Would Phaneuf Be A Fit In Edmonton?

from Jonathan Willis of The Cult of Hockey,

Former Maple Leafs assistant general manager Bill Watters was interviewed on Oilers Now on Friday, and he had both an interesting rumour and some harsh words for Toronto captain Dion Phaneuf. In part, here’s what he had to say:

Dion Phaneuf should be dispatched as soon as they possibly can and the story I hear is that Edmonton’s interested and if they are tell [general manager Craig MacTavish] to take him and have fun with him. I find him to be the most overrated, undernourished hockey player in the history of the NHL and whoever made him the captain of the Maple Leafs should have been fired six years ago.

Watters further criticized Phaneuf over the course of the interview, with a particular emphasis on his character and leadership abilities, but the interesting thing from an Oilers perspective is his idea that Edmonton is interested in adding Phaneuf to their defence corps.

At first blush, it’s easy to make a case for the match between player and team. He is a legitimate top-pairing defenceman who adds size (6’3”, 214 pounds), scoring ability (scored at a 48 point pace this season), snarl and at the age of 28 is a pretty decent fit for the Oilers’ young cluster of talent.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Edmonton Oilers, Toronto Maple Leafs, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: dion+phaneuf

Comments

I hope MacT isn’t so stupid.

After making one of the better FA signings and a pretty good trade for Perron this would be a terrible deal for Edmonton to make.

I agree with Watters about Phaneuf and can’t imagine why Edmonton would want him.

Posted by Garth on 07/13/13 at 12:19 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

I am interested to know the context of the “under-nourished” part.  Does he just want him to bulk up to play heavier or are there other issues or does he mean it in less literal way?  It’s hard to imagine a supposedly elite athlete having that particular issue in 2013.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 07/13/13 at 12:52 PM ET

I think he means it in a hockey sense, trying to be clever.

Posted by Garth on 07/13/13 at 12:54 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

That probably makes more sense, and I hope that’s the case, but it didn’t really seem like he was a very clever seeming writer otherwise so I discounted it.  Ahh well.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 07/13/13 at 01:31 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

I don’t mean to denigrate his writing ability.  Let me clarify that I didn’t feel he was going for clever, not that he was incapable of doing so.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 07/13/13 at 01:32 PM ET

Clever might have been a poor choice of word on my part.  Watters is a blowhard who loves the sound of his voice and tries to sound like he’s smarter than everybody else.  I would bet that he used the term undernourished in hopes that the host asked what he meant by it and he could condescendingly explain it and feel superior.

Posted by Garth on 07/13/13 at 01:42 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Would Elisha like Edmonton?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 07/13/13 at 01:45 PM ET

Slumpy's avatar

Phaneuf does a great job at hurting his own teams chances of winning often in a season and in the playoffs. No doubting his toughness and skill but the guy is either dumb as a box of rocks or just doesn’t care about enough to put his team first and his emotions second.
It’s a shame because if he ever matures he could maybe lead The Buds to the Final someday.

Posted by Slumpy from Detroit on 07/13/13 at 03:22 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

I struggle to keep track of who a lot of these writers are.  There are so many loathesome sports writers out there who practice deplorable standards of journalism, with Hockey having it’s fair share and a time-honored tradition of self-adulatory pontificating, that they all blend together.  Someone should come up with a glossary.

I would submit the following:
Bob McKenzie:  Spastic tweeting style but good source
Sean McIndoe:  Painfully funny!
Bruce McCleod:  God amongst men
Nick Kypreos:  Probably ego-maniac.
Aaron Ward:  Is to accurate reporting as Aaron Ward was to shutdown defenseman