Abel to Yzerman

Attention Red Wings fans: FOX negotiating with Dish Network

Per Fox Sports Detroit, of significant note to Red Wings fans who subscribe to Dish Network:

FOX is currently negotiating with DISH Network regarding the terms by which they carry its cable networks FX, National Geographic Channel and the 19 regional sports networks, including FOX Sports Detroit.  The deadline for this negotiation is 3:00 AM Eastern tonight/tomorrow morning.  If DISH Network fails to reach fair agreements with FOX, their subscribers may lose access to programming on the affected networks as of Friday, Oct. 1.  Negotiations are ongoing and hope this issue can be resolved.

Only DISH Network subscribers could lose FX, National Geographic Channel and FOX Sports Detroit programming.  All other systems will continue to receive FOX Sports Detroit and the other networks mentioned.

DISH customers can get more information and leave a comment at the following website:  www.GetWhatIPaidFor.com.  Or, by calling 1-877-99-IPAID (1-877-994-7243)

Affected games initially would be:

- Tigers:  Friday thru Sunday at Baltimore

- Red Wings: Friday vs. [Toronto] on FS Plus (preseason); Sunday vs. Pittsburgh (preseason); Oct. 8 vs. Anaheim (regular season opener); Oct. 9 at Chicago .

- Pistons – Tuesday at Miami (vs. LeBron & company)

Also: let me know if you’d like a links post here or there.  This is The Chief’s blog so I’ve tried to tread lightly and post updates via my Twitter account until The Malik Report gets going in a few days.  And yes, I’ve chosen a banner winner.  It’s a little simpler than some of the entries, but Courtney Fathers’ Wings jersey font wins out because…I just dig it:

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

IwoCPO's avatar

I’d like a links post George, and I’d like it right frigging here.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 09/30/10 at 06:23 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Ah ha, I see wink

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 09/30/10 at 06:30 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Wherever the links post goes, I’ll follow.  Your call, George.  It’s not like I won’t be reading both A2Y and The Malik Report daily.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 09/30/10 at 06:37 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

I’d like a links post George, and I’d like it right frigging here.
Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 09/30/10 at 05:23 PM ET

What they said.  LOL

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 09/30/10 at 06:39 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Yeah, typing monkey, post some links. I admit I read only two or three of your posts every day, not all the 132. But still, post it, nothing screams “Yahoooooo!” “Malik” like a links post. Except maybe a 900-word translated Czech article.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 09/30/10 at 07:15 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

And yes, I’ve chosen a banner winner.  It’s a little simpler than some of the entries, but Courtney Fathers’ Wings jersey font wins out because…I just dig it…

Hey, it’s your blog, George, so if you dig it that’s the only reason you need to choose that banner. But, with no offense intended to Coutrney, I have to be honest with you and say that every banner that Jennemy and The Freak created far surpasses your final choice. C’est la vie.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 09/30/10 at 07:41 PM ET

awould's avatar

Don’t care about losing Fox. I do care about losing FX. Also, I get the NHL Center Ice, so having FS Detroit isn’t a big deal. *#$%@& Fox.

I left Direct TV because their service was terrible, they went out their way to rip people off and they lost Versus for a long time. I like Dish Network better and will stay with them.

Posted by awould on 09/30/10 at 08:03 PM ET

awould's avatar

Also, Direct TV is a Fox company so this whole thing reeks of corporate bullying. I’ll support Dish Network if only to promote some actual competition.

Posted by awould on 09/30/10 at 08:04 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

The last 6 new threads since 4 pm ET are way over my head.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 09/30/10 at 08:09 PM ET

Jennemy of the Skate's avatar

@Older than Chelios - thanks for your support. I had fun throwing the ideas together but design is a subjective thing. And like every other client situation that I have, it all comes down to whatever the boss likes. lol. I don’t take it personally and I respect George’s choice. smile

Posted by Jennemy of the Skate from the bar car on the stress train on 09/30/10 at 09:34 PM ET

GrahamWIIM's avatar

The issue is going to be with those in the Detroit market who can only get Dish and not any other subscribers, because Center Ice blocks out games that are shown locally. This is why I get stuck listening to Pat Foley and Edzo during Wings-Hawks games, and why I am trying to get better speakers for my computer so I can stream Ken Kal and mute the TV.

Posted by GrahamWIIM from Chicago via Toronto on 09/30/10 at 09:49 PM ET

awould's avatar

That does suck for all the Detroit local fans. I’m in Phoenix, so Center Ice is about the only way to get any hockey here. Except for when I drive 100 miles roundtrip to the west valley to see the Coyotes lose when Detroit visits. Such as next weekend….

Posted by awould on 09/30/10 at 10:17 PM ET

Primis's avatar

IIRC, FS Midwest (ST. Louis Blues flagship TV) is also a part of this debacle.

My folks JUST dumped Comcast finally and switched to DISH so they could be rid of the god-awful corruption that is Comcast (and actually get HD programming, as well as Travel Channel, NHL Network, and some others that no Comcast package whatsoever offered them).... and this is the thanks they get.

Hi.  You might lose FS Detroit on the eve of the Red Wings’ season.  Kthnxbye…

Posted by Primis on 09/30/10 at 11:19 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

No doubt about it, Jen. But as we all know, the customer/client really isn’t always right. smile

I guess my frustration with this is that George got a lot of people to invest a lot of time in coming up with banner ideas and then, in the end, chose the design of his friend. Maybe it would have been better if he’d just asked his friend to do the design in the first place.

But then I am, without a doubt, a crusty old son of a bitch so things like this tend to “stick in my craw” more than most people. I’ll get over it – in a year or two.  wink

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 10/01/10 at 12:32 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

By popular demand, apparently, we have a recount

I’m a “people’s blog” type guy, so if you want to suggest that I revisit the banner entries, please do and please pick the one you like best.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 10/01/10 at 01:15 AM ET

Baroque's avatar

Oh, for the love of…

THEY WERE ALL VERY NICE, SO ASSIGN EACH A NUMBER AND CYCLE THROUGH A DIFFERENT ONE EACH TWO WEEKS!

It might be a pain, but it has to be less of a pain than the constant minor quibbling. Besides, they all deserve to be shown off a little bit. smile

Sometimes the correct answer really is “all of the above,” you know.

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 10/01/10 at 08:55 AM ET

Bent's avatar

Ugh, I am still contracted with Dish and this is the thanks they give me.Of all the channels to lose…

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 10/01/10 at 09:52 AM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

I’m sure this will fuch up those fine people who stream games online as well.  Sucks for us transplants who’s only means to watch is from online streaming.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 10/01/10 at 12:07 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

By popular demand, apparently, we have a recount.

Hey, George, don’t let my crusty comments sway your decision. As I said initially, if you dig it that’s the only reason you need to choose your friend’s banner. Besides, no one is going to read or not read your blog because of the banner. Just put that puppy up and get on with business.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 10/01/10 at 12:47 PM ET

w2j2's avatar

I have DishNetwork and FXDetroit is how I watch the Wings.

This really sucks….

Mickey Redmond and Ken Daniels are a big part of my enjoyment of the games.

Posted by w2j2 on 10/02/10 at 01:46 AM ET