Abel to Yzerman

“Tell Me Quick,” said Old McFee…Tell Me This Team’s Better Than That

Bullet Bob’s back to save us, because the adorable 8 pounder told me he would.  Oh, the angst.  If you’ve read the comments associated with last night’s Live Blog you know that the pitchforks are out.  Heart, passion, give-a-shit…it’s all being questioned today.  And the reasons are sound. If Detroit couldn’t get up for last night’s game, what else—short of the playoffs—is going to do the trick?

And where the Hell is Johan Franzen?

Son, you’re a rich man because Tick Tock Kenny Holland made a tough decision two years ago.  He essentially chose you over Marian Hossa because you promised us all we’d get consistency.  Not consistent awesomeness, just consistent really goodness.  We don’t see it Mule.  We’re not seeing it and now people are talking about lighting you on fire and putting you on somebody’s porch as a joke, hanging around to see if someone steps on you.

And people are wondering, typing things like the Wings need “fiery leaders” and “passion” and “Tahitian Hookers” and “more hunger”.  The 19 are getting restless because losing is one thing, but appearing not to care too much about losing is a whole other deal.

You can blame our Uncle Mike, if you want.  And you are.  You can wonder what precisely the new assistant coaches are bringing to the table.  But I’m getting a bad feeling that if there’s a lack of urgency in that room then the fingers need to be shifted from the guy with the good hair to the Perfect One.  Professionalism and quiet confidence, a steady demeanor and leadership by example is all well and good.  And that’s cool when it works.

But man, is there anyone wearing red and white who’s just a little pissed off about this whole thing?  And if not?  Who are the leaders who should be? Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Holmstrom….

Uh oh.  Calling Dr. Cherry.

I’m not going anti-Euro on you.  But, shit man.  Someone needs to get pissed off other than us.  Dig it?  Like Seger said, all along that fateful coast, we’ve been silent like a ghost.  But that silence is getting tougher to maintain.  I’m just throwing that out there.  Turning this thing into a Ship of Fools will take about one more loss.

It’s a Live Blog and the Hasek’s full.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >  Last ›      Next »

MsRedWinger's avatar

Agreed, Chief, and it didn’t help to see that Jimmeh said after last night’s game:  “...I thought we deserved a better outcome.”  Deserved?  I don’t like that word.  Got to earn it, son.  EARN it.

I don’t blame the coaches for lack of will.  Time for the players - other than Homer, Nick and Helm - to show it.  To mean it.

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 10/29/11 at 08:08 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

The people who said the effort wasn’t there last night are wrong.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/29/11 at 08:09 PM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

Honestly, ain’t it so. the “i don’t care..” hasn’t quite started yet, but I feel it lookin’ round the corner. Where’s the preacher??!! we needs us a revival, here, we needs a revival, I tell ya.

Posted by Rdwings28 on 10/29/11 at 08:09 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

The people who said the effort wasn’t there last night are wrong.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/29/11 at 07:09 PM ET

I’ll agree there was effort.  And obviously with the awful call disallowing Homer’s first goal, it was a closer game than the score indicated.  Still, I didn’t see the flat out will-not-lose determination I saw from the Sharks.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 10/29/11 at 08:19 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I didn’t see flat-out will-not-lose determination from the Sharks… I saw execution.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/29/11 at 08:23 PM ET

calquake's avatar

I remember that… didn’t we used to call that swagger?  The feeling that no matter what the Wings were going to come out on top.

Posted by calquake on 10/29/11 at 08:26 PM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

pumpkins, including Probert

Posted by Rdwings28 on 10/29/11 at 08:28 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/29/11 at 07:23 PM ET

I don’t want to start an argument with you, JJ, but doesn’t the execution flow from the determination?

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 10/29/11 at 08:29 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Assuming both teams are fairly evenly talented, I mean…

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 10/29/11 at 08:30 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

doesn’t the execution flow from the determination?

I don’t consider them exclusively linked. You can be determined and sloppy.

Hell, I wouldn’t even call the Wings last night sloppy.  They made a few mistakes and the Sharks jumped down their throats on it.  I don’t think it was because the Sharks were more determined and I definitely don’t think it was that the Sharks outworked the Wings.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/29/11 at 08:35 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/29/11 at 07:35 PM ET

Fair enough.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 10/29/11 at 08:39 PM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

Three.

Count them, three losses in a row!

How many in a row, or a season before the wings are known as LOSERS.

Now, my mind has slipped away and fallen off the trolley long, long time ago, more then likely way afor many of you were thinking of something besides toy trucks, and sandbox’s.

