Your Broadcasting Roster For Next Season

added 12:08pm,

added 12:12pm, ESPN release is below.

Filed in: NHL Media, Hockey Broadcasting, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

Extended ESPN release,

ESPN’s NHL commentator team will feature an unprecedented roster of talented and diverse play-by-play announcers, analysts and reporters as the Stanley Cup Final, Playoffs and NHL regular season come to ABC, ESPN, ESPN+ and Hulu this fall. In March, The Walt Disney Company, ESPN and the National Hockey League announced a historic and innovative seven-year television, streaming and media rights deal, beginning with the 2021-22 season and continuing through the 2027-28 season.

ESPN’s play-by-play commentary will be led by the award-winning Sean McDonough, with Steve Levy leading the studio team and calling several games throughout the season. John Buccigross, Bob Wischusen and Leah Hextall will also add their voices to play-by-play. The versatile Hextall was part of ESPN’s NCAA Division I Men’s Ice Hockey Championship and World Cup of Hockey coverage since 2016, and she will also serve as a reporter for some games throughout the season.

Showcasing a diverse and unparalleled mix of experience and hockey credentials, ESPN’s NHL analyst team boasts a collective nine Stanley Cups, 10 Olympic medals and three collegiate national championships. Hockey Hall of Famers Mark Messier and Chris Chelios are part of a lineup who have proven their stardom both on the ice and on the air, including Ray Ferraro, Brian Boucher, Cassie Campbell-Pascall, Kevin Weekes, Ryan Callahan, A.J. Mleczko, Rick DiPietro, Hilary Knight, as well as former NHL player and coach, and ESPN legend, Barry Melrose.

ESPN newcomer Blake Bolden, along with Emily Kaplan and Greg Wyshynski, will handle reporting duties.

Hall of Fame sportscaster Linda Cohn will continue to host In the Crease, the signature nightly hockey program on ESPN+, during the NHL season, in addition to anchoring SportsCenter and contributing to NHL coverage and programming across platforms.

ESPN Deportes’ Kenneth Garay and Eitán Benezra while handle play-by-play commentary with Carlos Rossell and Antonio Valle contributing analysis and color commentary for NHL games on ESPN Deportes.

“This new and groundbreaking lineup will bring the NHL to an expanding legion of passionate fans,” said Jimmy Pitaro, Chairman of ESPN and Sports Content. “We set out to put together a roster that would excite, engage and educate the entire range of fans – from diehard to casual – while inspiring the next generation. With this lineup, we believe we have done just that. We could not be more excited to welcome this talented and diverse group to the ESPN hockey family.”

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/29/21 at 12:16 PM ET

Well, I’m actually happy to see Melrose and Buccigross back along with Chelios as well as the Latino broadcast group on board.  I have seen quite the rise of Latinos getting involved in hockey at the grass roots level here in Vegas and it’s very encouraging.  There is a rampant speculation that MLS is eyeballing Las Vegas as a possible location for a new franchise.  Fine, but they’re forgetting that it’s a desert out here and we cannot have day games at all in the summer months, unless they either build a dedicated soccer stadium or retro-fit Sam Boyd Stadium into a covered field complex.

But Wysh???  Oy vey…

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 06/29/21 at 02:17 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

But Wysh???  Oy vey…

Concur.

And no Gary Thorne????

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 06/29/21 at 02:24 PM ET

And no Gary Thorne????

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 06/29/21 at 02:24 PM ET

The Orioles broadcast must be paying him mucho dineros to keep him from hockey, Chief.  ESPN needs to double down and get him into the PBP booth.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 06/29/21 at 02:27 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

You’re probably right, SYF. And yes they do.  I’d love to hear him and Clement together again.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 06/29/21 at 02:29 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

It’s a good thing they signed Rick DiPietro - he was scheduled to be coming off contract with the NYI after this season!

The Deportes play is an interesting one.  I mean, it makes a lot more sense for the NHL to target China and all (it does not actually make sense), but the second best market has to be the neighbors to the south.  When I was in Playa a few years ago I was surprised how many locals were watching some of the hockey games at the bars.

