Your Opinion Of The Pegnuins/Islanders Game

351 penalty minutes and 16 fighting majors tells you all you need to know about last night’s Penguins/Islanders game.

Did this game go overboard, will the NHL come down hard with fines and suspensions?

The video below basically is 12 minutes of fights and a post last night on KK has been active with discussion regarding the game.

The Penguins continue today with that old-school feel by practicing in Central Park today at 11:30am.

Filed in: NHL Teams, New York Islanders, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >       Next »

Red Winger's avatar

My opinion of the Pens / Isles game? A thing of beauty! (at least on the scoreboard)

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 02/12/11 at 12:46 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

There needs to be some pretty big suspensions.

Godard leaving the bench for a fight is 10 games, that should stick.

Gillies with the rule 48 on Tangradi should be somewhere in the 5-8 game range.

Haley engaging Brent Johnson after being tossed is maybe one.

Martin sucker-punching Talbot from behind 3-4.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/12/11 at 12:47 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Amend the Gillies one.  Watching that again, I say 15 games.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/12/11 at 12:51 PM ET

It was by far the worst game to watch I’ve seen all year. Not because of the score, but because no matter what goonery took place before, both teams still seemed the need to start some more. The game lasted almost an hour longer than it should have, as well, dragging it out. To me, the Martin sucker punch was something I don’t ever want to see in the game again. Too Steve Moore incident like. Of course, given the NHL’s inconsistency, I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s not suspended a game. If it were me, I’d send a message that a fight is one thing, but that cowardly BS deserves 10+ games.

Finally, all I can say is that I hope the NHL does talk sternly to both teams now, and before their game in April. Presumably, then, the Isles will have nothing to lose, and the Penguins will be looking toward a 1st round playoff series. Crosby and others could be back. We don’t need any of this stuff going on then.

Posted by penguinsfan on 02/12/11 at 12:56 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

I’m still not convinced that was a sucker-punch, it seemed to me that Talbot fell down as soon as he was touched the first time, and that might’ve been a pull so the players would be face to face and fight.

But even if it was, that’s nothing like the Moore incident. Moore was shot from behind, with no warning. At the very least, the Islander first touch came as a warning to Talbot go down.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 02/12/11 at 01:00 PM ET

I don’t get how you don’t think that’s a sucker punch Herm.  I responded to you in the other post.

I think the refs for this game should be suspended.  They lost control of the game and could have done a much better job of minimizing the mayhem.

Godard best get 10 games.  He deserves it.  I like how he stuck up for Johnson, but it’s a pretty black and white rule.

Gilles and Haley should each get 8-10.

I have no problem with the Isles getting revenge, but Talbot sucker punch, Tangradi getting concussed and pummeled on, and Haley going after Johnson presumably because DiPietro thought he was going to have a square dance or something, was just way over the top.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 02/12/11 at 01:11 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

And I aswered back. Wrong choice of words by my part.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 02/12/11 at 01:13 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

I agree with Guilherme, I didn’t see a punch, I saw a grab, a cock of the hand ready and when Talbot covers up, Martin does nothing. That said, the act of looking to do something there with a guy skating away from you is a couple games. My thoughts on the game itself is it’s fine. We talk about how there’s no respect for between players with headshots, etc. I’d actually like to see more of these types of games and here’s why: maybe the NHL and NHLPA will get the message the players are sick and tired of seeing their teammates dropped by rule 48 violations and watch close friends have their careers shortened. I hope the next time Pittsburgh and Columbus play this happens or Pittsburgh and Washington based on the most recent “incidents”. If the league isn’t going to do anything (and by that I mean the NHL and the PA), then players will have to take matters into their own hands and you’ll see more of this. Do I want to turn this into the 70s all over again when mediocre teams tried to copy the Flyers way of bullying (without the scoring/goaltending talent they had), no, but just enough may send a louder message to the league in general.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 02/12/11 at 01:18 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

Or Devils/Hurricanes, etc., don’t want to be accused of singling out the Penguins in this.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 02/12/11 at 01:21 PM ET

I enjoyed the game, I definitely wouldn’t want every hockey game to be like this, but they are exciting to see every once in a while…

Posted by wingsnut25 from Cheboygan, MI on 02/12/11 at 01:24 PM ET

Pharazon's avatar

Pens got what they deserved afaic

Posted by Pharazon from England on 02/12/11 at 01:46 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Obviously Godard and Pepto’s punishments are automatic, so no use discussing those.

