Kukla's Korner Hockey
from the Boston Globe,
During the dark days of the NHL’s 2004-05 lockout season, Reebok International Ltd. began poring over hundreds of prototypes for new uniforms, from a Robocop look with protective gear on the outside to jerseys neatly tucked into pants. With NHL players hard to come by during the lockout, Reebok tapped retired athletes and minor leaguers to try uniforms on an ice rink here and hired researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Central Michigan University to conduct thermal and wind-tunnel tests.
Today, the Boston Bruins will unveil the new Reebok uniform, the first NHL team to show off the sleek look with tighter-fitting jerseys and advanced moisture technology. The Bruins also are one of six teams that are using the introduction of the uniform to change their logo and striping, bringing back a vintage look reminiscent of the Bobby Orr era and showing that the redesign is about profit as well as performance.
This is a follow-up to the story Alanah posted two days ago…
from the Russian Imformation Agency,
British Airways has officially apologized to former NHL star from Russia Pavel Bure, who filed a lawsuit with a Moscow court demanding the airline pay $770,000 in compensation for moral damage.
Last October the retired NHL right wing, known as the “Russian Rocket”, was scheduled to fly on BA875 flight from Moscow to London, when the pilot of the aircraft allegedly mistook Bure for a Russian soccer fan, and refused to take off until the hockey star left the plane.
via the Mercury News,
The NHL draft is two days away, and the Sharks are gathering information on important matters such as whether their prospects like prostitutes.
A prospect named Dana Tyrell told the Prince George Citizen about his odd interview with the team.
“They were just firing questions so fast sometimes I didn’t even get a chance to answer,” he said. “But one question they asked was this - if I was in Central Park and I knew I was going to die, would I pick up a hooker, get a cab and drive away even though the cab driver was going to kill me, or get a hotel room to die there? They were laughing at my answer.”
from the Buffalo News,
The NHL free agency period starts July 1, and for the first time people are looking at all the available names, not just the ones on the unrestricted list. There’s a belief Clarke’s offer will be mimicked.
“The rules are there, and I think other teams will start using them,” Clarke said by phone last week. “Why wouldn’t you? Your responsibility is to do what’s right for your team, to help your team as a manager, and if you’re willing to give up draft picks and probably pay a little more to get a player, then why shouldn’t you use the rules? I think it will be used a lot more now.”
Kesler’s agent, Kurt Overhardt, agrees. He said a handful of teams inquired about Kesler before Clarke made his offer in September, and he feels the interest in restricted free agents will turn into action now that someone has made the first move.
from Damien Cox of the Toronto Star,
The most reasonable process for Bettman to follow would have been to invite Balsillie to Manhattan yesterday to make a presentation to the board and answer a few questions. Nothing formal. No vote on the ownership of the Predators.
Instead, Bettman avoided dealing with the issue at all. The biggest news of the day then became that Jeremy Jacobs, Bettman’s No. 1 supporter, who has singlehandedly remade the once proud Boston Bruins into a failed franchise, is now chairman of the board.
The battlefield is now well-defined. Three Americans – Bettman, Daly and Jacobs – dedicated to defeating Balsillie’s bid to bring hockey to the world’s richest hockey market.
And never having to really explain why.
from the Globe and Mail,
Wayne Gretzky may feel sorry for National Hockey League fans in Nashville, but the head coach of the Phoenix Coyotes can see only good things if the Predators relocate to Southern Ontario.
In an interview with CTV’s eTalk, Gretzky said that if the Predators are sold to Canadian billionaire Jim Balsillie and moved the next season to Hamilton, they would do well in what he dubbed “a great hockey area.”
from Allan Maki of the Globe and Mail,
If he could script it to his liking, Iginla would end his NHL playing career with the Flames. He saw how Detroit’s Steve Yzerman stayed with one organization and how Joe Sakic is likely to retire with the Colorado Avalanche. The end game for Iginla is to go out wearing a Stanley Cup ring and only one uniform, maybe all the way to the Hall of Fame.
So if you hear those rumbles about Iginla leaving the Flames – and they could get louder this weekend what with trade rumours and NHL draft talk filling the airwaves – ignore them.
Iginla isn’t going anywhere. You can even say he’s earmarked for a long run here.
from the Ottawa Sun,
Redden told the Sun he doesn’t want to waive his “no trade” clause, would like to return to Ottawa next season and is willing to talk about a contract extension with GM Bryan Murray.
“Obviously, I have to speak with Bryan and find out where he’s at because he just took over,” said Redden yesterday. “But I’m sure (agent Don Meehan), myself and Bryan will be speaking over the course of the next little while.
“I know I’m an unrestricted free agent next summer, but I definitely want to be back there. I don’t want to go anywhere. I’m really excited about being (in Ottawa), especially after the year we had.”
from Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun,
League sources say Tampa GM Jay Feaster might be willing to offer centre Brad Richards and his $7.8-million salary (all terms US) for each of the next four years to the Chicago Blackhawks, Philadelphia Flyers and Phoenix Coyotes.
Those teams hold the first three picks in the draft, to be held at Nationwide Arena.
The 27-year-old Richards is one of Tampa’s top forwards with 25 goals and 45 assists for 70 points in 82 games last season.
But he could be expendable after the Bolts acquired centre Chris Gratton from the Florida Panthers last week and Feaster needs to clear some salary to find a way to bring in a goaltender.
from Larry Brooks of the NY Post,
“I want to play for the Rangers. I don’t want to go on the open market. I’ve told my agent [Rick Curran] to talk to Glen Sather and try to get a deal done. I don’t want to leave, and if they’re not interested in having me back, it will be a complete shock.”
“I don’t want to discuss what I would or wouldn’t do in the contract,” said Shanahan, whose agent is expected to speak with Sather here before tomorrow night’s Entry Draft. “I’ve never negotiated in the papers. But there aren’t going to be any silly games. It’s not a traditional negotiation where I’m looking for leverage, let’s put it that way. My feeling is that pretty much anything they propose that will help the Rangers be better, I’ll be all ears.”
more and once again, the idiotic rumor of Shanny returning to Detroit is shot down…
About Kukla's Korner Hockey
Paul Kukla founded Kukla’s Korner in 2005 and the site has since become the must-read site on the ‘net for all the latest happenings around the NHL.
From breaking news to in-depth stories around the league, KK Hockey is updated with fresh stories all day long and will bring you the latest news as quickly as possible.
Email Paul anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org