Would You Play Jordan Staal Tonight?

from Sean Gordon of the Globe and Mail,

There are regular humans, there are quick healers, and then there is Jordan Staal.

The hulking centre suffered torn ligaments in his foot this past Friday in a collision with Montreal’s P.K. Subban, but barely six days later, the 21-year-old is a possibility for Thursday night’s Game 4 of the Eastern Conference semi-final between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Canadiens.

Staal said he feels as if he could play – Penguins coach Dan Bylsma said he would be “a game-time decision” – and was blunt about the stakes of this game, where a victory would give the defending Stanley Cup Champions a 3-1 stranglehold on the series.

“This is definitely a breaking point game,” he said.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: jordan+staal

Comments

They won Game Three (and with a shutout, no less) without him.  Nothing wrong with sitting him out a little while longer.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 05/06/10 at 03:35 PM ET

Tony's avatar

I think I would agree, err on the side of caution….

Although when you think about it, you know the Habs will target that foot regardless of whether he comes back tonight or for Game 5….

But another couple of days rest surely wouldn’t hurt either, so who the hell knows, I’m on the fence….

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 05/06/10 at 03:46 PM ET

I would look at his foot, watch him skate and practice, ask him how he feels and if he can play, and I’d consult with the doctors. I would use my intuition from being around him day after day for two years. If all those signs point to yes, I would play him.

Play him tonight, maybe they win because of him, maybe they lose because of him, maybe he’s not much of a factor either way.

Sit him tonight, maybe they win, maybe they lose. Maybe the third line gets thouroughly outplayed, and Montreal scores three powerplay goals, and maybe the Penguins go back home tied in the series.
Maybe the third line plays great, gets points, and the Penguins go home up 3-1, or tied 2-2.

Every playoff game is extremely important, and bottom line you need sixteen victories to win the cup.

Posted by NathanBC on 05/06/10 at 03:53 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

All championship teams have a player that would target an injured player’s foot.  smile

I don’t think he’s needed, so if I were a Penguins fan, I’d want to err on the side of Caution, like Tony says

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/06/10 at 04:09 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Torn Ligaments ??? he had a Lacerated Tendon

Posted by Evilpens on 05/06/10 at 04:57 PM ET

Evilpens,

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that. Dan Bylsma comes out ten minutes after the game and says “Lacerated tendon, day-to-day” and media members laugh at that thought and say “Oh that looks so much worse, he’s gone for the playoffs, I mean come on, he severed his tendon!! Look at that! Can’t you see??”

Posted by NathanBC on 05/06/10 at 05:03 PM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

I’d say no on playing him tonight.

What happens tonight would influence the decision as to if I’d play him after that.

A win would put the Pens up 3-1 in the series, so I’d keep him on the sidelines and try to wrap up the series without him.  If the Canadiens would push it to a Game 7, I think I’d play him in that game.

If the Pens lose tonight, I think I’d probably consider playing him in Game 5 more seriously.  It would still be a tough call…because he DID have a lacerated tendon.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 05/06/10 at 07:36 PM ET