Your Turn KK Readers

I’ve been up working since 6:30am ET this morning and have yet to come across a hockey related story worth posting.

So, I turn to you.

Anything you want to let KK readers know about in the hockey world, want to get something off your chest or maybe ask a hockey related question?

Feel free to leave a comment and let’s see if it can pick up some traction.

Filed in: NHL Teams, NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

calquake's avatar

Off topic but… here’s how my mind works.  A lot of us are watching the Olympics and witnessing the pageantry, the displays of color, the spectacle of the events.  So why is it the best the Brits can come up with for the gymnastic athletes is “safety pins” to hold the numbers in place on the uniforms?  Haven’t they heard of velcro?  Just wondering.

Posted by calquake on 07/30/12 at 12:22 PM ET

Hey Paul,

Lets say best case scenario the cap ceiling gets lowered and there are teams that have to cut some players loose.  In the past when the CBA has changed what were some of the larger names that were released due to the restrictions.  Give me some hope for the wings if in fact this is the case.

Thanks!

Posted by John from Denver on 07/30/12 at 12:23 PM ET

john denver, i may be wrong… but from what i have read if the salary cap is indeed lowered, the players salaries will also be rolled back in a way percentage wise that would be relative to the percentage the the celing drops.  So in other words, if the ceiling drops 10%, the owners would also push for a 10% reduction/rollback of players salaries to be implemented parallel with the reduction.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 07/30/12 at 12:36 PM ET

Paul's avatar

John, these names are just off the top of my head and I could be wrong.  It seems the veteran player was the type of players teams lost.

I do believe both McCarty and Hatcher from Detroit, Tony Amonte on John Leclair were in that group too.

I will do some research and post if I find anything.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/30/12 at 12:36 PM ET

Winged20Wheel's avatar

What about a breakdown of the western conference and show how the wings are going to make the playoffs yet again to quiet the naysayers.

Posted by Winged20Wheel on 07/30/12 at 12:47 PM ET

Since calquake mentioned the Olympics, what do you think of the weird (but strangely reasonable) idea someone (don’t remeber who) had about removing hockey from the Winter Games and playing it on the Summer Games?

It’d be weird, because you know, summer!, but then the games would be played in July/August and the NHL wouldn’t have to shut down for a month.

Posted by Herm from the office on 07/30/12 at 12:49 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Why in the heck do I have to provide my Cable TV provider (username AND password) to NBC in order to stream Olympic crap live on TV?

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 07/30/12 at 12:52 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Er…live on the tubes?

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 07/30/12 at 12:52 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

They should move the IOC to the southern hemisphere. That would solve the problem.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/30/12 at 12:53 PM ET

Thinking about the Alumni game - Leafs-vs-Wings—how many players would qualify for both teams?

Larry Murphy, Norm Ullman, Paul Henderson, Red Kelly, Marcel Pronovost, Frank Mahovlich, Floyd Smith, Curtis Joseph, Wendell Clark, Steve Thomas,—I am sure there are more—which team would they chose?

Posted by Howie Young from up north on 07/30/12 at 12:54 PM ET

I know the Wings bought out Derian Hatcher, Darren McCarty and Ray Whitney.  Some other names I remember…..Bill Guerin from Dallas, Bobby Holik from the Rangers, John LeClair and Tony Amonte from Philly.

Posted by henrymalredo from Lansing on 07/30/12 at 12:56 PM ET

Thanks for the insight Paul.  I look forward to anything else you might add as well!

Posted by John from Denver on 07/30/12 at 12:57 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Babcock said something about Damien Brunner being a top 6 guy right now. Does anybody really believe that? Does Babcock believe that or is he just blowing sunshine up….
The kid’s only played in Europe and is a whopping 175#. Hmmm…..

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 07/30/12 at 01:05 PM ET

CRoy's avatar

Okay, a little comment about the state of the wings from a non-panicky super fan.
  We have been thouroughly disappointed thus far. The wings have all kinds of cap space and a real need to make some blockbuster moves, but have yet to do anything substantial to improve the team. Its truly become a nightmare scenario for fans expecting a lot out of the leaugues “best” Gm.
  However, I am still not going to panick. First and foremost, while I’d be a fool to say that I haven’t appreciated and enjoyed the hell out of the last 20 years of amazing hockey played at the Joe, I have really felt over the past couple of years, sans Datsyuk, that the brand has become stale. The style of play is built for a super team, of which just doesn’t exist anymore in the league. The play on ice has become predictable, made of players designated to certain roles that were created over 15 years ago by Scotty Bowman. There have been tweeks here and there but our idea of consitantly feeding the point to take low shots, hope for a tip or rebound, gather the puck and repeat has been successfully strategized against for the last couple of years. And quite frankly, it makes for a boring game watching shot after shot from the blue line getting blocked, and players built for open ice trying to hold their own on the boards trying to get the puck back.
  So why am I not panicking? I am very excited, more than anything else, about Tom Renny being a part of the coaching staff. He is a very smart hockey mind that has the sensibilty to collaborate with Babcock and get the Wings using their young players coming up to skate. By skate I mean skate like the hard pressing teams that have been successful in the playoffs for a while now. Watching LA play in the finals was a revelation. Every player was part of a rotating forecheck, the emphasis of their entire system, and the tool they needed to pull it off… constanly

