Your Shane Doan Offers?

Let’s assume on Monday Shane Doan decides he will start accepting offers from other teams besides the Coyotes.

You as GM of your team has to decide what to offer Doan.

Doan will be 36 on October 10th and was paid $4.55M per year the last five years (CapGeek).

So with that in mind, make your offer for Doan.

Filed in: NHL Teams, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: shane+doan

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

RedMenace's avatar

2 years, $5.25m per.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 07/06/12 at 01:37 PM ET

Ducksworth's avatar

2 years, $5.25m per.

Exactly what I was going to say. Although alot of Wings fans dont like the idea of us pursuing Shane Doan I think he would fit in great here providing more leadership and toughness and dont forget he can put the puck in the net too.

Posted by Ducksworth from Brownstown, MI on 07/06/12 at 01:42 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

2 years, $5.25m per.

Shit, then what is Bobby Ryan worth?

Posted by MoreShoot on 07/06/12 at 01:42 PM ET

awould's avatar

3-years - $4MM cap hit
1 - $4.5MM
2 - $4MM
3 - $3.5MM

He’s like the anti-David Perron, just signed for $3.8MM cap hit for 4 years.  Perron *can* put up 50 per season, but has injury issues. But he’s young and on the upswing; his salary structure increases over the term.

Doan *has* put up 75 per season, but lately is closer to 50 and is on the downswing. Perron gets longer term, lower cap hit. Doan at $4MM cap hit gets less term and more money, partially due to his experience.

Posted by awould on 07/06/12 at 01:44 PM ET

Paul's avatar

My personal opinion, Doan may be looking for a 4yr offer and might take 3 years.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/06/12 at 01:44 PM ET

Cal's avatar

2 years, $5.25m per

Excellent idea - here is a nice pay raise, now get out there and show Franzen how to play the power game.

Posted by Cal on 07/06/12 at 01:44 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Where does he play?  Is he really a fit with Pav?

Posted by MoreShoot on 07/06/12 at 01:45 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Shit, then what is Bobby Ryan worth?

Posted by MoreShoot on 07/06/12 at 11:42 AM ET

$6m minimum…

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 07/06/12 at 01:45 PM ET

4 years ,  $19m (7 + 5 + 4 + 3).

RedWings——-> WALL

Posted by Slavko from ua on 07/06/12 at 01:46 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/06/12 at 11:44 AM ET

3 years would be the absolute maximum term I’d go on a 36 year old (when the season starts, at least) guy who plays as hard as he does, but 2 years with the option of single years after that would be my preference.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 07/06/12 at 01:47 PM ET

jimathor's avatar

2 years, $5.25m per.

Perfect.

Posted by jimathor from The land of Sir Humblepatch of Bumblehound on 07/06/12 at 01:49 PM ET

Don’t forget you can add team options and player options for extra years if you want.  I’d give him the 2 years, $10 million as the base contract, with a team the 3rd year at $5 million with a player option at $3 million.  Maximum - 3 years $15 million, Minimum 3 years - $13 million.  Gives Doan an average pay raise either way.

Posted by CJBear71 on 07/06/12 at 01:55 PM ET

Filppula and two picks or a pick and a prospect for Bobby Ryan, then you get Shane Doan and Alex Semin on a conference call and tell them that you’ve got a one-year contract worth $5.25M all filled out except for the name at the top and whoever says yes first gets it.

Posted by Garth on 07/06/12 at 01:55 PM ET

HockeyFanOhio's avatar

He’s got a 4.5 mil cap hit now so going down from there wouldn’t work.  RedMenace’s 5.25 would work, as long as it’s only for two years.  A scale of 5.25, 5, 4.5 for a cap hit of 4.9 for three years could work if he’s looking for a three year deal.

Ryan is making 5.1 now so 6 probably would be the minimum.

Posted by HockeyFanOhio from Central Ohio on 07/06/12 at 01:56 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by Garth on 07/06/12 at 11:55 AM ET

I just posted this over on HFBoards (so any of you lurking/posting there will now know who I am… yay):

I’m somewhat loathe to trade Filppula, as he’s a very versatile, hard-working player; I’d rather flip Franzen+ to Phoenix for Yandle, then sign Doan:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
Franzen for Yandle; sign Doan; Abby and Q re-sign
FORWARDS
Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Shane Doan ($5.250m)
Gustav Nyquist ($0.875m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Danny Cleary ($2.800m)
Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m)
Drew Miller ($0.838m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.500m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
Jan Mursak ($0.550m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Keith Yandle ($5.250m)
Ian White ($2.875m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.750m)
Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) /

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)
———
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,279,167; BONUSES: $37,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $6,920,833

________

That’s a fairly serviceable, though “everything by committee” roster… meh.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 07/06/12 at 02:09 PM ET

awould's avatar

He’s got a 4.5 mil cap hit now so going down from there wouldn’t work.

