do it.