Would It Bother You If The US Boycotted The 2022 Winter OIympics In

from Amanda Macias of CNBC,

The State Department denied Tuesday evening that it was considering a joint boycott alongside allies of the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing.

“Our position on the 2022 Olympics has not changed. We have not discussed and are not discussing any joint boycott with allies and partners,” a senior State Department official wrote in an emailed statement to CNBC.

Department spokesman Ned Price had initially suggested during a press briefing earlier on Tuesday that a boycott of the Olympic Games was among the possibilities for addressing China’s human rights abuses.

The Olympic Games are due to take place between Feb. 4 and Feb. 20.

Any discussion of a diplomatic boycott of the Olympic Games would come as the Biden administration works to rally allies to mount international pushback on China. While there is broad bipartisan support for taking a tougher policy stance against China, there is hardly unanimous agreement that a boycott would be the most productive path to pursue.

continued

Filed in: NHL Talk, Non-NHL Hockey, International Hockey, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

As much as I’d love to see NHL players back at the Olympics I’d firmly support a boycott of these games. I don’t want to get off into a political discussion but China is getting away with way too much right now. These games mean a LOT to China.

Unfortuantely, I don’t think a boycott would be all that effective in getting China to change any policy. But at least we’d be sending a message that we don’t support their actions. There are other means to send that message but every avenue should be pursued.

Don’t expect the NHL to come out in support of any boycott. The have a lot of interest in growing the game in China and this is the biggest key to that interest.

Posted by evileye on 04/07/21 at 10:58 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Would It Bother You If The US Boycotted The 2022 Winter OIympics

It would bother me if they didn’t boycott the Olympics in Beijing. In addition to their oppression of the Uighurs, the fact that they intentionally unleashed COVID-19 on the world is more than enough reason for a boycott.

Posted by evileye on 04/07/21 at 10:58 AM ET

Unfortunately, I’m afraid that’s 100% correct.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 04/07/21 at 11:19 AM ET

Everyone should BOYCOTT, it’s for the greater good of the world as a whole imo.

Posted by Stump23 on 04/07/21 at 11:45 AM ET

the fact that they intentionally unleashed COVID-19 on the world

Bahahahahahahahaha… the fact people fall for these delusional conspiracy theories and then have the audacity to present them as “fact” is nothing short of completely entertaining. Thank you for the good laugh on a Wednesday morning.

Posted by beantownredwings on 04/07/21 at 11:47 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by beantownredwings on 04/07/21 at 11:47 AM ET

Well, then please tell us with what you believe the “truth” to be. How did the Wuhan virus make it out of China? Was it an “accident?” Please enlighten us.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 04/07/21 at 12:12 PM ET

You’re clearly the one claiming it as “fact” that the Covid 19 Virus (see how easy it is to not use bigoted terms) was “intentionally unleashed” so why don’t you go ahead and start by PROVING that statement with INDISPUTABLE and IRREFUTABLE evidence… I mean you claim it as fact so that should be really easy for you… I’ll go ahead and wait for you to get right on that…..

Posted by beantownredwings on 04/07/21 at 12:22 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Yeah wow OTC usually you’re a voice of reason here.  I’m pretty sure that’s not how viruses work.

All that aside I kind of think the Olympics are overrated anyway, a boycott wouldn’t be a terrible idea given China’s track record on human rights.  Then again, so would a boycott of the Olympics in the US by that measure…

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 04/07/21 at 01:29 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by beantownredwings on 04/07/21 at 12:22 PM ET

Well, beantown, here are some facts for you. First, once the Chinese Communist Party (the CCP) knew that the virus was spread through human-to-human contact, they immediately locked down the entire province of Wuhan. No travel into or out of Wuhan to any place in China was allowed.

Second, at the same time, they not only allowed but facilitated travel from Wuhan to the rest of the world. Nearly half a million residents of that province traveled mainly to Europe and the United States from late 2019 through early January 2020. The CCP knew what the result of that travel would be (i.e., the spread of the virus). It was an intentional act on their part.

So I’ll ask again, beantown, where do you think COVID-19 came from and how do you think it spread to the entire world in the space of a couple of months?

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 04/07/21 at 01:29 PM ET

Actually, HD, that’s exactly how viruses work, at least the ones that are spread through human-to-human contact. It’s why the earliest outbreaks outside of China occured in those areas where Wuhan residents traveled to the most (i.e., Italy, the UK and the US).

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 04/07/21 at 02:07 PM ET

Thanks for spewing a whole lot of conjecture and anecdotal bs. Just as we all knew you failed to provide any evidence and all .you go ahead and keep running down your conspiracy theory rabbit holes.

When you use words like “intentional” in public forums you should go ahead and look up their meanings first

Posted by beantownredwings on 04/07/21 at 02:11 PM ET

And again, for the second time since it seems so very difficult for you to comprehend… simply stating something as a fact does not make it so. No matter how much anecdotal rhetoric you want to spew along with it.