Posted by CRoy from Redford MI on 07/30/12 at 01:12 PM ET

CRoy's avatar

CONT…
  ...constantly moving their feet and pressing. Their opponents were forced to play at a speed they were far from comfortable playing at. Tom Renny is just the guy to help turn these players into a cycling, forechecking, five-man-rotating, interchangable beast.
  That being said.. It doesn’t change the fact that the Wings have lost a boatload of talent. However, this give the young guys an opportunity to fail at the NHL level, yes I said fail, and the opportunity to overcome that failure and learn from it while staying at the NHL level. This has not been possible in years past. I expect a drop in the standings and wild inconsistancy, but man is it going to be exciting, and frustrating to watch these guys develope. It sure as hell won’t be stale.
  Finally, I’m not going to panick because we have no idea what is going to happen with the new CBA. We could very well see a firesale from teams after the deal is ratified, in the way of buyouts, cheap salary moving deals ect. this offseason is far from over. It may look bleak now but I wouldnt put it past the organ-I-zation to come out of this mess looking like geniuses. Maybe that is a naive point of view, but it would’t be the first time thats happened. To me this year is earily similar to 2006. Two years later we had another parade. We also had Lidstrom, so who knows, I guess thats just my take.

Posted by CRoy from Redford MI on 07/30/12 at 01:24 PM ET

Paul,
With free agency pretty much dried up, it’s satarting to get the point where Holland and crew usually start looking at some low risk/high reward type bargains (ala Dan Cleary and Patrick Eaves.  Any personal opinion on any of those types you could see Holland going after?  I see a guy like Cam Barker out there who seems to fit the Red Wings reclamation project mold.

Posted by henrymalredo from Lansing on 07/30/12 at 01:27 PM ET

Posted by CRoy from Redford MI on 07/30/12 at 11:12 AM ET

Yup.  I’m anxious to see the kids on defense with Renney’s work and experience in EDM and NYR.  Peters is only a year away from coaching the kids as well.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 07/30/12 at 01:40 PM ET

CRoy's avatar

its definitely going to be interesting to see where Renny takes the powerplay. Without Lidstrom its going to be a tall order to get it around 21 to 25%, but Renny in particular did a great job with Edm powerplay while he was there.. I’m in class so I can’t look up the numbers, so take that with a grain of salt, but i remember someone pointing that out when he was first signed and being pretty impressed.

Posted by CRoy from Redford MI on 07/30/12 at 02:04 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Posted by Winged20Wheel on 07/30/12 at 10:47 AM ET

I was thinking about doing one this year, but I would like to wait until most of the rosters are set.  When we find out what Doan is going, I expect some teams will make moves plus as I have stated before, a few teams may want until the CBA is finalized to start making their moves.

Posted by Herm from the office on 07/30/12 at 10:49 AM ET

I think it would be great, but the IOC won’t even think of it.  Imagine the Winter Olympics without hockey.

Posted by Howie Young from up north on 07/30/12 at 10:54 AM ET

Some of the names being mentioned are getting up there in age.  Maybe they will break it down to people over 65 for one game, and they will probably need to grab some younger players to fill out the roster.

I don’t see Red Kelly playing, he has been picked as a coach for Toronto along with Pat Quinn.  Not sure if Gordie will take to the ice, along with Johnny Bower, Pronovost and others.  Again, not sure how they could be on the ice at their age.

Lindsay will be an exception, the guy still works out on a regular basis at 80+.

The kid’s only played in Europe and is a whopping 175#. Hmmm…..

Posted by Vladimir16 on 07/30/12 at 11:05 AM ET

I would hope he is saying that to motivate a few of the other players who should be competing for that spot.

Paul,

Posted by henrymalredo from Lansing on 07/30/12 at 11:27 AM ET

Again, I think the Wings will wait for the CBA to be finalized.  But I do agree they will probably go with a veteran type dman, one that fits the mold of Barker who has fought injuries plus his play has been sporadic at best.  Wings are going to need a dman who can play in all situations but especially on the pk.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/30/12 at 02:37 PM ET

Watching LA play in the finals was a revelation.

