Would You Settle For Whitney?

from Pierre LeBrun of ESPN,

...So, it’s almost 100 percent Whitney is going to hit the free-agent market on July 1. No hard feelings, though.

“It’s exciting,” Whitney told us Tuesday. “I wish I had finished my career in Carolina, but I understand the direction they’re going in. They’re getting younger and I totally get it. I have a lot of respect for Jimmy and have nothing but good things to say about the five years I spent in Carolina.”

“I like Ray a lot as a person, I really do like him,” said Rutherford. “Whatever happens, I wish him the best.”

As has always been the case during Whitney’s underrated career, the forward will enter free agency somewhat under the radar. But there isn’t a deep forward free-agent class this year, especially if Patrick Marleau and Tomas Plekanec stay put, something which has yet to be determined. Even if they don’t, once Ilya Kovalchuk goes, and potentially Marleau and Plekanec, some team will be looking at Whitney in a hurry.

read on

Filed in: NHL Teams, Carolina Hurricanes, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: ray+whitney

Comments

Russian Rocket's avatar

Would really like to see the Penguins make an offer to Whitney.  Though he’s about the same age he has more left in his legs than Guerin, is a right handed shot, and can play the point on the Powerplay if need be.  Although I imagine he will be looking for a 2 year deal and Shero may only feel inclined to go year by year with a 1 year deal.

Posted by Russian Rocket on 06/15/10 at 05:06 PM ET

w2j2's avatar

The Wings will really look at Whitney, who played for them in the past.  The only question will be money.

Posted by w2j2 on 06/15/10 at 05:07 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Pens Could Definitely use him on Geno’s Wing & On the PP Left Point for 1 Timers

Posted by Evilpens on 06/15/10 at 05:12 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

I’d be delighted to have him back on the Wings for about 1.8 mil.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 06/15/10 at 05:16 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Hippy Dave

You’re aren’t going to sniff hi m for that

Posted by Evilpens on 06/15/10 at 05:29 PM ET

I agree with Dave but unfortunately I also agree with Evil.

Posted by Garth on 06/15/10 at 08:33 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Not saying you don’t try, But a weak Crop of Wingers/Centers is going to make him him more valuable

Good Lord Fellow Pens Fans a Pushing for Matthew Lombardi !!  tongue laugh sick

Posted by Evilpens on 06/15/10 at 11:23 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Love to see him back for one more year as a Wing, would be a great leader for guys like Helm and Abdelkader who could learn from Whitney, as he was similar in that he had to really learn how to score, doesn’t much have the natural ability. Helm and Abby have the speed to create buckets of scoring chances, they just need to learn to score. I know most people say “you can’t learn it,” but I think Whitney shows that with a lot of hard work you can develop more of a scoring touch as you age in the league.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 06/16/10 at 10:13 AM ET

Moq's avatar

Ray Whitney would be a nice short-term addition to the Penguins roster. Most of the contending teams don’t have a lot of salary cap room available, so it’ll be up to Whitney whether he’ll chase the best paycheck or aim for postseason success. If it’s the latter, I wouldn’t discount Pittsburgh’s chances.

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 06/16/10 at 02:18 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Alas, penguin, you are right.  I pulled that number from looking at our cap space assuming we re-sign Bert.  If we don’t re-sign him, then Whitney would be within reach.  Ahh, the off season.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 06/16/10 at 02:54 PM ET