I’m not saying the Gillies hit wasn’t dirty—it absolutely was—but I was more appalled with the trash talking. Maybe it looked worse on TV, but it sure looked like he was taunting a guy that may have sustained a serious head injury. The hit didn’t bother me nearly as much as that attitude. I’d give him 12 games—2 for the hit, and 10 for being a total immature, classless dick.

The Martin suckerpunch is an interesting one. My gut reaction is 12 games, if not more. Look at the Bertuzzi/Moore situation. Granted, Talbot didn’t break any vertebrae, but I guess the point is that suspensions should focus highly on intent, and result should be the secondary factor.

If Martin had come up to Talbot, face to face, and laid the lumber on him, or started throwing, that would be one thing. But from behind like that is just insanely stupid and unacceptable.

Another factor here is that while Godard earned his 10 games by breaking an explicit rule, I have a hard time thinking Godard should sit longer than Gillies or Martin. Both of the things Gillies and Martin did were worse. So to me, I look at Godard getting 10, and immediately my opinion is, that sets the bar, Gillies and Martin start at 12 and go from there.

One thing that could be a little “controversial” about this… and excuse my ignorance, someone can correct me, and please do… but I don’t recall Talbot being suspended for his flying elbow, which was no doubt one of the main reasons the Isles were looking for retribution.

I’m not saying that to excuse the Isles… like I’ve said, there are a couple guys on that team that deserve heavy suspensions from this mess. I just point it out because you know that if Gillies and Martin get the book thrown at them, the cry coming out of Nassau County will be about how Talbot got away with the hit that “started” all of it.

My point in bringing that up is, will the NHL think about that when they look into suspensions for Gillies and Martin? They shouldn’t, but given how odd their decisions are, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them throw a couple games at both players and act like little-to-nothing happened.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 02/12/11 at 01:47 PM ET

Godard should get his ten, and Gillies should be sitting a long time for the hit on Tangradi, he had no other intention than to take his head off.  Knowing the NHL, it will depend on how bad Tangradi is really hurt.  If they were smart they’d just throwing the book at everybody and this headshot crap would disappear real quick.

Give Haley a couple of games for his clown show.

Martin’s punch wasn’t nearly as bad as Bertuzzi’s hit on Moore, but is more of a reflection on how bad Bertuzzi’s sucker punch was.  Give him 4 games, but this being the NHL, who knows.

Slap some heavy fines on the coaches, let Bylsma sit a game for Godard coming off the bench.

Posted by Django on 02/12/11 at 01:59 PM ET

“Talbot didn’t break any vertebrae, but I guess the point is that suspensions should focus highly on intent, and result should be the secondary factor.”

They should be, but they never have been.

“Another factor here is that while Godard earned his 10 games by breaking an explicit rule, I have a hard time thinking Godard should sit longer than Gillies or Martin.”

That’s why I think the ten games is a good rule.  There really isn’t any leeway.  You come off the bench to fight, you get ten games.  How many incidents have them been of this since the rule was put in place?  The NHL needs to adopt a similar approach for any intent to injure plays.  You automatically sit 10 games, fine the shit out of the coach.  No of this wheel of justice 3, 4 games crap.

Posted by Django on 02/12/11 at 02:09 PM ET

Jennemy of the Skate's avatar

Omg, I’m bummed I missed this thing of beauty. The Isles beat the Bitchburgh Bettmans 9-3???? And also beat the crap out of ‘em. Ha!