Posted by CRoy from Redford MI on 07/30/12 at 11:12 AM ET

Somewhere along in the playoffs I was watching LA, wondering why I enjoyed them so much, and then it occurred to me:  They reminded me of the way Detroit oftentimes used to look.

Posted by BobTheZee on 07/30/12 at 03:25 PM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

well here’s a goal cam someone posted of their beer league hockey game yesterday. it’s pretty cool.

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 07/30/12 at 04:04 PM ET

Keyser S.'s avatar

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/30/12 at 12:37 PM ET

Paul, I’m going to have to correct you on a few items;

The IOC are having discussions as we speak to have ice hockey in the summer olympics. Also, ice hockey was always played in the summer olympics until 1987 A.D. when they changed it to the winter olympics.

Howe, Kelly, Mahovlich, etc. will be playing in the alumni game, however they will be using avatars.

The wings are changing their motiv operandi this year and going with a recently drafted dman to be the 7th.

Again, usually I wouldn’t correct you, but it is a slow hockey day and I had time on my hands.

Posted by Keyser S. on 07/30/12 at 04:07 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Feel free to correct away Keyser.  I am just a fan like most people here, maybe a little more experienced but other than that, just a fan.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/30/12 at 04:10 PM ET

Pierre McGuire invading women’s water polo coverage on NBC.

Posted by nosferatu from Albany, NY on 07/30/12 at 06:02 PM ET

Ice hockey to the summer olympics? I find it hard to believe there are serious discussions going on about that. Any sources?

NHL, and only NHL, might benefit from that. For the Olympic games as a whole it would be bad and possibly disastrous to take the most high-profile event from the Winter games and bury it among the overabundance of high-profile events that the Summer games already has. I believe the European hockey leagues wouldn’t want hockey in the Summer games either because they benefit from having them in the Winter games, as do ice hockey as a whole. There is already a culture in place accepting breaks during the regular season, even for the yearly WC. And, of course, the European leagues have much shorter seasons based on games played, so they have no reason to whine about fatigue and fatigue-related injuries.

I happen to believe that the NHL benefits as well (what with actually being part of “hockey as a whole”), not least based on the incredible buzz generated by the Vancouver games*, even though I also believe a majority of the NHL owners and their beancounting minions utterly fail to realize this.

* Yes, the buzz will not be quite as incredible every Olympic Games, because the conditions in Vancouver will be hard to repeat. Not every OG will be in Canada with favourable broadcasting hours, and of course, Canada winning the damn thing was a once-in-a-lifetime unlikely chance coincidence that won’t happen again THIS generation, even a concussed chicken can find a gold medal once in a while, etc.

Posted by Mr. Fnytelhatt on 07/30/12 at 06:42 PM ET

Well, there’s the Australian Ice Hockey League season going on.  They’re currently in their 20th game of the season.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 07/30/12 at 08:43 PM ET

Cal's avatar

More air time for Curling.

Posted by Cal on 07/30/12 at 09:32 PM ET

Keyser S.'s avatar

Posted by Mr. Fnytelhatt on 07/30/12 at 04:42 PM ET

Sorry Mr Fnytelhtt, my post was supposed to be idiotic. Ice hockey has and always will be played in the winter. It’s in the olympic standards rule, under ethical conduct 3.5 It’s a new rule due to mr bettmans constant badgering of letting him hand the gold, silver, and bronze metals out to the hockey players at the olympic ceremonies. Source? OK, here you go, http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/hockey/comments/your_turn_kk_readers/

Also, avatars don’t exist for hockey players. Yet.

And wings will not be going with a recently drafted dman to start the season. Or will they?

Posted by Keyser S. on 07/30/12 at 10:45 PM ET

Yeah, I totally got that right away, just playing along to see if everyone else was paying attention. red face

(My evaluation of the gold medalists stands, though LOL )

Posted by Mr. Fnytelhatt on 07/30/12 at 11:43 PM ET

Sens’ Daniel Alfredsson returns for his 17th season.

Per CapGeek, one year @ $4.875 million.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 07/31/12 at 11:32 AM ET

While so many readers are concerned by the lack of Wings’ signings this off-season - no sympathy over here - I’m much more interested in who will fill the holes in the lineup from within the organization. In particular, what are the chances of Gustav Nyquist and Brendan Smith making a real impact this year?

Posted by Cory the Jets Fan from Western Australia on 07/31/12 at 12:04 PM ET