Yashin Has A “Concrete” Offer From An NHL Team

from SovSport (rough Russian translation),

The famous 38-year-old forward Alexei Yashin, who after last season, parted with CSKA Moscow, intends to pursue a career in North America. A variant of the “Motorist” from his home in Yekaterinburg longer interests him
- Yashin, considering the transition to the NHL - said last night told “Soviet Sport” Sergei Begishevo player’s agent, Mark Gandler. - Moreover, we already have a concrete offer from a club.

- In 38 years? This decision was influenced by both an example of Jaromir Jagr, who successfully returned to the NHL in the same venerable age of hockey’s standards?

- Alex feels that a few years in the big hockey he still has. With the “physics”, everything is smooth, with a spirit - too.

continued

and Brunner-Zetterberg-Filpulla…the Nordic Connection

or Franzen-Zetterberg-Samuelsson

Kronwall-Ericsson

Gustavsson…the Swedish 6

Posted by YzermanZetterberg on 07/20/12 at 12:14 PM ET

Faux Rumors's avatar

Anyone who signs this guy should immeadiatly be subject to urine/blood tests as well as a brain scan!

Posted by Faux Rumors from Globally- Here, there, Everywhere on 07/20/12 at 12:19 PM ET

Da lil Guy's avatar

I have a Yashin poster on the wall in my office. This, of course, is intended as humour.

Hopefully his return won’t mean the joke is on me.

Posted by Da lil Guy from Guelph, Ontario on 07/20/12 at 12:26 PM ET

Holland’s plan “C”

I tried to laugh at that…

Posted by Garth on 07/20/12 at 01:14 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

if “C” means crazy, then I understand.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 07/20/12 at 01:19 PM ET

shazam88's avatar

By “concrete” I assume it means he got a union job on Long Island.

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 07/20/12 at 02:10 PM ET

Isn’t it a little bit early in the off-season to be talking of the annual Yashin return to the NHL? Or is his agent needing to get this out early so that he has leverage with a KHL team in the event there is an NHL lockout?

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 07/20/12 at 03:41 PM ET

By “concrete” I assume it means he got a union job on Long Island.

Posted by shazam88 from SoCal on 07/20/12 at 12:10 PM ET

I shouldn’t laugh, but I lol’d and rofl’d.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 07/20/12 at 09:20 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

So I looked at some of the videos of this guy on youtube because I wondered why (while yes, I knew the name, who doesn’t?) I couldn’t remember much of anything extraordinary related to his name.

After maybe 3 minutes, I know why I couldn’t remember much. This guy was paid that much for what, 3 good seasons?

Yeah yeah, shut up about Franzen.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 07/20/12 at 09:40 PM ET

Yeah yeah, shut up about Franzen.

Franzen hasn’t had six 30-goal seasons.

He’s had one.

Posted by Garth on 07/21/12 at 01:44 AM ET

Yashin Has A “Concrete” offer

There’s a Jersey/Lamoriello/Vido Corleone joke in this headline somewhere.

Posted by larry from pitt on 07/21/12 at 03:51 PM ET

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 07/20/12 at 07:40 PM ET

Yashin may have had a decent NHL season or two post-lockout (I honestly don’t remember), but he was very much a pre-lockout player. The type of guy who was big enough that hooking and holding didn’t effect him the same way it did for a lot of other guys. Since the game was slower, his lack of footspeed wasn’t an issue. It would be a serious issue now, imo, particularly since he’s almost guaranteed to have lost a step or two off the average to below-average wheels he showed in his prime.

Posted by larry from pitt on 07/21/12 at 03:56 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Franzen hasn’t had six 30-goal seasons.

He’s had one.

Posted by Garth on 07/20/12 at 11:44 PM ET

And Franzen is paid about half of what Yashin was.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 07/21/12 at 04:27 PM ET