Posted by Jennemy of the Skate from the bar car on the stress train on 02/12/11 at 02:18 PM ET

I know the Pens were without Comrie, but they were treated like altar boys last night.

I agree with JJ about the potential suspensions.  Gillies and Martin for Islanders and Godard for the Pens.  I’m not certain that Haley gets one.

Posted by Unicorn Force from DC (but like everyone here, I'm not a local) on 02/12/11 at 02:25 PM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

What about the punches he threw at Tangradi while he was laying facedown on the ice?  Tack on some games for that part?

10 for Godard.

15-20 for Gilles.

Martin, 10-12.

Everything else…I mean, Haley just fought.  He didn’t sucker punch anyone.  He went a little bit crazy during his back-to-back Talbot/Johnson Wrestlemania main event, but other than that - I don’t remember anything that he did that I have a real problem.  He actually played a helluva game.

Oh, and Tavares’ two-handed slash on Letang’s foot…that should get a couple of games.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 02/12/11 at 02:36 PM ET

Alan's avatar

I was busy watching ATL-NYR. When that was over, and I saw what I missed here, I was extremely saddened. This is one Islanders game I would have paid to see.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 02/12/11 at 02:47 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

Pens got what they deserved afaic

For what? A clean hip check by Talbot in the last meeting that just happened to result in an Islanders injury? For Dipietro decking Cooke in the last game, which resulted in Johnson having to fight him?

Either you have hatred for the Penguins that is blinding you or you’re just stupid.

Posted by cs6687 on 02/12/11 at 02:55 PM ET

Nice to see Pens fans suddenly concerned about the presence of dirty play in the NHL.

They’re a little late to the party, and I’m sure they’ll be out the door as soon as Cooke lays his 200th nasty hit on someone, but it’s nice they’re here for a couple songs and a drink anyway.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 02/12/11 at 03:07 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

Cooke has done his share of dirty things, no doubt. But I’ve never seen him try to ‘Bertuzzi’ someone. I’ve never seen him taunt a player who just suffered a concussion. I’ve never seen him skate so far as to engage the other team’s goaltender in a fight. What the Islanders did last night was classless and despicable. It has no part in the game. Cooke’s history has nothing to do with what happened last night. The Islanders were barbaric.

Posted by cs6687 on 02/12/11 at 03:12 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

No kidding.

How convenient.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 02/12/11 at 03:18 PM ET

Posted by cs6687 on 02/12/11 at 11:55 AM ET

I read most of the comments last night, and props to you, the only one who got it right, and got it right with some class or restraint.

How many people in this thread watched last week’s game and last night’s game? I think very few.

Earlier in the season Cooke ran into Dipietro three times and got penalized twice.
Last week Talbot made two huge hits on one shift, and the second shoulder-to-shoulder hit spun Comeau and he somehow got a concussion, didn’t come near to touching his head, or his head hitting the ice.
Dipietro gave Cooke a shot, a scrum ensued, Johnson motioned toward Dipietro, and Dipietro obliged, and got one-punched.
Last night the Islanders got up 6-0 and stopped playing hockey.

Highlights are fun to watch, and tell a bit of a story, but the second half of that game last night was embarrassing for the NHL and the Islanders. No, their fans don’t think so because they have very little else to be happy about for a while, and wanted revenge for getting beat in a hockey way. No, other team’s fans don’t think so because they love to see the Penguins get beat. It was embarrassing as a hockey game in the second half. Gillies screaming at Tangradi and the trainer sums the night up.

Don’t forget that the refs threw out Rupp and Engelland 5:00 into the second during the first fracas. That still left guys like Gillies, that 1 game rookie, and Hamonic on the other side, while Pittsburgh had Godard left, who was barely on the ice because Pittsburgh still had a game to play, and their pride to salvage.

Yes, Pittsburgh got beat up on the cheap-shot side, and Talbot and Adams, who are poor fighters but take on anyone, got beat in their fights, but everyone held their own.

