Your Washington Capitals Blogger

Please welcome Matthew who will be blogging about the Capitals for KK this year.

-Paul

Welcome to the home of the F Street Faithful.  A place for all news related to the team that calls the Verizon Center home: The Washington Capitals.  This blog is entirely for the Capitals, not me, though I do feel some introductions are in order.

For me, it all started in 1996.  At the time I was 6 years old and couldn’t tell a Canuck from a Canadien.  My father took me to my first Washington Capitals game in the old Caps Centre.  It was some game against the Pittsburgh Penguins that I honestly remember very little of, aside from the taunts the crowd was making at Tom Barrasso.  Fifteen years later, I still get the same feeling of excitement watching the game.

I have seen many a player don the Capitals’ jersey.  Some have had the luxury to become beloved by the fans and some still make me cringe to his day (the most notable of these will be in town December 13, 2011).  Throughout all of these, I pay undying allegiance to the Slovakian Sniper, Peter Bondra.  Other former Capitals that find a place in my heart include Sylvain Cote, Joe Juneau, and Boyd Gordon.  All Capitals fans will have to note my following stances on current matters:

• I am pro-Alex Semin
• I am anti-Jeff Schultz

Outside of hockey, there isn’t much.  I do follow most other sports.  My other teams include the Washington Redskins, Baltimore Orioles, and Arsenal F.C.  The closest that I have ever come to seeing my team win a championship is when University of Maryland men’s basketball won it all in 2002, and I don’t even much like basketball. I gladly welcome you to this new blog.  You can also check me out on twitter, @FStreetTate.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Washington Capitals, Matthew Tate, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Welcome! Hopefully Vokoun does well in Wash. If so, they’ll be dangerous.

Posted by Ravi on 08/08/11 at 06:03 PM ET

petshark's avatar

Welcome! Good idea to mention bias in advance.  I have so many I’m afraid mine would be a long list.  It can be fun for readers to root a writer’s biases out, but knowing your own is valuable;)

Posted by petshark from Nor Cal, and on Twitter @petshark47 on 08/08/11 at 06:10 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Welcome!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 08/08/11 at 06:23 PM ET

Welcome! The year I lived in DC was awesome - top 3 cities in America. The Caps, not so much. It was the year just before AO was drafted and they might have packed 5,000 into the MCI Center; Jagr was the shell of his former; a pre-season ticket to catch the Wings - $90. That year was a rapid blur, but I do remember how bad they were. Like many of the markets in the US past and present, Caps fans were highlight reel fans at that time (and that is now behind them). The obstacle in front of them now is much more grand, and I really don’t think they’ve found their identity.

What’s going on with Ovechkin’s equipment endorsements? Good Luck!

Datsyuk>>>Ovechkin

Posted by Jesters Dead on 08/08/11 at 09:50 PM ET

Welcome.  Look forward to reading your blog.

Posted by Eric on 08/09/11 at 05:14 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

Welcome to KK Matthew.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 08/09/11 at 11:16 AM ET

Welcome to another pro-Alex Semin fan.  There are a bunch of us out here.  We need to start a cult with Sasha as our deity!

Posted by hockeynut on 08/09/11 at 07:42 PM ET

Welcome.  Always good to have another Caps blogger, esp. one whose stance I agree with. Just hope you are not super into statistics.  Finding out about a new Caps blogger and a new radio voice for the Caps on the same day in August is lifting my spirits for Caps hockey.  As for soccer, what no DC United?

Posted by NovaCath from Falls Church VA on 08/09/11 at 09:35 PM ET