Abel to Yzerman

More on Modano

Defending Big D just posted a sit-down some Dallas digger did last night with could-be Wing Mike Modano.

Detroit discussion starts around the 3:40 mark.  Most interesting part is the fact that a Dallas producer elected to close the segment with some Seger.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

George Malik's avatar

That would be what, the equivalent of Jason Williams,’ “Thanks, Detroit, but I’d really like to see what the Columbus Blue Jackets and the KHL can offer me first” comments last summer, yes?

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/05/10 at 06:23 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Columbus would be a better fit, George.  He’d be close to home, but not too close.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 07/05/10 at 06:27 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I was paraphrasing Williams, but the “I don’t want to be too close to home” line certainly applies here.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/05/10 at 06:35 PM ET

scotts0's avatar

I really hope Holland doesn’t sign Modano.  It would handcuff the team money wise more than they already are.  And not to mention, if they do sign Modano, Helm, Abby, Miller or Eaves would have to go because of what…sentimental value for Modano?

If Holland does sign him I will seriously start to question Holland as a GM.

Posted by scotts0 from New York on 07/05/10 at 06:46 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

If Holland does sign him I will seriously start to question Holland as a GM.

I’m not sure where to start with that statement.  Holland has made mistakes and questionable moves, but I’m assuming that by “seriously start to question Holland as a GM” you mean that he should lose his job and his credibility over a Modano signing?

The nicest thing I can say is “I disagree”, and I’ll leave it at that.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/05/10 at 06:54 PM ET

I don’t know that I’d seriously question him as a GM but I would definitely prefer Holland not sign Modano.

To me he doesn’t fill any needs and like scott) said, we’d have to move one of our RFAs (most likely Miller or Eaves, I would think).

Posted by Garth on 07/05/10 at 06:55 PM ET

scotts0's avatar

No, I didn’t mean losing his job, not at all.  I may have come off a little too hard there.  I guess I meant it would seem like he was going about players with the wrong intentions…not as a team mentality.

Posted by scotts0 from New York on 07/05/10 at 06:59 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Whew, that’s a relief.  I agree that I think the cost of Modano is too high, considering the RFAs I’d like to see us bring back.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/05/10 at 07:07 PM ET

teri's avatar

It’s a wonder that Mike Doocey, Fox 4’s sportscaster took time away from his beloved Romo and the Cowboys to even interview Modano. Hockey doesn’t rate to high on his nightly segments.

Posted by teri on 07/05/10 at 07:11 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

AM800 news has learned that former NHL star Bob Probert has died after efforts to revive him when he was rushed to a Windsor hospital with no vital signs.  Probert, a former Detroit Red Wing forward, was on a boat in Lake St. Clair when an emergency call was made.  EMS and fire met the boat and started CPR, but sources say Probert was not revived.

RIP, Probie. Kick some ass up there.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 07/05/10 at 07:14 PM ET

Triple Deke Tyler's avatar

This really sucks, man.

If the Chief goes on another long vacation and comes back the day that Joe Kocur drops dead, I’m going to start seriously questioning him as a blogger.

Posted by Triple Deke Tyler from Lansing on 07/05/10 at 07:40 PM ET

CaptNorris5's avatar

RIP Probert…

Only 45… that’s horrible. Tragic loss for his family and the sport.

Probie, get up there and drop those gloves. After last season, the hockey gods need to be roughed up Bruise Brothers style.

Posted by CaptNorris5 from The Winged Wheel, stuck in Chicago on 07/05/10 at 08:07 PM ET

kcameron's avatar

Bob was the reason I started watching hockey and the Wings. It’s a sad day.

Posted by kcameron from Portland OR on 07/05/10 at 08:25 PM ET

WestWing's avatar

Wow, Probert down for the count.  I think a round of drinks is appropriate at this point.

Posted by WestWing from Portland, Oregon on 07/05/10 at 08:33 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Those who remember Pass Sports may also remember this commercial.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from Where the GM likes his team. on 07/05/10 at 08:40 PM ET

monkey's avatar

If Holland does sign him I will seriously start to question Holland as a GM.

Holland can’t hear you- he’s got two Cup rings stuffed in each ear.

Seriously, I agree with you re: Helm, Miller, Abby, Eaves (but wouldn’t the plot thicken if they traded away someone like Fil?), but Kenny moves in mysterious ways.  We shall see.

And Probie- shit.  Shit, man.  45 is too soon.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 07/05/10 at 08:46 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

No to Mikie Mo. I do not see him as a good fit at all.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 07/05/10 at 10:42 PM ET

scotts0's avatar

If Holland does sign him I will seriously start to question Holland as a GM.

Holland can’t hear you- he’s got two Cup rings stuffed in each ear.

And Probie- shit.  Shit, man.  45 is too soon.

Posted by monkey from bat country on 07/05/10 at 06:46 PM ET

Since you’re posting on a Wings blog I’m going to go ahead and say that you’re probably a Wings fan.  So with that, there really was no reason for that lovely comment of yours.  Like someone stated earlier, Holland has made some bad decisions in the past…but this one would make absolutely no sense and because of that, yes I would without a doubt question his intentions.

Not a knock at all…just my(and probably many other Wings fans) opinion.

Posted by scotts0 from New York on 07/05/10 at 11:02 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Dallas Morning News,

Mike Modano is flying up to Detroit on Tuesday and could meet with the Red Wings as soon as tomorrow afternoon, he said Monday night.

Modano, who was born and grew up in the Detroit area, said that he has had a couple of discussions with Red Wings management and believes they are very interested in trying to find a fit for him in the lineup.

Detroit has 14 forwards on one-way contracts and has a ton of left-handed shots who are natural centers, but they seem to make it work there.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/06/10 at 12:24 AM ET

Baroque's avatar

I’m not surprised he doesn’t want to be “too close” to home. I adore my parents, and love my brothers and sisters, but would sooner live in my own car than room with them long-term ever again. We have separate lives now.

It would be cool to see him play for Detroit, in a “gee whiz” kind of way, but I don’t see that he fits a need really.  Other than the need for enough good players to cover for the inevitable injuries. : /

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 07/06/10 at 12:35 AM ET