Posted by beantownredwings on 04/07/21 at 02:12 PM ET

Ajax19's avatar

No.  It wouldn’t bother me.  But that has nothing at all to do with any kind of crackpot, nonsense conspiracy theory about COVID-19.  Jeeze Louise, people…

Posted by Ajax19 on 04/07/21 at 02:23 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Thanks for spewing a whole lot of conjecture and anecdotal bs.

Posted by beantownredwings on 04/07/21 at 02:11 PM ET

There’s no “conjecture” involved in what I described. It’s what the CCP did.

If you choose not to accept that, that’s your right. But if you’re going to discount someone else’s version of what happened, it would be nice to know where you think COVID-19 came from and how it spread. You still haven’t answered those two questions.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 04/07/21 at 02:35 PM ET

Can we not turn this site into facebook or twitter?  Thanks.

Posted by maltby18 on 04/07/21 at 03:07 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Agreed maltby18, everyone has had their say, let’s just answer the question.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/07/21 at 03:24 PM ET

There’s no “conjecture” involved in what I described. It’s what the CCP did.

How long will we be waiting for you to bring actual EVIDENCE to the table to prove your self described “version” of what happened? What you’re spewing is TEXTBOOK conjecture. Do yourself a big favor and go look that word up before responding.

You’re trying to peddle racist fueled conspiracy theories about the virus being “intentionally unleashed” (your words) and you have not provided a single shred of evidence to back up these delusional conspiracies. Simply stating “it’s what the CCP did” is not evidence or proof.

Posted by beantownredwings on 04/07/21 at 03:25 PM ET

With all that being said it would not bother me if the olympics were boycotted. There’s plenty of reasons to do so that don’t hinge on falsehoods. I would hope that if such a move did occur, which I’m doubtful at this time it will happen, that we would have allies joining us in such a boycott.

Posted by beantownredwings on 04/07/21 at 03:27 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by beantownredwings on 04/07/21 at 03:25 PM ET

And you still haven’t said what you believe happened. I presented what I believe. Accept it or don’t. It really doesn’t matter to me. But at least have the courage to tell us what your version of the truth is. I’ll give you the last word(s).

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 04/07/21 at 03:51 PM ET

I’m totally good boycotting them.  Systematically oppressing and exterminating a race is more than enough for most people I’d imagine.

Posted by ThatGuy on 04/07/21 at 03:56 PM ET

Too some it doesn’t matter what you “believe”. Instead we make out mind up based on facts. Sometimes there simply aren’t enough facts to make a educated decision. Some people aren’t comfortable without being able to come down on one side or the other. Others can handle the gray zone.

Good luck finding the “truth” in this case.

Posted by evileye on 04/07/21 at 04:01 PM ET

There is no such thing as a version of truth. Truth is not amenable to your beliefs and delusions. Truth only exists within a framework of verifiable fact. Which is what you are clearly lacking. Good luck with all of your delusions.

Posted by beantownredwings on 04/07/21 at 04:17 PM ET

If the CCP’s behavior over the past few years in particular
isn’t a clear enough basis, what is?

This is significantly about standing up for not only basic human rights
but also human rights in the face of massive economic clout - buying power,
threats and intimidation, bribes, but for most the simple amoral financial reality
that a lot of money can be made personally and for one’s corporation if you go along with pandering and presenting the CCP regime in the best light…no matter what they do.

This is a regime that imprisoned and tortured brave doctors and scientists trying to warn their countrymen and the world about an extremely dangerous virus. And lied and sabotaged and threatened and profiteered, buying up PPEs while denying human to human infection; then selling massive amounts of fake non-functioning PPEs which had to be returned by several countries across the globe.

The outgoing Sec of State officially called what they are doing to their own people a genocide and the incoming Sec of State agreed.

The world has given the CCP Olympics and served as their props before.
It just emboldens them. In any case we have to be honest about what is happening.

Posted by lefty.30 on 04/07/21 at 05:11 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by beantownredwings on 04/07/21 at 04:17 PM ET

I’m always open to being persuaded that what I believe is wrong. If you can provide me with facts that show that your “truth” (although we still don’t know what that is) is “verifiably” different than what I presented, I’ll certainly consider it.

But all you’ve done, beantown, is shout “You’re wrong” and “You’re a racist.” It’s kind of hard to have a discussion with you when you won’t present your own position on the issue.

Posted by lefty.30 on 04/07/21 at 05:11 PM ET

Exactly right. And they did it to further their goal of damaging the world’s economy so they would come out on top. And I firmly believe they did it intentionally.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 04/07/21 at 06:28 PM ET

You didn’t share your beliefs. You clearly stated your delusions as being fact which they unequivocally are not. If you want to present your beliefs as facts than the onus is on you to prove them to be so. You could have ended the discussion a long time ago by proving your beliefs with evidence, but after all this time you’ve still proven yourself incapable of doing so.

