Your 2012 Hockey Hall Of Fame Inductees

Pavel Bure, Adam Oates, Joe Sakic and Mats Sundin.

added 3:12pm,

TORONTO (June 26, 2012) — Bill Hay, Chairman and CEO of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Jim Gregory and Pat Quinn, Co-Chairmen of the Hockey Hall of Fame’s Selection Committee, announced today Pavel Bure, Adam Oates, Joe Sakic and Mats Sundin have been elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame in the Player Category. The vote took place today at the annual meeting of the Selection Committee in Toronto.

“The Hockey Hall of Fame is proud to welcome these four hockey legends as Honoured Members,” said Jim Gregory. “Their contributions to the game of hockey are well documented and their election to the Hockey Hall of Fame is richly deserved.”

Pavel Bure, a native of Moscow, Russia, joined the Vancouver Canucks for the 1991-92 NHL season and that season won the Calder Trophy as the NHL’s Rookie of the Year. A six-time NHL All-Star, he was named to the first team in 1994. As a Florida Panther, he was the NHL’s top goal scorer for two consecutive seasons, from 1999 to 2001, before finishing his career with the New York Rangers in 2003.

Adams Oates played three seasons with RPI of the ECAC before signing as an undrafted free agent with the Detroit Red Wings in 1985. He went on to play 19 NHL seasons with seven teams, including four 100-plus point seasons. The sixth all-time NHL career leader in assists with 1,063, Oates retired in 2004.

“Growing up I was a guy who was kind of overlooked and I was fortunate to have the opportunity to go to RPI and have the time for my game to mature,” said Oates. “This is a tremendous honour and I look back and realize how lucky I was to have great coaches to help me along the way.”

Joe Sakic grew up in Burnaby, British Columbia, before starring with the Swift Current Broncos of the Western Hockey League, winning the CHL’s Player of the Year Award in in 1987-88. Drafted 15th overall by the Quebec Nordiques in the 1987 Entry Draft, Joe moved with the team to Colorado and went on to play his entire 20-year career with the same organization. Sakic captained the team for 17 seasons, second longest in NHL history and won Stanley Cups in 1996 and 2001. An NHL First Team All-Star on three occasions, Sakic also played for Canada at three Olympic Games, winning gold and being named MVP in 2002.

“As a kid I always dreamed about making the NHL, but never really thought at all about the Hockey Hall of Fame,” said Sakic. “I was fortunate to play 20 seasons, which gave me the opportunity to build on my list of accomplishments. Having great teammates and coaches was a key component of this.”

Mats Sundin was born in Bromma, Sweden and was the first European born player to be drafted first overall in the NHL Entry Draft, in 1989 by the Quebec Nordiques. Mats spent 13 seasons with the Toronto Maple Leafs, becoming the franchise’s all-time leader in goals with 420 and assists with 567. Sundin is the first Swedish-born player to reach 1,000 points in the NHL. He represented his home country internationally on 14 occasions, with the culmination being an Olympic gold medal in 2006.

“Three years have passed since I retired and it makes me realize how privileged I was to play my entire career in Canada, where hockey really matters,” said Sundin. “Having my hobby and love for a sport become my livelihood really allowed me to live out my dream.”

The 2012 Induction Celebration will be held on Monday, November 12th at the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto.

Filed in: NHL Teams, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: hockey+hall+of+fame

Comments

gusoline's avatar

Wow, guess Shanahan p%$#d off more than just fans in the new job…

Posted by gusoline on 06/26/12 at 04:12 PM ET

phillyphever's avatar

Cue the angry Red Wing fans in 3…2…1….

Posted by phillyphever on 06/26/12 at 04:13 PM ET

Why all of the hatred for the Wings and their fans Philly? Does it have anything to do with four games in 1997?

Posted by LGRWeh on 06/26/12 at 04:22 PM ET

Cue the angry Red Wing fans in 3…2…1….

