Zach Parise Plans To Fulfill His Contract With The Minnesota Wild

from Jessi Pierce at NHL.com,

Zach Parise said he plans on attending training camp for the Minnesota Wild next season even though his role with the team remains unclear.

Parise said he will speak with Wild general manager Bill Guerin and coach Dean Evason during the offseason. The 36-year-old forward has four seasons left on a 13-year, $98 million contract ($7.54 million average annual value) he signed with Minnesota on July 4, 2012.

"You never sign a deal and not fully intend on seeing it through," Parise said Tuesday. "I understand things change, but from my standpoint, I've always enjoyed playing here.

"So no ... I don't want to play anywhere else. … I've got the term left on my deal, and I plan on being here in training camp next year. I haven't been told otherwise. That's my intention and I don't want speculate any other way."

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Minnesota Wild, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

d ca's avatar

These are what is now know as the Frans Nielsen years of his contract. That extra term that was needed to get the guy signed or a cap hit in the range you needed.  I am glad to hear a player say, I’m going to fulfill my contract rather than leverage it to a league overseas.

But let’s be honest with this article….he doesn’t get paid the cap hits….he gets 6M next year, 2M the year after that and 1M in each his final two years. Lets see what he does when he’s getting 1M instead of 6M per year.

Posted by d ca on 06/03/21 at 03:08 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Wow, its come to this.  I still remember how Ken Holland was thought to have one thumb up his butt and the other in his mouth for not delivering Parise and Sutter, now he’s an anchor.

Top end UFA contracts are generally always bad contracts in a cap sport, your paying the highest value for a player that will hardly fulfil that to the end.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat on the Captain's Ship on 06/03/21 at 03:41 PM ET

d ca's avatar

MurrayChadwick’s avatar

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0’s pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 06/03/21 at 04:41 PM ET

Yes and No. Got to remember the league doesn’t allow 13 year contracts to circumvent the cap anymore. Guys that signed these had a reason why the 1M years were tacked on the end.

It’s different now-a-days as Parise’s contract would have been over a couple years ago with today’s term limit.

Posted by d ca on 06/03/21 at 03:54 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by d ca on 06/03/21 at 04:54 PM ET

True on the 13 but even on the 7s, I’m finding it hard to think of a UFA example of an elite long term deal that worked out at the end in the last two decades.  They’re bad deals, now sometimes bad deals win cups, but the back half is still an anchor.

Maybe pietrangelo becomes the 1st?

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat on the Captain's Ship on 06/03/21 at 05:12 PM ET

Do you think the Wings would have won another cup with Suter and Parise? If so, these last four years would be worth it. I think its because Holland missed out on these guys that it led to numerous bad signings, Nielsen included.  If Minnesota is really on the cusp of becoming a contender and Parise and Suter don’t fit their plans, they shouldn’t have too much trouble shipping to a bottom feeder for a draft pick.

Posted by Jdunc from Flint, MI on 06/03/21 at 06:49 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

2012?  I don’t see the Wings winning a cup that year or any other after it; but hindsight does tend to be 20/20.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 06/03/21 at 08:24 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I remember it clearly, people called for Holland to be fired that July when the twins chose Minnesota instead of Detroit. It was disappointing at the time but I also remember a little relief that detroit didn’t overpay for them. Here we are now.

I think detroit was darn close to another Cup after the game 7 2009 shat, but I also don’t think parise/Sutter were the missing pieces. Still no regrets for missing out on them, and I’m admit ably experiencing some schadenfreude in seeing Minnesota go through this with them while never having won.

Posted by TreKronor on 06/03/21 at 09:39 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

I think there is a few of these long contracts that worked out well for their teams. Ovie is possibly one of the better ones. I would have taken Sutter in a heart beat on that contract. He is one the most steady defensemen in the league for the last 14 years. He is getting older, but still doing it pretty well. I do think if the Wings landed him, this team would have been more competitive and may have gone further in the playoffs.

I think the same can be said for Shea Weber.

I was not a Parise fan and I am still not but you look at his numbers year by year and CF% he is a pretty solid player. He scored 25 goals in 2019-2020 and the year before 28. Not to shabby. His Plus/minus was to great those years, but that team was in shambles.

I am glad those contracts are a thing of the past, but quite a few worked out decently enough.

Obviously Rick DiPietro with the New York Islanders and Ilya Kovalchuk with the New Jersey Devils did not workout well.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 06/04/21 at 07:22 AM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Every time Walnut Grove has failed since Laura and Mary decided to take their talents to the prairie I’ve raised a beer.  I do believe we’d have won at least one more Cup, had they signed. I don’t blame Tick Tock for that one.  I think the Wings did all they could, and offered a good deal to them both.  Oh well. I’m glad they got to enjoy their best years in comfort, having not won a damn thing.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 06/04/21 at 08:35 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Whatever happened, happened. There is no changing the past. Its only good as a learning tool.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 06/04/21 at 03:37 PM ET

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 06/04/21 at 08:22 AM ET

Oh yeah, Ovie’s a free agent this year.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 06/04/21 at 04:31 PM ET