Writing From The Heart

continue reading 22 related tweets from Barch...

Filed in: NHL Teams, New Jersey Devils, NHL Talk, NHLPA, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: krys+barch

Comments

Red Winger's avatar

You’re a $1.17 million cap hit. Sorry, can generate much sympathy right now, as I figure out new and creative ways to make ends meet.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 09/30/12 at 08:13 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

That should be “Can’t”

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 09/30/12 at 08:14 AM ET

The doctors who set his broken bones, the dentist who worked on his teeth, and the trainers who help keep him healthy all worked hard for many many years to develop their skills.  I’ll bet each and every one of them make less than the average NHL player.

Also, if you are averaging over $500,000 per year in your early twenties, even if only for a few years, and you think you will “need to work” until you are in your seventies, then you are doing it wrong.

Posted by kushiro on 09/30/12 at 09:55 AM ET

I’ll bet each and every one of them make less than the average NHL player.

Yeah, all those poor doctors and dentists living off of foodstamps because they can’t make ends meet.

Posted by Garth on 09/30/12 at 10:54 AM ET

LivinLaVidaLockout's avatar

He should really think about starting a blog instead of publishing his essay split up amongst 26 tweets.

Posted by LivinLaVidaLockout on 09/30/12 at 01:38 PM ET

Wow. Just wow.

I’d love to see his face when I told him what a Lcpl in the Marines makes each paycheck, and the abuse my body and the bodies of other Marines take.

Suck it up dude, your a millionaire.

Posted by Kstewy16 on 09/30/12 at 01:38 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Great point there Stewy, hell, even Operators make less money than him and you want to talk about what it takes to hone THOSE skills let alone execute.  Wah-wah buddy.  If you want to argue to the merit of the arguement or lockout that’s one thing, but don’t give me the ba-ha boo-hoo about how rough you got it or what you had to do to get there.  Join the service if you want to bitch about that shit.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 09/30/12 at 02:57 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Posted by Garth on 09/30/12 at 11:54 AM ET

You do realize how silly that looks in a comment section where a millionaire is looking for sympathy from people who more or less average less than $70,000 / year, right??

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 09/30/12 at 03:16 PM ET

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 09/30/12 at 04:16 PM ET

Very much so, thanks.

I also think it’s very humourous to use doctors and dentists as the “you’re not poor, THESE people are the real poor ones” argument.

Posted by Garth on 09/30/12 at 03:23 PM ET

Garth, that’s not the point I was making at all.  Nowhere did I say that doctors and dentists are poor.  The comparison is meant to point out just how out of touch he is in terms of his complaints about his salary and his future.

What I was trying to do was to point out the fact that since Barch is making a ridiculous amount of money, and is arguing that he has work so hard to get where he is, perhaps he should consider that people who have made a similar amount of commitment to hard work and skills development are not being paid anywhere near he and his peers.

There are any number of occupations that I could use to illustrate that.  I chose doctors and dentists exactly because they are in high tier professions that society often points to as being what youth should aspire to, and even THEY make nowhere near what a third-or-fourth line forward makes.  And I personally think that that is more than a little screwed up.

Here it is in a different form:  Imagine you get brain cancer.  You go to an oncologist, who puts you on a course of treatment that is long and difficult but ultimately successful.  He has literally saved your life.  This oncologist trained in university/med school for years, did his residency, trained further in his specialty, and then took more years to become the best he could be.  He treats a lot of people in a similar situation as yours, week in, week out; sometimes they live, sometimes they die.  But the ones who live are damned glad he was so good at his job.

Krys Barch probably makes more than that guy.  And for some unfathomable reason, he is sad.

Posted by kushiro on 09/30/12 at 05:18 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

But it’s not screwed up that bankers or businessmen.. even congressional representatives make probably 10 to 20x the amount dentists and doctors do?  If we’re gauging what you SHOULD make based on your usefulness to society?

I never begrudge anyone making what someone is willing to pay them, regardless of what I make.  Ever.  I will put shit in perspective if they want to complain DOWN the chain to me.  Everyone knows you always complain UP the chain.

Maybe when we’re officially socialist we can address athelete salary based on usefullness to society and not supply and demand.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 09/30/12 at 06:13 PM ET

Yes, I agree that finance types and CEOs making multi-millions and even billions is equally messed up.  And I’m not arguing anything about contributing to society.

What I am trying to say (and clearly not succeeding at all in doing so) is this:  most people will look at a profession like medical doctor and think that it’s a profession that requires a hard work and dedication, years of preparation, a high level of skill, and something that countless mothers tell their kids that it would be oh so wonderful if they could become one.  And you can also make a whole lot of money doing it.

Nobody looks at a doctor (or dentist) and says, boy that guy is going to struggle to support his family on his salary.  And that’s in a profession where almost none of them make anywhere near the NHL minimum.  Only the best of the best—the Datsyuks and Charas and Sedins of doctors—make what the lowest-paid NHLer does.  The Krys Barches of the medical world get far less.

I also don’t know how much athlete compensation follows the laws of supply and demand.  I would think that a fair few of the guys in the lower echelon of players could disappear overnight and be replaced with minimum to no negative impact on performance.

I don’t begrudge people for taking a stupid amount of money from other people stupid enough to give it to them.  But I also think they really do not have a leg to stand on when they complain about how unfair it all is.

Posted by kushiro on 09/30/12 at 07:19 PM ET

My favorite parts:

-A guy staring into a bottle of Porte in front of a fire comparing himself to a ‘shot and a beer’ everyday worker.

-A guy who by age 32 has made 3.3 million dollars as a borderline garbage NHL player trying to make himself an ‘Everyman’.

-As far as I am aware, dude never went to a day of school past 12th grade to make those 3.3 millions of dollars.  Nor has he designed, built, or sold a single thing.  He has a rare skill.  Great.  Good for you.  Doesn’t make you irreplaceable.

-The guy has been paid to play a sport since he was 17 years old.  OHL, then ECHL and AHL, and now the NHL.  Constantly coached and (for the most part) supported.  Pampered at the NHL level with free flights, free hotels, free food, and everything else.

I get that Barch feels like the wronged party, but JESUS does he sound like a disconnected, self-pitying douchebag here.

If the NHL had instituted a 50-50 split 6 years ago, instead of making 3.3 million so far he’d have made 2.75-3 million.  As a barely-competent NHL player.

Aw.  Poor baby.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 10/01/12 at 03:35 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

20 times??

A few bankers may make 6 million per year, and for sure a few business men do, but they are the exception, not the rule?

And Congressional representatives make 175 grand per year. I’m pretty sure most doctors and dentists don’t make 17,500.00 per year smile

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 10/01/12 at 07:24 AM ET

You need to include the millions they ring up based on their ‘legalized’ insider trading, though.

Nancy Pelosi, for instance, is worth around 70 million dollars and she has been in politics and politics only her whole life.

Not bad, right?