As Bylsma said last night, after being asked about the game they play later this season, “You don’t forget a game like this.”

Posted by NathanBC on 02/12/11 at 03:25 PM ET

What alot of people missed in the Martin - Talbot incident, was that Talbot took a swipe with his stick at Koskinen in the Islanders end.  Martin followed him to center ice in an effort to stick up for our goalie and Talbot did the “manly” thing and fell to the ground and covered up.  Last week, when he took a run at Comeau, Comeau challenged him and he hid behind his teamates.  I think Martin wanted at him before he got a chance to hide again.  That’s Talbot’s style, and from Martin’s perspective you can’t continue to leave our goalies unprotected.

Posted by RogerNYLA on 02/12/11 at 03:26 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Posted by Django on 02/12/11 at 11:09 AM ET

Agree completely with your points.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Milford, CT on 02/12/11 at 11:36 AM ET

Very true, fair point. I don’t think 15+ is out of line. I just wanted to stress that Gillies (and everyone involved in NHL hockey, for that matter) should be embarrassed with the way he taunted a player that he had just cowardly injured. That was the worst part of it, to me.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Milford, CT on 02/12/11 at 11:36 AM ET

I agree. I don’t really think Haley deserves a suspension, even for going for that extra fight. At least Haley face guys man-on-man and did it right.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Milford, CT on 02/12/11 at 11:36 AM ET

I don’t really disagree, but I find this comment to be real funny coming from a Crosby fan.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 02/12/11 at 03:27 PM ET

Aren’t you splitting hairs here?

Listen, it was a brawl.  Gillies crossed the line.  So did Goddard.  Take your lumps an move on.  Neither team was particularly saintly.  To call one team out as classless is just a tad bit unfair, no?

Posted by Unicorn Force from DC (but like everyone here, I'm not a local) on 02/12/11 at 03:34 PM ET

Look the bottom line is that Penguins have been running amok this year.  Matt Cooke plays the game with the sole intent to hurt someone.  Pittsburgers didn’t seem to have a problem with Cooke’s play.  Talbot’s hit on Comeau didn’t look like he made contact with the head, but if you watch very closely, Talbot was going for his head.  The last point I want to make, is the complete lack of class following the last Penguin-Islanders game.  I’m not talking about the fights or the hits.  After the Johnson - DP fight, Penguins players could be seen on the bench laughing and giving each other high fives.  The Islanders obviously took that personnel and they reacted like they should have last night.  You can’t have a team openly laugh at you and then not retaliate in some way.  You can bet the Islanders earned alot of respect around the league last night, and you can bet alot of teams were glad to see the Penguins finally get what they deserved!!!

Posted by RogerNYLA on 02/12/11 at 03:35 PM ET

chuckinrlp's avatar

Martin should sit for 20 games at least. The intent was there, plain and simple. Gillies should also be gone for 12-15.
As for Cooke getting 2 penalties against DiPietro in the last meeting, it is clear he only deserved 1, and that was borderline. He was clearly pushed into DiPietro on two other occassions, and he got an undeserved penalty on the one.
The refs lost control of this game at the start, but the league should have been proactive and issued warnings to both teams going into last nights game.

Posted by chuckinrlp on 02/12/11 at 03:35 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

Talbot did nothing that justified a sucker punch. The retaliation towards Talbot was barbaric. Are people really this stupid?

Posted by cs6687 on 02/12/11 at 03:42 PM ET

One last point.  I will admit the Islanders were looking for some retribution after being laughed at.  But from the end of the second period and most of the third period, the Penguins seemed to be initiating most of the fights.  Both Okposo and Grabner were slammed into, in front of the net and collided with the Penguin goalie (I thought that was kind of stupid on the Penguins part, they could have hurt their own goalie), and I think the Penguins started to show their frustration.  I don’t know if the Gillies incident would have happened if the Penguins didn’t start playing chippy.  I understand why the Penguins would resort to that.  They were getting spanked all over the ice.  I think it was 7-2 and half of their team was at the nurses office.  They were’ clearly embarrassed and frustrated, but that doesn’t make them a victim in all this.