It works if his production is diminished. His cap hit now is based on a contract signed when he put up 75 pts/season. He’s down 30% from that, and getting older.

Here’s new contracts signed 2012:
Jiri Hudler - 50 pts, $4MM, 4 years
PA Parenteau - 67 pts, $4MM, 4 years
Saku Koivu - 38 pts, $3.8MM, 1 year
Chris Kunitz - 61 pts, $3.7MM, 2 years
David Perron - 42 pts, $3.8MM, 4 years

Why is Doan’s 50 pts worth over $5MM?

Posted by awould on 07/06/12 at 02:12 PM ET

Keyser S.'s avatar

3 years/$5.5 and worth every penny.

Posted by Keyser S. on 07/06/12 at 02:13 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Why is Doan’s 50 pts worth over $5MM?

Posted by awould on 07/06/12 at 12:12 PM ET

Intangibles.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 07/06/12 at 02:14 PM ET

I wouldn’t mind seeing Doan on the Wings, but not at what he’s been paid.  No more than $4 mil for a guy that’s probably only good for 20 goals at his age.

Posted by henrymalredo from Lansing on 07/06/12 at 02:17 PM ET

Posted by RedMenace from the darkest recesses on 07/06/12 at 12:09 PM ET

No Brunner?

And honestly, I’ve said it on other threads, but Filppula is our Jordan Staal and he really is the best trade bait.  I like him, but on a lot of other teams he’d be a #2 centre but he’s never, ever going to get that chance here and I think you have to move him simply because he has value now and he’s not going to stay in Detroit next year unless we way overpay him.  Plus we know that Anaheim is looking for a #2 forward and we have someone who perfect fits the bill.

And between him and Franzen, as much as it annoys me that Franzen can go into droughts, he’s a proven playoff performer and I’d rather sacrifice a few points in the regular season for a potential monster performance in the playoffs than cheer for Filppula to have another career year in the regular season only to have him disappear in the playoffs.  Even with two lackluster playoffs Franzen is still nearly a point per game.

Posted by Garth on 07/06/12 at 02:19 PM ET

awould's avatar

Posted by RedMenace from the darkest recesses on 07/06/12 at 12:14 PM ET

intangibles gets you an extra million dollars? I agree that Doan’s 50 pts comes with some things that Hudler’s do not. And that Kunitz doesn’t get over 60 pts again in his life. And that Parenteau overachieved (maybe) at just the right time. But, if Doan went to arbitration, he’d have a hard time getting much more than $4MM with these comps out there.

Posted by awould on 07/06/12 at 02:19 PM ET

4 years.

5M
5M
2M
2M

cap hit $3.5M

Posted by azwinger from Phoenix, AZ on 07/06/12 at 02:20 PM ET

awould's avatar

Posted by Garth on 07/06/12 at 12:19 PM ET

I completely agree. I’d love to trade Franzen for Yandle. But if it took Filppula, I’d be ok with that.  He’s like having a sweet corvette when you’ve already got a lamborghini and ferrari in the garage.

Posted by awould on 07/06/12 at 02:22 PM ET

Keyser S.'s avatar

Someone will offer him more than 2 years and more than $5 a year. You can bet on it.

Posted by Keyser S. on 07/06/12 at 02:23 PM ET

Actually his new contract started in 2007-08, so the season previous to that was a 55 point season.  His 78 point season was after he re-signed.

Also, he re-signed in Feb 2007 when the cap was $44M and nobody knew what it was going to be for the 2007-08 season.

Posted by Garth on 07/06/12 at 02:23 PM ET

Year 1: 5.25
Year 2: 5.00
Year 3: 4.75

.....

Posted by Pete the Jailer from Buffalo, NY on 07/06/12 at 02:24 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by Garth on 07/06/12 at 12:19 PM ET

I don’t think Brunner starts the year with the Wings, unless he absolutely tears is up in camp.

See, Flip and Franzen are where we’re going to disagree; I would much rather have the consistent effort and versatility over a guy who *might* score a few more goals in the Playoffs—and takes several game stretches off to boot.

That being said, if Anaheim wanted Filppula as a starting point for Bobby Ryan, depending on the other pieces I’d be hard pressed to say no.

Posted by awould on 07/06/12 at 12:19 PM ET

Ah, but Doan isn’t going to arbitration, and the FA market is pretty dried up as it is. I also think playing with guys like Filppula and Zetterberg would inflate his point totals a bit (as is claimed happened with Hudler wink ).

