Kukla's Korner Hockey
Entries with the tag: steve moore
from Rick Westhead of TSN,
Steve Moore's brother Mark says there is no deal between Steve and Todd Bertuzzi, a bombshell claim that casts doubt on claims made Wednesday by the NHL and Bertuzzi's lawyers that a settlement had been reached.
"I got a text message from Steve last night and he's very concerned," Mark Moore told TSN. "He says there is no deal yet and isn't sure what to do about all the media speculation.
"Because of the injury he has trouble making decisions and so he doesn't know how to handle the media."
Less than three weeks from the start of a lengthy civil trial and after eight years of litigation, former Colorado Avalanche Steve Moore has reached a settlement with Todd Bertuzzi and the Vancouver Canucks, according to media reports.
Details of the settlement are not available, but Moore's lawyer, Tim Danson, confirmed an offer has been made and agreed to.
Moore’s had been seeking $68 million in damages, and the civil lawsuit was scheduled to begin on Sept. 8.
from Michael Drapack of CBC,
The National Hockey League refused to give Steve Moore $220,000 in a disability payment unless he dropped his civil suit against Todd Bertuzzi and the Vancouver Canucks, new court documents allege.
As well, a new motion was filed to compel former Canucks owner John McCaw Jr. to testify at the trial scheduled to start in September in Ontario Superior Court in Toronto.
Moore is seeking $38 million dollars in damages resulting from the March 8, 2004 on-ice incident. Bertuzzi, the Canucks and Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment, owner of the NHL team, are named.
from CBC Sports,
Brian Burke offered injured player Steve Moore an opportunity to resume his hockey career while both sides were still embroiled in a lawsuit in Colorado, according to documents obtained by CBC News.
Moore has not played since getting hit from behind by Vancouver Canucks forward Todd Bertuzzi while a member of the Colorado Avalanche in a March 8, 2004 game.
Burke was Vancouver’s general manager at the time of the incident, but the Aug. 12, 2005, offer letter was made while he was serving as GM for Anaheim. It was a two-way contract offer that would have paid Moore $475,000 US in the NHL and $75,000 if the player suited up for Portland, the American Hockey League affiliate of the Ducks.
“In my opinion, Steve had progressed to the level of a competent minor league forward who would fill on occasion in the event of injury,” Burke said in the letter, directed to Larry Kelly, Moore’s agent.
One-time Colorado Avalanche forward Steve Moore and former Vancouver Canucks winger Todd Bertuzzi met in Toronto on Monday with a mediator in an effort to prevent a lawsuit from heading to court.
It was the first face-to-face meeting between the two since the infamous sucker punch during a March 8, 2004, game in Vancouver that ended Moore’s career.
Moore, 29, and his family filed a lawsuit seeking $38 million for loss of income and damages.
Bertuzzi, who now plays for the Calgary Flames, and Moore attended the meeting with their lawyers, as well as former Vancouver coach (now Hockey Night In Canada analyst) Marc Crawford and his representatives.
Moore’s lawsuit names Bertuzzi, the Canucks and former team owners Orca Bay, as defendants.
continued… but no details of the meeting have been released
from Jim Kelley at Sportsnet,
...Even Flames President Ken King has said that Bertuzzi, having paid his penalty (an indefinite suspension that amounted to 20 NHL games, approximately $500,000 in lost salary, plus assault charges that yielded a year’s probation with community service and no criminal record), deserves a second chance. Despite polls that indicate a split opinion in that regard, King maintains that fans in Calgary are willing to give it to the notorious forward.
Funny, but I can’t help but wonder who speaks for Steve Moore.
Moore can’t say much on his own. The matter, more than four years removed from the terrible event, has still not made its way into court. Because of that, there is a moratorium regarding public comments on the case in Canada.
from Bruce Dowbiggin of the Calgary Herald,
Deciding what’s an acceptable risk of danger when suiting up for an NHL contest will be the key should the case proceed to trial, says a source with a legal background and knowledge of the situation. The source, who requested anonymity, told the Herald any trial will likely come down to the issue of what level of risk Moore assumed that night by simply suiting up against the Canucks in Vancouver.
The source feels Bertuzzi and the NHL will try to make the case that, by playing despite the threats of violence, Moore accepted a higher level of risk.
Throughout this matter, the Canucks and their counsel have refrained from public comment, preferring to have this matter dealt with in the courts. The Canucks organization feels compelled at this time to respond to some of the inaccuracies in the media stories relating to court documents and the allegations made in the proposed Claim.
- Contrary to impressions made by some reports these allegations are not yet formally before a court and will require a court order before they are permitted to be made. The Ontario Superior Court will be considering whether to allow these amendments on January 21, 2008.
- We believe that many of the proposed allegations now being advanced on behalf of Mr. Moore against the Vancouver Canucks are inaccurate or speculative. The Vancouver Canucks believe they are intended to inflame the public and create further media interest in the case.
from Rick Westhead of the Toronto Star,
During a secret meeting last December, lawyers for NHL player Todd Bertuzzi offered $350,000 to settle a $15 million lawsuit filed by Steve Moore, the former player whose neck Bertuzzi broke in an on-ice attack that roiled the league, according to court documents.