Would You Make This Call In Overtime?

from Josh Cooper of The Tennessean,

“I had one hand on my stick and he grabs my stick, and I got a penalty. So, I don’t know. It’s his call,” Weber said. “The rest of the game was great. I thought they reffed the game the same way for both teams. When it comes down to something like that, it’s unfortunate.”

The normally soft-spoken David Legwand sounded frustrated.

“It’s tough. Obviously that ticky-tac in overtime is kind of tough,” Legwand said. “I don’t know if the ref had to be somewhere tonight, but we had nowhere to go tonight, so it’s a tough call to take.

“Obviously Kesler is holding onto his stick and doing those types of things. Webby’s stick obviously shouldn’t be there in there in the first place, but Kesler is holding onto his stick. That’s a pretty touchy call for overtime I think.”

more and watch the call in question below…

thanks to PuckDaddy for the video

Filed in: NHL Teams, Nashville Predators, Vancouver Canucks, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: shea+weber

Comments

Zaze's avatar

I personally didn’t like the call, but credit to kesler for making it almost impossible not to.

Posted by Zaze on 05/04/11 at 09:52 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

The problem is that neither ref (and no video) can really see what Kesler’s right arm is doing.

I didn’t see the entire game, so I don’t really know what they were calling and weren’t calling, and that’s critical to really judge this call. But in a vacuum, for a playoff game, this seems weak.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 05/04/11 at 10:02 AM ET

so I don’t really know what they were calling and weren’t calling,

What they were calling were garbage penalties on Nashville and what they weren’t calling were any penalties on Vancouver.

Posted by Garth on 05/04/11 at 10:06 AM ET

I admit I didn’t catch the whole game, but that statement seems untrue based on Vancouver and Nashville both taking three penalties during regulation.

Posted by Tim from Detroit on 05/04/11 at 10:13 AM ET

phillyd's avatar

My biggest problem was they were really letting them play up until that point. The announcer was right when it seemed like it was a make-up for the boarding/checking from behind call missed shortly before then. I still don’t think it was a penalty, just two guys battling. However, it’s been 5 years since the lockout and guys still haven’t learned to keep their sticks out of their opponents midsection. If players would learn that, we wouldn’t all be second guessing referee calls.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 05/04/11 at 10:34 AM ET

Garth’s comment is a bit over the top. The reffing was pretty mediocre all night for both teams. They were letting the guys play one minute, calling things on the next. It wasn’t an overly bad night for reffing, especially compared to some examples around the league, but there were a number of calls that had both GMs looking pretty unhappy up in their boxes and rightly so. I’m a Vancouver fan and I’m grateful for the win, but Nashville did get screwed on that OT Weber penalty.

Posted by K from Michigan on 05/04/11 at 10:37 AM ET

It’s tough. Obviously that ticky-tac in overtime is kind of tough,” Legwand said. “I don’t know if the ref had to be somewhere tonight, but we had nowhere to go tonight, so it’s a tough call to take.”

What he actually said is:
“...I don’t know if (Tim Peel) had to be somewhere tonight…”

Posted by NathanBC on 05/04/11 at 12:12 PM ET

DetCapC19's avatar

I watched the game last night.  That was a weak call.  Craig Simpson (colour man on CBC) thought it may have been a makeup call for not calling the infraction a minute earlier on Smithson (I think?).

But, for anybody whose on the fence on this one - picture that call going against your team in overtime and losing the game because of it.

That`s a terrible call to lose the game on.

Posted by DetCapC19 from Vancouver, BC on 05/04/11 at 12:35 PM ET

Yeah, that was a penalty, ON KESLER!!!

And the notion that it was a makeup call for an earlier hit is complete nonsense.
Bieksa stopped short playing the puck and caused the hit to look much worse then it was.  When I see the Vancouver GM throw up has arms after that hit, it’s an embassement.  We’ve entered an age where any time a player goes down on a hit, the team the announcers are pulling for (in this case it was a CBC announcer so it was the Vancouver Canucks)  scream penalty.

Bottom line, the refs handed the game to the Canucks.  I think the NHL offices are aware of alot of the blowback coming from Canada in regards to the Phoenix situation.  There’s also the fact that the Stanley Cup hasn’t been in Canada for some time, so it appears the Canucks are going to get calls their way in an effort to appease Canada.

I’m not a fan of the Preds, but I love the enthusiatic fans turning out for their games.  Nashville is probably a difficult place to win over hockey fans, I feel badly that they had to witness this travesty.

Posted by RogerNYLA on 05/04/11 at 02:15 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

You know, on any given night the refs are going to screw up tons of calls. They call one thing, then, completely overlook the same infraction, depending on who the player in question is.

The only thing that is consistent, is being inconsistent.

This is why hoards of fans are not watching anymore. I don’t give a hoot aboot the numbers. They can be skewed just like the fans can be screwed.

Thanks, Gary. A$$.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 05/04/11 at 02:19 PM ET

Why does it matter if it’s overtime? If a penalty is a penalty during regulation, it should be a penalty in OT. Apparently, people angry at double-standards are begging for some double standard.

(note: I didn’t see this particular play, and my comment is not towards it)

Posted by Herm from the office on 05/04/11 at 02:38 PM ET

“Bieksa stopped short playing the puck and caused the hit to look much worse then it was.  “

And he didn’t play the puck, you are not allowed to hit him, let alone in the back.  That’s the definition of interference, hitting a player without puck possesion.

Posted by Kel on 05/04/11 at 02:50 PM ET

I see your point, if you wanted to be knit picky you could have called a penalty on Bieksa for interfering with Smithson, but I prefer that refs let borderline calls like that go.  Let them play hockey.

Posted by RogerNYLA on 05/04/11 at 03:14 PM ET

No, because interference can’t happen if you have body position on the puck.  If you are closer to the puck, you are not required to move away for your opponent (but you can’t move laterally to prevent your opponent to get ahead of you).

Posted by Kel on 05/04/11 at 03:19 PM ET

There’s a good chance it was a makeup call, which to me makes it worse.  I hate the concept of a makeup call: if you missed it you missed, just move on.

I also agree that you could just have easily called Kesler for holding the stick on that play, which to me says that nothing should have been called.  If you watch, Kesler grabs Weber’s stick more than Weber really puts it into Kesler’s midsection.  At the time Kesler grabs the stick it’s more in front of Weber than in the midsection but Kesler is able to lock on to it because Weber took one hand off.

Posted by RoneFace on 05/04/11 at 05:02 PM ET

Chet's avatar

agree. that call was a disgrace.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 05/04/11 at 07:35 PM ET