CCR is singing “Have you ever seen the rain.” on da XM 26.

Ya, I’ve seen the rain, it is pouring right now.

I have know Idea what will happen if we lose a fourth game in a row. Tried slitting my wrists after last nights game, but could not find any blood running through the veins. All that poured out was whiskey.

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 10/29/11 at 08:45 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

I just want a “W”.

Period.

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 10/29/11 at 08:46 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Yes.  A win.

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 10/29/11 at 08:49 PM ET

calquake's avatar

All that poured out was whiskey.

You must have been on the Power Play at the time. cheese

Posted by calquake on 10/29/11 at 08:51 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

I expect skate-to-throat, relentless efficiency.  Nothing less will do.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 10/29/11 at 08:53 PM ET

dougie's avatar

We’ll be alright…...I’m reserving judgment until 20 games have been played.

Remember, a little over a week ago, the press was writing “best team in the league” stories aboot the Wings.

Posted by dougie on 10/29/11 at 08:58 PM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

FSD FEED

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 10/29/11 at 09:02 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

WIN
WIN
WIN
(Please)

Lets Go Red WINGS!!!

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 10/29/11 at 09:05 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

No HD for me…sigh.  At least I get to watch the game from start to finish for the first time in a really long time and not on DVR.

I’ll take a win, I don’t care how they get it.  Just win.

Let’s go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 10/29/11 at 09:05 PM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

the pre-game songs is being sung.

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 10/29/11 at 09:07 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

The people who said the effort wasn’t there last night are wrong.

...

JJ’s got it right on both counts. There were only a couple of “spectators” out there last night (cough*Bert*cough). But putting forth 110% of effort that has no fricking direction to it, doesn’t do any good.

The Sharks were a cycling machine in the offensive zone last night. Everyone was constantly moving closer and closer to the net. Their passes were short and on the recipient’s tape.

The Wings were a study in frentic energy resulting in a string of one-and-dones all night long. And Babs should bench the next player (cough*Bert*cough) who makes a blind backhand pass to the middle of the ice.

I like Blashill and Peters, and I liked Bab’s concept of bringing in fresh blood (and fresh ideas), but so far the result has been chaos. And the fact that they had long stretches of time to practice in the first two weeks makes it even worse.

Is it too soon to start lobbying for the return of Drapes?

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 10/29/11 at 09:08 PM ET

Bent's avatar

Hopefully the wings score first before the wild lull them to sleep.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 10/29/11 at 09:09 PM ET

dougie's avatar

I take it the new, “uptempo” Minnesota Wild was only a PR campaign.

Looks like the same as it ever was.

Posted by dougie on 10/29/11 at 09:20 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Hopefully the wings score first before the wild lull them to sleep.

Huh…what?  Oh sorry, I dozed off.

Posted by calquake on 10/29/11 at 09:21 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Great Stu.

Latendresse - - brain cramp - - thank gawd

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 10/29/11 at 09:22 PM ET

Bent's avatar

Ugh

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 10/29/11 at 09:22 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

nice possession by the Wings that results in nothing and then the Wild score.  FML

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 10/29/11 at 09:22 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Tough call.

Posted by calquake on 10/29/11 at 09:24 PM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

shades of the 70’s and 80’s are starting to form in my head.

do not think i could go through 20 years like that again.

it’s a good goal, the player was not wearing red

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 10/29/11 at 09:24 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

... it’s against the Wings ... not gonna over turn it.

thanks Gary. Ass.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 10/29/11 at 09:25 PM ET

Bent's avatar

Wow, no goal.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 10/29/11 at 09:26 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Caught a break there.

Not that I’ve seen anything from DET to indicate that it will matter much.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 10/29/11 at 09:26 PM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

no fecking way. the wings get a break

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 10/29/11 at 09:26 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

That was the wake up call of the night…..Wings, lets take control and WIN!

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 10/29/11 at 09:27 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

what????????????

didn’t the refs get the memo????????????

wow???????????

but i’ll take it.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 10/29/11 at 09:27 PM ET

dougie's avatar

That was a makeup call for that bullshit they called on Homer last night.

Posted by dougie on 10/29/11 at 09:27 PM ET

calquake's avatar

shades of the 70’s and 80’s are starting to form in my head.

That won’t happen until TPH is gone.

Posted by calquake on 10/29/11 at 09:27 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

C’mon Wings wake up!

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 10/29/11 at 09:28 PM ET

Gabriel's avatar

Have we really fallen so low that we’re actually getting sympathy calls? I just feel….dirty….now.  And not in a good way.

Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 10/29/11 at 09:30 PM ET