YouTube TV Adds Additional Channels, No NHL Network Or Game Package

Today YouTube TV added some channels people were asking about plus this...

For sports lovers in particular, we’ve got you covered: you now have access to March Madness and you can watch nationally televised NBA games, NBA All-Star weekend, NBA Playoff games, MLB Postseason games, the PGA Championship and soccer from the UEFA Champions League.

But wait, there’s more! We’re thrilled to announce that we’re soon adding NBA TV, the league’s 24-hour network, and MLB Network, Major League Baseball’s award-winning 24/7 TV network, to the YouTube TV base package. And in the coming months, you’ll also be able to watch NBA League Pass, the league’s premium out-of-market live game service, or MLB.TV, the longest running sports streaming service in the U.S., for an extra fee. Game on!

Disappointed again- No NHL Network or a game package.

I thought the NHL considerd their fan base as the most technological advanced?

I did switch to YouTube TV a few months ago after being with PS Vue (no NHL Network either) for almost two years.  YTTV is great but I am starting to think the NHL doesn't understand there are more and more cord-cutters every day.

Filed in: NHL Talk, NHL Media, Hockey Broadcasting, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Yeah, so far that’s one of the things that’s stopping me from trying this.

Posted by George0211 on 02/14/18 at 12:18 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Not to pry, but can I ask why you switched to YouTube?  I’ve been considering this route now that my internet has been upgraded, but I was leaning towards Vue because of reviews I’ve read..

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 02/14/18 at 01:22 PM ET

Paul's avatar

No problem Hoot and I think YTTV still offers a 5 day free trial.

PS Vue was fine, except for numerous 1-2 buffering about 2 or 3 times a day.  Customer service was no help, actually told me my device, Nvidia Shield, was not on the list of devices that would work with PS Vue.

On the other hand, YTTV customer service was great, had a question, submitted and about ten minutes later, they responded.

DVR feature IMO is better than Vue’s and plus instead of sometimes being behind in the action watching a sporting event on Vue, like a minute behind, YTTV is only behind by 10 seconds.

Check out Reddit, a lot of comparisons to Vue there. https://www.reddit.com/r/youtubetv/

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/14/18 at 01:28 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

I looked into YT TV, but ultimately went with Sling. Sling blue package offers a better selection for me for only $25 and includes all of the local Fox Sports channels. I didn’t pick it up, but adding the sports add-on which includes NHL network would be an extra $10.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 02/14/18 at 01:28 PM ET

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 02/14/18 at 12:28 PM ET

But I thought Sling did not have DVR option? Granted this was almost a year ago when I looked at them

Posted by George0211 on 02/14/18 at 01:30 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Thanks for the info, Paul.  I have a Shield as one of the devices I would be using, so thats concerning.

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 02/14/18 at 01:36 PM ET

I have yttv. DVR is anything you want to record forever. I’ve not had problems, much, other than it seems to stop when a show ends sometimes. But I’m using an old technology computer I now regret building… But I’m using it because I want windows 7 for MCE. I looked at sling and Vue and thought they offered less for the money when considering my wife, daughter and self. At the time it was a month free and s free chrome cast with first paid bill.

Posted by teldar on 02/14/18 at 01:36 PM ET

Paul's avatar

They were wrong Hoot regarding the Shield. So don’t be bothered by that at all when deciding.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/14/18 at 01:37 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Sling does have a DVR option, I believe it’s an additional $5 a month.

I’ve used Sling for 2 years now, along with a log in for ESPN.  It’s really great, honestly.  As soon as DirecTV’s streaming service offers a DVR I’m going to try that out though because there’s more options and I wouldn’t have ot mess with ESPN’s horrible buffering in the app.

PK - on the PS Vue buffering.  My friend had the same issue (was using DSL, about 5 mbps) and found the default setting was 1080p.  He set it to 720 and now it never buffers.  For what it’s worth.

That’s the nice thing with these streaming things - no commitments.  Just jump around to which ever offers what you want at the time.

Posted by TreKronor on 02/14/18 at 02:56 PM ET

Posted by TreKronor on 02/14/18 at 01:56 PM ET

What does it DVR to, device or cloud?

Posted by George0211 on 02/14/18 at 02:59 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Will keep that in mind TK if I switch back.

George, DVR is in the cloud on all of these formats.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/14/18 at 03:01 PM ET

George, DVR is in the cloud on all of these formats.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/14/18 at 02:01 PM ET

That’s what I thought.

So you get all local Fox Sports channels with Sling? Then I would not need NHL Center Ice if I get Fox Sports Detroit

Posted by George0211 on 02/14/18 at 03:06 PM ET

Paul's avatar

George, not sure about Sling, but with YTTV, you get both FSD and FSD+, with Vue only FSD.

Plus all your locals stations too on both YTTV and PS Vue.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/14/18 at 03:13 PM ET

Plus all your locals stations too on both YTTV and PS Vue.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/14/18 at 02:13 PM ET

Posted by George0211 on 02/14/18 at 03:15 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

What are you young whippersnappers talking about here? I’m confused. If I get one of these new-fangled things, will I have to rotate my antenna to pick it up?  rolleyes

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 02/14/18 at 03:40 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Try one out OTC, but not sure if they will run on a Commodore 64.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/14/18 at 03:42 PM ET

Plus all your locals stations too on both YTTV and PS Vue.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/14/18 at 02:13 PM ET

Unfortunately, I wouldn’t be able to get FSD and FSD+ even with YTTV because I’m in Philly market, hence the need for Center Ice package.

Posted by George0211 on 02/14/18 at 03:54 PM ET

George,
I didn’t think of this until now. Private internet access is a vpn. They may have a Michigan server.

Posted by teldar on 02/14/18 at 04:16 PM ET

George,

Posted by teldar on 02/14/18 at 03:16 PM ET

You really think Google would give me VPN access to rout my youtube traffic thru?

Posted by George0211 on 02/14/18 at 05:08 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

This page breaks down the 2 base sling packages.

The blue package has FS regional, FS1, FS2, and NBCSN

I’ve only just started using it so I’m not 100% sure, but I believe you can watch time shifted content through the sling app basically streamed from the included channel’s web sites. Not a true DVR in that case, but good enough to keep up with your favorite shows.

Also, its poorly advertised but the bottom of the Sling page also has offers for free/discounted roku or fire stick with service.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 02/14/18 at 06:02 PM ET