Your Input Is Requested

It's Friday, time to let your hair down a bit and start planning for the weekend.

My plans are of course to watch some hockey.

So I ask you, who/what has impressed you during the first round of the playoffs?

Or what has disappointed you?

Players, teams, coaches, GM's, the NHL itself (how about the new playoff format or refs), all are topics of discussion.

Have at it, your time since you along with the playes make the game what it is.

Filed in: NHL Teams, NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Evilpens's avatar

The Pens !!!! BUT this is what I expected with an OrganIzation that needs an enema !!

Posted by Evilpens on 04/25/14 at 12:57 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Very impressed by the CBJ fans

Slightly disappointed with the Red Wings. Didn’t really expect them to beat Boston, but the inconsistent play int eh series was (is) nonetheless disappointing.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/25/14 at 12:59 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Impressed with Dallas.  I think Nill is on his way to a Western superpower.

Disappointed by the officiating in basically every series.  Even with lowered expectations that the years have taught us to have, it’s been sub-par.

Posted by Primis on 04/25/14 at 01:01 PM ET

Disappointed in:

-Inconsistent reffing.. old news, I know.  But it’s still really, really annoying.
-Milan Lucic.  Just stop, guy.  Stop.
-Ben Bishop not being available for TBL.
-NEW YORK RANGERS BLOCKING ALL THE SHOTS.  Just give it a rest, will ya??
-My internet connection bouncing through St. Louis, preventing me from NBC streaming those games.  Booooooo.
-The same six commercials NBC streams during their online broadcast.  Especially the Super Bowl one.

Impressed by:

-High scoring playoff games.  No need for explanation.
-That one crappy goal Marc Andre-Fleury let in and everyone is throwing him under the bus now.  (Can you tell yet that I iz Flyerz fan?)
-Nathan MacKinnon.  Seriously.  Wow.
-David Backes.  Not for him being a “hero” for getting up after that hit… but seriously, how did he get up after that hit??
-Gustavson (sp?) last night for Detroit!!!
-Varlamov because he makes everything look spectacular.
-Rask because he makes everything look really easy.
-Teemu Selanne’s son for that HOF tweet.

I think it’s been a really great first round so far… Haven’t been able to catch every single game but I try to spread it around.

Posted by rklpro on 04/25/14 at 01:10 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Thanks for joining KK rklpro and great first comment.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/25/14 at 01:15 PM ET

Thanks Paul!  I’ve been a reader for quite a while—LOVE the site!

Posted by rklpro on 04/25/14 at 01:18 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I’m, unfortunately, most impressed with Tuukka Rask, especially the way he handles himself in scrums around the net. I think the Wings could take the Bruins in five or six games if Boston had Howard and Detroit had Rask.

I’m totally underwhelmed by the play of both Franzen and Legwand. Their size should be a factor in this series, but Tatar hits people harder than either of those two. Just pathetic.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 04/25/14 at 01:50 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Impressed by: the suspension to Seabrook,  I was hoping he’d get 5 games, but I was glad to see they actually gave him 3.  I wouldn’t have been surprised by the NHL only giving 1 game.

Disappointed by: Nyquist.  I knew it was improbable to keep the scoring up, but he has been silent against Boston.

Kudos to…Montreal.  They made childsplay of TB (even though TB didn’t have Bishop).  A fired up team and fan base at the Bell Centre should make for a good series between them and Boston.

Posted by TreKronor on 04/25/14 at 02:33 PM ET

RockWestfall711's avatar

I have been encouraged by the scoring and that “go for it/attack” hockey seems to be replacing “shutdown” hockey as the path to success.  The stick work in the playoffs has been absurd and over the top and I cannot understand why the NHL doesn’t crack down on it hard as it is there in Hi Def for all to see.

Despite the dirty filthy play and the cheap shots, the NHL playoffs are the most compelling and exciting event in all of sports and can’t miss TV.

I really like speed and up-tempo play of many teams so far and it gives me hope for the future of the game.

Hoping for a Kings comeback to add to the great story lines!

Posted by RockWestfall711 from Las Vegas on 04/25/14 at 02:39 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Disappointed in:

Posted by rklpro on 04/25/14 at 01:10 PM ET

I’m beyond sick of that also.  If I hear Magic Carpet Ride one more time I’m going to stab my ear drums out.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 04/25/14 at 03:31 PM ET

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from Where the GM likes his team. on 04/25/14 at 03:31 PM ET

SERIOUSLY.  And I can’t stand the repeat one—it’s clear they have two different versions of the same commercial (the guy in his recliner) edited for different time slots and they just air them back to back.  And then the Super Bowl ad because no one EVER remembers the Super Bowl.

Posted by rklpro on 04/25/14 at 03:34 PM ET

Posted by scooter on 04/25/14 at 03:38 PM ET

RockWestfall711's avatar

give credit to the Sharks for playing great, hard-nosed hockey, but did anyone guess the Kings would be down 3-0? I think we all would agree that the Sharks-Kings series would be a good one, but to see the Kings abandon the scheme that has made them one of the best defensive teams the past few years was a shock. Quick looked human, young defensemen showed their experience. That too me was really surprising.[/quote

I think the Sharks have simply had too much speed, Greene, Regeher, Doughty, Mitchell all hurting on blue line.  Quick has not been dominant.  As a KIngs fan I still respsect and enjoy the Sharks attack and go for it style.

Posted by RockWestfall711 from Las Vegas on 04/25/14 at 04:48 PM ET

The league lets Chicago get away with destroying their opponents captain (and possibly their chances). 3 games in exchange for the opposition’s captain is quite a bargain! Can you imagine if any player hit Toews or Crosby right between the eyes and they only got three games-yeah right not in this universe. Chicago deserves revenge, if St Louis goes down without exacting any revenge, will it set a precedent?

Franzen a no show-Is that surprising considering he’s been absent for the past 4 seasons?

Howard plays poorly and blames it on his squad-this seems surprising to me.

Posted by Bay Area Wings fan on 04/25/14 at 06:38 PM ET

SK77's avatar

And the Not Exactly Surprised By Award Goes to ....

Valtteri Filppula!

Once again Valtteri managed to rack up serious points in the regular season before coming back to Earth with one assist in four playoff games – along with a -4 rating – all while averaging 21:15 a night.

Filppula was so ineffective that the CBC crew would not stop mentioning how brutal he looked out there for the Lightning.

Honorary Mention goes to Johan Franzen, but at least he’s still playing and has a +/- rating of 0 while providing Wings’ fans with something to bitch about.

Posted by SK77 on 04/25/14 at 06:39 PM ET

Kings were a fluke-manufactured cup for revenue increase-no surprises that the Sharks are owning them.

Posted by Bay Area Wings fan on 04/25/14 at 06:40 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Howard plays poorly and blames it on his squad-this seems surprising to me.

Posted by Bay Area Wings fan on 04/25/14 at 06:38 PM ET

Stats showing Howard playing poorly & quotes of him blaming it on his team or it didn’t happen. KTHNXBAI.

Posted by SK77 on 04/25/14 at 06:40 PM ET

RockWestfall711's avatar

Not only did the NHL allow Backes to be taken out lets not forget the trade made by Minnesota with a serial career ruining thug for one of the beset defensemen in the game.  I would respect zero games more than the 7 given as at least then the NHL would be admitting the truth.

Posted by RockWestfall711 from Las Vegas on 04/25/14 at 07:44 PM ET