Posted by RogerNYLA on 02/12/11 at 03:42 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

Hardly. Not when loser Gillies is yapping at Tangradi who was laying on the ice with a concussion. Your team is a laughing stock.

As for Cooke, if you read any Penguins boards instead of assuming, a lot of people aren’t happy with Cooke. Some want Shero to get rid of him. He’s done some stupid things in my mind too. The people who say ‘the Penguins are getting what they deserve’ are morons. The Penguins did nothing in the last game between these two teams to warrant this kind of behaivor. The Islanders are losers, cowards, and barbarians.

Posted by cs6687 on 02/12/11 at 03:45 PM ET

Talbot knew Martin wanted to fight him.  Talbot did his usual ploy, he tried to run away and then he fell to the ice like a girl.  He wanted no part of Martin, just like he wanted no part of Comeau.  He’s a wimp and if he wants to play dirty, then he needs to be man enough to not back down in a fight!!!

Posted by RogerNYLA on 02/12/11 at 03:45 PM ET

Honestly, i hated it that it was happening to the penguins, but i commend the Islanders for it.  This is the type of game as a fan you hope happens when your team was mistreated.  The Islanders were definitely mistreated last game by the penguins, at least in their eyes and they came out and beat the penguins (WBS Baby Penguins) at all areas, from the score sheet to nearly every physical confrontation (cheap shot or not).

This is actually the type of response I wanted the penguins to have towards the capitals.  I know it goes against how some feel the game of hockey should be played, but sometimes players need to stick up for each other, and that is exactly what the Islanders did last night.  Good for them.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 02/12/11 at 03:46 PM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 02/12/11 at 12:27 PM ET

Fair enough, but I’m a Penguins fan.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 02/12/11 at 03:47 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

Talbot has nothing resembling a bad reputation in the league (other than Red Wings fans who might dislike him for two goals in Game 7). He has never been suspended. He’s one of the league’s good guys. Martin is a hack.

Posted by cs6687 on 02/12/11 at 03:49 PM ET

cs6687, do you think it’s appropriate for a team to openly laugh at another team?
If you listen to some of the Islanders after the game, they specifically brought up that incident.  They mentioned that they didn’t like being laughed at and I don’t blame them.  I agree, I didn’t like Gillies taunting, but what do you call the Penguins laughing on their bench and high fiving while DP was down on the ice.  That image played so much more on last nights game then anything.  So don’t whine to me about Gillies unless you’re prepared to admit what the Penguins did was just as bad.

Posted by RogerNYLA on 02/12/11 at 03:54 PM ET

He has never been suspended. He’s one of the league’s good guys.

I agree completely.  Talbot is really a good person both on and off the ice.  He is out in the Pittsburgh community at least twice a week with sick kids or helping community hockey.  On the ice is plays hard, but fair.  The problem is when you score two goals in game 7 to beat the red wings, you are instant enemy #1.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 02/12/11 at 03:54 PM ET

I guarantee that none of the penguins knew he was hurt.  Rick D went immediately off the ice.  The penguins were laughing for sure but it was more to do with a goalie fight (1st goalie fight since 2005 i believe), than anything else.  But whatever… the Islanders used that as motivation and it worked.  Lets just not go crazy here and say that they were laughing at him being injured.  No one had any idea of that.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 02/12/11 at 03:57 PM ET

Oh and Darren Dreger is reporting that 5’8 Jack Hillen has a concussion from a cheap shot form 6’3 Eric Goddard from last nights game.  Yeah those Penguins are so innocent!!!  Unbelievable!!!

Posted by RogerNYLA on 02/12/11 at 03:58 PM ET

The Penguins knew he was hurt.  Brent Johnson was at the bench when they high fived and Brent Johnson knew DP was hurt, believe me!

Posted by RogerNYLA on 02/12/11 at 04:01 PM ET