Would You Trade A First Round Pick & Maybe More For Forsberg?

from Adrian Dater of All Things Avs,

What about this scenario: The Avs sign Foppa, he plays, and plays well. But the Avs don’t win enough games. They fall out of playoff contention.

Solution?

DEAL FOPPA AT THE DEADLINE! -We know he’s not going to want to play here if the Avs are out of the playoff picture in another month (the NHL trade deadline is Feb. 28). The Avs aren’t going to care who’s in their lineup if they’re 10 points out of a spot by then (it could happen, the way they’re playing).

So why not deal Foppa to a contender (it won’t be Detroit, don’t worry. Forsberg has told close friends and relatives he’d never play for the Red Wings. The rivalry still lives, people).

You get a first-round pick and/or maybe more for him.

read on

Filed in: NHL Teams, Colorado Avalanche, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: peter+forsberg

Comments

Even IF…(a big if) he even plays, you can be sure that his 37 yr old foot will surely give him problems, or the team you think you are getting a first rounder for. I don’t see it happening, as much as i’d like to see the old Forsberg out there in the NHL again. He’s a good guy.

Posted by jmiller on 01/26/11 at 01:47 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Dater still thinks it’s 2001.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 01/26/11 at 01:48 AM ET

I wouldn’t trade Doug Janik for Floppa…

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 01/26/11 at 01:52 AM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

I wouldn’t trade Brett Lebda for him…

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 01/26/11 at 01:55 AM ET

Pardon me, but are you on glue?

Posted by OldRedBarn from Saginaw County on 01/26/11 at 01:59 AM ET

Pardon me, but are you on glue?

Posted by OldRedBarn from Saginaw County on 01/25/11 at 10:59 PM ET

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 01/26/11 at 02:30 AM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Hey Dater, ...tell Fopa that Hank said he should STFU and go get his shine box!

Posted by Down River Dan on 01/26/11 at 02:40 AM ET

UMFan's avatar

Dater must be suffering from acute mountain sickness. He emailed this story from the slopes. Its the only explaination. First rounder and maybe more for a 37 year old with a glass foot? Please.

Posted by UMFan from Denver, Colorado on 01/26/11 at 03:19 AM ET

The Hurricane's avatar

Redolent.

Posted by The Hurricane on 01/26/11 at 05:06 AM ET

Alzy's avatar

Hell fauxing no.

But (and i’m probably about to spew blasphemy), if Forsberg’s foot wasn’t in such rough shape, I would actually love it if Tick Tock took a chance on him for say, a third rounder. In his prime from about 1998-2004, in my opinion he was one of the top five players in the league. Back then, whenever I got to thinking about if I made a deal with the devil and the Wings were allowed to take one guy from the Dive, I always flip-flopped between Sakic and Forsberg. To hell with Modano, I’d love see even an 80% Forsberg as the Wings’ third line centre. He may say he’d never play for the Wings, but I wouldn’t ever count out Tick Tock.

It really is a shame that his foot pretty much deteriorated on him. He was robbed the same way Orr was robbed of a long career, and you wonder what if.

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 01/26/11 at 05:54 AM ET

edillac's avatar

sick,
that person who wrote that article,and his supposed readership

Posted by edillac from isolation on 01/26/11 at 07:36 AM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Is it just me, or is “Foppa” possibly the stupidest sounding nickname in the history of nicknames?

I mean, I realize that it more than likely means something awesome in Swedish like, “Hand of God,” or “Chick Magnet,” but Christ on a stick, when I hear/read it I want to smash my face into something hard and/or sharp.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 01/26/11 at 09:12 AM ET

Baroque's avatar

It’s not blasphemy - but if his body wasn’t so broken down, he probably wouldn’t be available for anything like that because he could actually be relied upon to do some good. And at this point he wouldn’t go to Detroit any more than Mike Modano would have just gone anywhere.

The whole reason this argument is ludicrous is it assumes that Forsberg could be healthy enough that a team would give up anything thinking they could count on him - and the idea that a team such as Los Angeles would “swoop in” and offer $13 million (!!!) over two years (!!!!!??!?!?!???) (“over 35 contract,” anyone?) is purely delusional. His recent history is nothing but injuries and aborted comebacks, and that goes back for years. Nothing has changed. He may very well look good on the ice - for a couple weeks, no more, and then he’ll get hurt again. He always does.

That’s why the talk is so silly. It’s on the level of “what if the Red Wings were to offer to trade Pavel Datsyuk at the deadline; what could they get from Washington?” speculation - a waste of energy and time because it will never happen.

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 01/26/11 at 10:08 AM ET

Signing Forsberg for free out of VLIR = low risk, massive reward scenario. Dealing a first-rounder for him (or even more) = massive-risk/massive reward scenario.

The trade deadline isn’t far enough away for him to prove he’s healthy. 10-15 games or so? He could ironman it for an entire season with playoffs and everyone, including myself, would still be nervous about his feet (and various other appendages).

The only way this could happen (I was about to say “realistically” but it isn’t) is if a very serious contender such as Vancouver or Philly, who will draft low and don’t have any immediate worries about the future or rebuilding, are willing to gamble on that massive risk/massive reward. And he’d have to prove he’s still good first (having followed him closely during his time here in Sweden I do believe he is still good, very good, and good enough to be an impact player in the NHL. Him being good enough is in fact infinitely more likely than him being healthy enough).

Dater is clearly a raving madman who probably should be kept out of furnitured rooms, and I hope he’s wrong about Detroit, too…

Posted by Mr. Fnytelhatt on 01/26/11 at 10:25 AM ET

he wont play. if he does it will be a handful of games again. i hate to say it, because im one for big comebacks, but his time has truly past.

Posted by callmedrw on 01/26/11 at 10:57 AM ET

hockeychic's avatar

If Forsberg comes back (and that’s a big if), I don’t see him playing more than a few games before becoming injured again.  I still think this whole Forsberg thing is an attempt by the media here in Denver to generate interest in the Avalanche.  I went to the game a week ago against Vancouver (at that time the top team in the NHL) and the place was not even half full.  Pathetic.  The Avs organization keeps trying to go back to the past.

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 01/26/11 at 03:52 PM ET

Trish's avatar

Rivalry?  Oh yeah, I do remember it, but to think it still exists . . . .
Rose-colored glasses are a wonderful accessory, aren’t they?

Posted by Trish from PalmBeachCntyFL on 01/26/11 at 04:19 PM ET

I would happily trade a first round pick for Peter Forsberg, as long as it’s an alumnus from the first round of the 1999 NHL entry draft not named Connoly, Sedin, Havlat or Jackman.

Posted by StevieSteve on 01/26/11 at 04:30 PM ET