Here I am!

Regardless of which team is my favorite, this is just another example of how messed up the Hall selection process is. Purely on stats alone, he was the leading goal scorer of those likely to get the call. Only Sakic and Oates had more assists. And as I saw this morning in another article, he’s the only 600+ goal scorer with over 2000 PIM.

Posted by beardChamp on 06/26/12 at 04:30 PM ET

Cue the angry Red Wing fans in 3…2…1….

Not Angry, He’ll get there.  but certainly surprised that Bure and Sundin got in ahead of him.  All of the press seemed to think that Sakic and Shanny we’re automatic on the first ballot.

Posted by jwad on 06/26/12 at 04:30 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Cue the angry Red Wing fans in 3…2…1….

Posted by phillyphever on 06/26/12 at 03:13 PM ET

Better idea, you explain how Shanahan was reasonably left out.

In the end, he will be a HOFer, so it’s not a huge deal. I think what kept him out this year as that on individual tangibles, he doesn’t have the PPG of the other three (Sakic was an obvious first-ballot guy, so he’s not in this discussion), and doesn’t have a goal crown like Bure or an assist crown like Oates.

I’m all for not putting too much weight on a team accomplishment like Cups when it comes to an individual award, which is what the HOF is. But in reality the impact of Brendan Shanahan on the 1997 Red Wings compared to the 1996 incarnation was quite obvious and so he probably does deserve some individual credit for the three Cups.

Perhaps more importantly, Shanahan had one of the most unique skill sets of his era. The weren’t many players from his era that were comparable in their combination of size/toughness and goal scoring ability… maybe Leclair, Roberts, and Stevens. Shanny was more durable and had a much longer prime than those players. Shanahan also scored goals consistently across both the higher-scoring era he played in through the early ‘90s, and the low-scoring era that comprised the final decade of his career.

Compared in particular to a guy like Oates—who remember, was a Red Wing wink—Shanhan’s value was comprised most of goals. And a goal is always worth more than an assist.

Again, he will get in sooner than later, so this isn’t the end of the world. But it does seem to me he belonged in this class over Oates or Bure.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 06/26/12 at 04:34 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

I’m really surprised by this.  I would have bet money that Shanny would get in this year.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 06/26/12 at 04:35 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

FWIW, I think all these guys deserved it. But I think this year’s class should’ve been Sakic, Shanahan, Sundin, and whoever. I could make a strong case for any of Oates, Bure, or even Dave Andreychuk as the fourth.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 06/26/12 at 04:35 PM ET

All four players are very deserving of this honour, though I also thought Shanahan would get in.

About time for Bure and Oates.

Posted by Mick Kern from Toronto on 06/26/12 at 04:57 PM ET

gusoline's avatar

On a side note, Oates is definitely having a great day.  HHOF and his first head coaching job.

Posted by gusoline on 06/26/12 at 05:12 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Inducting Oates seems to be a sort of olive branch by voters.  My wife didn’t understand why he was a big deal, so I explained he was probably the last of the “Pass First, Second, and Third” men.  She then made a Hall & Oates joke, which then forced me to explain his time in St. Louis… *sigh*...

Sundin and Bure surprise me.  Especially Sundin.  Sundin is proof that playing in Toronto somehow gives you extra credit.  Guys like Sundin and Gilmour would not really even be in the mix had they not ever played in Toronto.

Posted by Primis on 06/26/12 at 11:37 PM ET

shazam88's avatar

Posted by Primis on 06/26/12 at 10:37 PM ET

Hold on.  Sundin is worthy of being in the Hall, just not ahead of Shanahan.  He (Sundin) had a great career, typically putting up 30+ goals a season and averaging over a PPG for his career, plus he deserves credit, for hanging in and being the captain in a difficult, stressful market.  But stats alone, he gets in sooner or later, regardless of where he played.

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 06/27/12 at 12:36 AM ET