Do I personally think he’s worth that much? Not necessarily. Do I see him getting that? Absolutely.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 07/06/12 at 02:25 PM ET

The other thing is that Phoenix probably isn’t likely to take on a contract like that, what with their financial situation and all…

But I would rather send picks/prospects for Yandle…  And/or one or two of our extra forwards…

Posted by Garth on 07/06/12 at 02:26 PM ET

Did you have a straight face when you typed that?

“The evidence that can be used in arbitration cases:
•The player’s “overall performance” including statistics in all previous seasons.
•Injuries, illnesses and the number of games played.
•The player’s length of service with the team and in the NHL.
•The player’s “overall contribution” to the team’s success or failure.
•The player’s “special qualities of leadership or public appeal.”
•The performance and salary of any player alleged to be “comparable” to the player in the dispute.”  (http://proicehockey.about.com/od/nhlfreeagents/a/arbitration.htm)

Which of these factors do you think convinces an arbitrator that Doan deserves a pay cut?

Posted by Garth on 07/06/12 at 02:29 PM ET

awould's avatar

Posted by Garth on 07/06/12 at 12:23 PM ET

You’re right on Doan’s contract. My mistake.

Posted by RedMenace from the darkest recesses on 07/06/12 at 12:25 PM ET
Posted by Keyser S. on 07/06/12 at 12:23 PM ET

I don’t really disagree that he’ll get more than I’m saying he’s worth. And I do agree someone will offer him more. But I don’t think he’s worth it.

Posted by awould on 07/06/12 at 02:30 PM ET

4.55m, and at most 5m. He’s old and his point production might fall off. If he wants to win a few hundred grand won’t matter if he’s had a smart financial manager his whole career.

On the flip side, our cap space will just sit there if we don’t use it, so the number doesn’t matter too much even if it is something as high as 6.

Finally, I really feel it could all be a pipe dream to get even him, as my guy for now says he’ll stay in the desert.

Posted by Zach Alexander on 07/06/12 at 02:33 PM ET

2 years /12million

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 07/06/12 at 02:33 PM ET

awould's avatar

It’s not about whether he deserves a pay cut. It’s about what he deserves now. 2012 contracts for 50 pt/season players are all hovering around $4MM.  Do they give him more because he already makes more? Maybe. Though I don’t think that’s a very good policy to carry into a contract negotiation.

Posted by awould on 07/06/12 at 02:34 PM ET

Rest assured- Buffalo will be in the mix.  Heavy. Matter of fact- Buffalo will give him top offer if he chooses to leave Phoenix and than trade for Bobby Ryan. Watch!

Posted by Doug from Branson on 07/06/12 at 02:35 PM ET

Posted by awould on 07/06/12 at 12:34 PM ET

Fair enough, I’m not even saying I think he’s worth a raise or not and I’m not even sure I would want to pursue him, just saying that if it came down to abritration he wouldn’t be getting a pay cut…

Posted by Garth on 07/06/12 at 02:37 PM ET

awould's avatar

Posted by Garth on 07/06/12 at 12:37 PM ET

In reality, probably not. Because he’s Shane Doan. I’d trade 2 Shane Doan’s for 1 Chris Kunitz for the money then.

Posted by awould on 07/06/12 at 02:42 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Max I’d go is 3yrs at 5.5 mil per. Max. I feckin’ hate Doan but also realize what the guy can bring to this team. Heart, meaness and lots o’ grit.
Now if’n I was to trade I realize Smith and Flip are prolly the guys that are most coveted but I’d be hard pressed to move Flip. He drove me nuts playing center with his utter lack of shooting the puck but now that Babs put him in his natural spot on the wing he’s only gonna improve (IMO) and his defensive play is too good to give up.
Smith I wouldn’t move. Nope, not gonna do it. Holland won’t either.
Franzen I’d move in a heartbeat. But that’s just me. Holland LOVES him.
So I doubt a trade will happen unless it’s small potatoes.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 07/06/12 at 03:05 PM ET

Doan is UFA; he’s free to sign with anyone he wants.  There’s no need to trade assets for a UFA.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 07/06/12 at 03:11 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by awould on 07/06/12 at 12:42 PM ET

Chris Kuntz is one of the only players I might actually vomit over picking up (if it ever happened). I freaking hate that guy.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 07/06/12 at 03:16 PM ET

I would give him a tour of the horse ranches in Washington County before I made any offer, that’s for sure. Shane Doan’s not going anywhere that doesn’t have horse ranches. Why? I don’t know, but there’s no way he does.

Posted by larry from pitt on 07/06/12 at 03:21 PM ET