Would You Watch KHL Games?

via the KHL website,

The UFA Sports agency, which acts as the KHL’s marketing service partner in nations outside the League’s borders, has announced a surge in interest among North American TV companies seeking to broadcast matches in the KHL Championship.

At present, the American media are interested primarily in showing games featuring Alexander Ovechkin, Evgeny Malkin, Sergei Gonchar and other locked out NHL stars, so current talks are focused on coverage of games featuring Metallurg Magnitogorsk, Dynamo Moscow, CSKA Moscow and SKA Saint Petersburg.

There are also ongoing talks with interested broadcasters from Great Britain and a number of European countries about showing KHL Championship games.

Filed in: NHL Media, Hockey Broadcasting, Non-NHL Hockey, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: khl

Comments

MsRedWinger's avatar

Yes I would.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 09/21/12 at 01:35 PM ET

Absolutely, but I would rather watch them in person in the US than on TV.

Here’s what I posted as a comment on Raw Charge about why the KHL and the bolting NHLers should have organized more games in the US:

What I think would work is having the players find other ways to harness the fans’ true power — money for buying tickets, filling arenas. Because fans carrying signs paying for nothing more than a coffee to keep protesting doesn’t really shed too many tears.

But it’s on the players for developing that money-producing mechanism, and they didn’t because they love the NHL too much.

The players needed to develop a partnership to at least show owners, “hey, we’re doing fine without you, and people are paying to see us.” And then get a willing network to sign a TV deal to air the American/Canadian games.

The players should have went ahead and worked with the KHL to have been prepared to create an extended Can-Am tour to whet the appetite for fans, convincing even more top-tier NHLers to join and tour, showing owners that fans would pay to see their favorite players in a different setting. It might bring out more fans given the increased fighting and goon qualities in that league. Meaningful, regular season games.

The suggestions of a revived World Cup of Hockey or All-Star tour is clearly seen as temporary and would be seen no more as a safety net for players as them jumping to other leagues with out clauses. (In some ways, I think a touring KHL tournament would even sends a stronger message than a World Cup.)

Now, the players would have had to work with the KHL to work on the back-end stuff, but with all those trickle-down jobs effected, it would be easy to find American team doctors, game night staff, PR team, etc.

So, one issue is to be able to book games in large enough arenas and in arenas that aren’t operated by NHL owners and find suitable practice facilities. So while for every nice hockey capable pro arena in Brooklyn, Kansas City, Orlando and Hamilton, Ontario, they’d have to sacrifice and fill a smaller one in towns like Hershey, Norfolk and Houston.

Another is that the players would have had to work with the KHL encouraging the league to relax its non-Russian roster rule for the season or have it in the league’s bylaws that in the event of a lockout or strike in another pro league, the Russian rule will be waived.

I would garner that too many players care too much the storied franchises they grew up cheering and the legacy of these franchises as opposed the NHL, and well, the Stanley Cup, and it just happens the NHL can award the Stanley Cup.

If such an extended KHL tour would prove fruitful, it could put gears in motion to make it seam that a North American Division for the league would be possible bringing this to a crossroads of kill the NHL, with replacement players or not, or show such a strong alternative that owners will truly break.

Even knowing how difficult it would be, but given all these hockey writers have to come up with some sort of content to fill pixels and pages during the lockout, it would be great to see how hard it would be to dismantle the NHL to the point where another league can award the Stanley Cup since that’s really the crux from things just not going 100 percent nuclear.

Posted by chockster on 09/21/12 at 01:40 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I watched KHL playoff games when ESPN3 was airing them, and with no locked out NHL players and barely any names I recognized.

And it was in Russian, so I had no idea what they were saying.

So yeah, I probably would.

Hockey is hockey and the KHL is roughly on par with AHL hockey.  And I would totally watch AHL and ECHL hockey.  And heck, I’d watch CHL (assuming it survives) and SPHL even.

Posted by Primis on 09/21/12 at 02:05 PM ET

HockeyFanOhio's avatar

No.  I’d rather watch the AHL or some of the major junior hockey games would be interesting to watch.

Posted by HockeyFanOhio from Central Ohio on 09/21/12 at 02:14 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

I’d watch, sure.  I might even pay to view a few games, if it were reasonably priced.  I’m seriously considering picking up an AHL subscription, but I think the price is a bit steep.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 09/21/12 at 02:24 PM ET

Probably, but I’m more inclined to watch ECHL hockey.

I’ll probably catch a few EIHL games online as well.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 09/21/12 at 02:41 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

In person, I’ll be catching a few Portland Winterhawks games myself, but I’d tune in to a KHL game or three.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 09/21/12 at 02:56 PM ET

I’d tune in to see if the level of play were any good. If the play is terrible, I’d tune out. If it is above AHL level I would watch more, but if it is even with the AHL, I’d probably stick with the AHL and see the future players coming up.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 09/21/12 at 04:39 PM ET

harken23's avatar

I’ll be heading to some San Francisco Bulls games (ECHL), but I’d surely watch KHL, AHL, PCHL, whatever’s out there. Once baseball season is over, it’ll be a sports wasteland without hockey!

Posted by harken23 on 09/21/12 at 05:32 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

AbAbsolutely.. especially with nhl talent there.  I didnt know about the ahl package thanks for mentioning it.  Would LOVE to watch the lockout griffins with the talent we have there

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 09/21/12 at 06:55 PM ET

Maybe a couple games, I would rather watch the Swedish or Finnish leagues.

Posted by timbits on 09/21/12 at 09:51 PM ET