Posted by TreKronor on 06/29/21 at 02:49 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

I like the Ray Ferraro selection, listen to him on TSN all the time, real good color (analyst) guy. Not excited about the majority, but they have to be better than the collective group of NBC…don’t they…

Haven’t seen a complete list of the TNT group, but I’m surprised that Darren Pang wasn’t part of the ESPN group. In my opinion, Pang is top notch.

Posted by Down River Dan on 06/29/21 at 03:26 PM ET

Melrose is garbage and has been an anti wing idiot since Detroit went with Scotty. There are only a handful of names on there that I think are worth listening too.  I was happy when ESPN wasn’t involved in the NHL.

Posted by SevensForTed on 06/29/21 at 05:12 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

*Nervously scans list for Pierre McGuire*

*exhales*

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 06/29/21 at 05:40 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Agreed, but at least no Olsuck from what I can see. confused

Posted by bigfrog on 06/29/21 at 06:37 PM ET

Sadly, I think Olczyk is on Turner Sports

Posted by mc keeper on 06/29/21 at 07:51 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Sadly, I think Olczyk is on Turner Sports

You are correct, as I forgot t that.  sick

Posted by bigfrog on 06/29/21 at 08:06 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Sean Shapiro of The Athletic in a Q & A with Mark Gross, a Sr. VP with ESPN,

What about Gary Thorne? That’s been the biggest question I see on social media after the announcement.

I spoke to Bob Rosen, his agent, three or four times since the middle of March. And we’re not done yet. Bob and I are going to hopefully talk again tomorrow. We’re going to just want to leave it that we’ve had the conversation and let the dust settle from the announcement that we made today. And then we’ll kind of pick it up from there.

more (paid) questions…

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/29/21 at 09:20 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Another question from the above interview,

Where are you on programming and what can you share on details right now?

We’re in it pretty deep. We’re in it with a brand new graphics package. Obviously we’re in it with music, which everybody also seems to ask about. We’re fully engaged with our ad sales team. I would say I talked to somebody from the league every day of the week. So we’re moving. We have games on October 12. We’re trying to figure out (our) weekly studio shows; I believe we’ll have a weekly show that airs on ESPN2 on Thursday that will kick in right before the season starts.

We have the expansion draft and the first round of the draft coming up next month that the NHL is producing, but (Chris) Fowler is going to be the host of the expansion draft. And he’s looking to be part of the NHL coverage after football season ends. He’s a big hockey guy. Buccigross is hosting the NHL Draft. So we’re in it. We’re moving pretty quickly since this deal was announced, and I would just tell you our place is excited about the NHL. I mean, it’s unbelievable. The amount of interest internally and excitement across all departments. There’s a lot of positive energy focused on the NHL coming back to ESPN.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/29/21 at 09:29 PM ET

Kaszycki and his Krew's avatar

I am happy with ESPN and possibly Turner getting games.  With the business travel I do, many hotels did not carry NBCSN in the hotel rooms (foolishly).  ESPN and its networks have much greater uptake.

ESPN Deportes -  If this means spanish language broadcasts - that is a good move.  Big market with the Hispanic audience can be tapped into.

Eddie O and Brendan Burke are among announcers heading to Turner.

Even though he is not a big local (here in NY) favorite, Rick DiPietro will be a decent analyst.  I also rather like AJ Mleczko on the MSG Networks Isles broadcasts, and she is very good.  Ray Ferraro and Kevin Weekes are good listens as well.

Thank goodness we won’t have to hear “Have fun out there” from Pierre the Penguin.

Posted by Kaszycki and his Krew on 06/29/21 at 10:22 PM ET

pautna's avatar

*Nervously scans list for Pierre McGuire*

*exhales*

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 06/29/21 at 05:40 PM ET

Haha! Me too, my friend. Except my response was more like “Yeaasss!”

With that said, we ended up with clearance rack Pierre in having to endure Wysh.

Oh well, otherwise I love the diversity of this lineup!!

P.S. I like Gary Thorne and all, but every time he pronounces Kopitar as Kopatau, it makes me cringe.

Posted by pautna on 06/29/21 at 11:59 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

I’d love to hear him and Clement together again.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 06/29/21 at 02:29 PM ET

Me too Chief! Thorne calls a great game.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 06/30/21 at 06:36 AM ET