Would You Pay Andrei Markov $18M Over 3 Years?

Markov will be 36 on December 20th.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Montreal Canadiens, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: andrei+markov

Comments

TeamDub's avatar

Ah, no.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 06/16/14 at 09:51 AM ET

topshelf14's avatar

I wouldn’t. He’s a good defensemen who can run a PP, but his injury history is what scares me away from him. I’d pay 6M per year but he’d have to be on a 1, maybe 2 year deal. Something tells me Edm, Car, or Fla will give him what he’s asking for.

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 06/16/14 at 10:33 AM ET

He was a good fit for Detroit 2 or 3 years ago, less so now.  I’d prefer younger, righthanded, and less of an injury risk.

I also think Subban’s bolstered his numbers quite a bit.

Posted by captaineclectic on 06/16/14 at 10:38 AM ET

Iggy_Rules's avatar

Not a chance.

Posted by Iggy_Rules from Calgary, Canada on 06/16/14 at 10:41 AM ET

In my opinion, teams that are willing to give more than a one-year deal to 35+ UFAs are nuts.  I suppose if you’re re-signing one of your own and he’s a leader, it could work, but why commit multiple years to older guys unless you absolutely have to?

Of course, this could simply be him knowing that he and Subban play pretty well together and just giving it a shot, knowing this would likely be his last contract if he does get three years.

Posted by Garth on 06/16/14 at 11:05 AM ET

It depends on the team, if a team in Habs division needed him and wanted to hurt the Habs it might be worth it. You get a good D man and the Habs get weaker.

Posted by Puckbubba on 06/16/14 at 12:52 PM ET