Would The Capitals Think Of Re-Signing Semin

via Chuck Gormley of CSN Washington,

“I’ve never really discussed that sort of thing, whether we’re going to sign someone or not,” Capitals general manager George McPhee said Saturday on the final day of development camp.

“I’d rather not start now. I know that’s not a great answer, but I’ll just stay neutral.”

Asked if he was surprised Semin, who in seven seasons recorded 197 goals and 409 points in 469 games for the Capitals, is still available, McPhee replied, “Not necessarily. It would have to be the right fit for him.”

Semin reportedly has received interest from the Penguins and Hurricanes but apparently is holding out for a two-year deal in the $10 million range.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Washington Capitals, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: alexander+semin

Comments

If he’s “holding out” for a two year deal at $5mil per then teams must consider him even more of a headcase than we’ve been lead to believe to this point.

Posted by godblender on 07/14/12 at 04:24 PM ET

Keyser S.'s avatar

Posted by godblender on 07/14/12 at 03:24 PM ET

No kidding. I wish I knew the inside story with this guy. Cause $5 seems like a great deal for him.

Posted by Keyser S. on 07/14/12 at 04:51 PM ET

Posted by Keyser S. on 07/14/12 at 03:51 PM ET

It could simply be that nobody is offering more than a one-year deal.

And to be fair, from his perspective, it’s not much of a “deal” to be taking a pretty significant pay cut from the $6.7M he made last year.  It’s understandable from his standpoint to want a longer deal if he’s going to take less money per year.

Of course, everyone knows his reputation, and the fact that in two years his production has fallen from 40-goals per season to 21, so he’s probably dreaming if he thinks he’s going to get multiple-year offers.

Unless of course Mr Illitch decides to fire Ken Holland and find his replacement among the commenters of A2Y.

Posted by Garth on 07/14/12 at 05:22 PM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

Is $5 million per for two seasons really all that much for a guy that has the ability to score 40 goals?  He really did buy into Hunter’s system last season…played over a minute on the PK per game, too.  I wouldn’t HATE it if the Pens signed him to a 2-year, $10M deal.  At least I wouldn’t until he decided to mope or not work as hard as he should…

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 07/14/12 at 06:02 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

It just so happens that I’m available right now. So tell Mr. I to give me a call. smile

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/14/12 at 08:57 PM ET