Kukla's Korner Hockey
by Paul on 04/15/13 at 06:36 AM ET
I am pointing out only one note from each of the three articles posted by Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal, but I would suggest you follow the links to read all three of them in full...
- Does the unemployed coach with 571 wins, Lindy Ruff, get a call from Flyers GM Paul Holmgren or New York Rangers GM Glen Sather after the season? If the Rangers don’t make the playoffs or go out early, John Tortorella is in trouble. Peter Laviolette in Philly looks spent, like he’s just run a marathon as he stands behind the Flyers bench.
- The Oilers should be going hard after Chicago Blackhawks unrestricted free-agent winger Bryan Bickell. He’s just 27, six-foot-four, weighs 223 pounds and has 22 points in just an average of 12:43 of ice time per game. The Hawks may have to choose between Bickell and fellow UFA Viktor Stalberg to sign this summer. Two other players the Oilers would like, but both have another year with their respective teams, includes Calgary Flames tough guy Tim Jackman, who could be a fourth-liner, and Dallas Stars disturber Antoine Roussel, who played for Craig MacTavish’s Chicago Wolves in the American Hockey League when MacTavish was working for the Vancouver Canucks organization. Maybe the Oilers should bring back Raffi Torres this summer. Is that off-the-wall or would it work?
- Top 10 amnesty buyout possibilities
The salary cap is coming down from $70.2 million to $64.3 million next season, so any players bought out in this manner won’t count against the team’s salary cap:
1. Ilya Bryzgalov, Philadelphia Flyers goalie, has seven years and $35 million left on his nine-year deal.
2. Ville Leino, Buffalo Sabres forward, has four years and $15 million left on a six-year contract.
3. Daniel Briere, 35-year-old Flyers forward has two years to go with $5 million in salary.
Be the first to comment.
Add a Comment
Please limit embedded image or media size to 575 pixels wide.
Most Recent Blog Posts
About Kukla's Korner Hockey
Paul Kukla founded Kukla’s Korner in 2005 and the site has since become the must-read site on the ‘net for all the latest happenings around the NHL.
From breaking news to in-depth stories around the league, KK Hockey is updated with fresh stories all day long and will bring you the latest news as quickly as possible.
Email Paul anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org