I also never called you a racist. In fact I made damn sure to frame my comments around your words and not the fact that you may or may not be a racist. The fact you’ve made an assumption to the contrary just shows your insecurities(perhaps shame?) around that subject.

Personally I haven’t been coming to this blog for well over a decade to share my beliefs on non hockey subjects. But when I see people peddling racist tropes and delusional conspiracy theories I will certainly call them out on it because that sort of racist rhetoric has led to an extreme and drastic uptick in Asian hate crimes.

Now at least you’ve changed your tone from “it’s a fact” to “I firmly believe” which is certainly okay with me. We live in a free country and people are allowed to believe whatever they want.

Posted by beantownredwings on 04/07/21 at 06:45 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I also never called you a racist.

Posted by beantownredwings on 04/07/21 at 06:45 PM ET

Right. You just said…

You’re trying to peddle racist fueled conspiracy theories…

Posted by beantownredwings on 04/07/21 at 03:25 PM ET

That’s a distiction without a difference, beantown.

I was involved in the civil rights movement long before most of the members here were even born. I carry absolutely no “shame” for either my beliefs or my life-long actions where racial issues are concerned.

And I’m still waiting for the facts you rely on concerning both the origin and the spread of COVID-19 that make you so positive that my position is not only wrong but racist in nature.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 04/07/21 at 07:35 PM ET

Bahahahahhaha you just won’t quit from running yourself in delusional circles. Just to think you could have provided any form of evidence long ago to justify these delusional conspiracy theories but instead you just want to keep spinning and spinning deeper and deeper.

I have zero cares about what you did or didn’t do 50 years ago. But that’s a great anecdote to try and reframe your narrative.

I never once disputed the origin or how a virus spreads. Please your comprehension just isn’t up to lay for this discussion. I’ve repeatedly directed my criticisms at your framing of “facts” that the virus was “intentionally unleashed.” I knew you couldn’t prove that and I call it out for being the racist rhetoric that it is.

Until you’re prepared to prove your beliefs as fact with evidence than you can just keep spinning yourself ever deeper into embarrassment.

Good luck with all that mess.

Posted by beantownredwings on 04/07/21 at 08:00 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Bahahahahhaha…

Posted by beantownredwings on 04/07/21 at 08:00 PM ET

Okay, you win, beantown. There’s no way I can argue with deep thinking like that.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 04/07/21 at 08:59 PM ET

Would it be “racist” if say Putin’s Russia had behaved
exactly the way the CCP did? Xenophobic?
Why did no one freeze in horror at the biased xenophobia of endlessly
Russia conspiracy theories?

I’m not spending the rest of a nice evening parsing
every line in every comment by someone who suddenly
shows up and starts throwing around recreational “ists” and “isms” in place of making an actual argument; using the troll tactic of throwing mud at another commenter rather than focusing on the topic at hand.

But the rationale in making what is still an extremely serious smear
- that someone is behaving in “racist” ways and pushing “racist conspiracy theories”
seems to rest solely on the assertion that charges are being made against a regime solely or almost entirely because the regime is comprised of people of a different and non-white race. That’s laughable. By that standard you can’t criticize the behavior of any person or entity if the critic is the “wrong race” and the subject of the criticism happens to be non-white. Facts don’t matter. Actual conduct doesn’t matter.

Is it racist to care so little about the vast majority of the Chinese people who aren’t privileged party members? Or to care so little about Uighers, Tibetans, and Kazakhs? Is it Islamophobic to care so little about a Muslim minority? Racist to devalue the lives and freedom of people in Hong Kong and Taiwan?
I’m all for balanced honesty in teaching US history and foreign affairs. The good the bad and the ugly. But something appears to have happened where rigorous learning and questioning was replaced by shallowly spewing ists and isms in place of facts or reasoning. It actually does matter the commitments one has chosen in one’s life to stand up for principles. Especially when doing so wasn’t the default majority view and a lot of powerful people and institutions were actually proudly, aggressively racist.

There see endless grounds to factually criticize the CCP for at the very best gross negligence in how they mishandled and then exacerbated the scientific and governmental responses in ways that had profoundly costly global consequences.
But it’s not hard to support the argument that they “unleashed” the virus (or one could say “weaponized” the virus). The CCP literally sealed people into their apts in Wuhan. They looked down the country and made sure not only news of the virus couldn’t spread within China, but also that people carrying the virus couldn’t move about within China. But at the same time, they didn’t do a damn thing to stop people from departing from Wuhan to all over the rest of you world. While shutting out the WHO and dragging their feet on providing samples of the virus - and then providing incorrect ones, setting back testing efforts abroad. They cleaned PPEs off the market just as the virus was spreading globally. They lied about the virus not being transmissible between people. They locked up tortured their own whistle blowers into lying about what they knew. They sold PPE they knew were no good.

But all you need to support the suggestion that they unleashed the virus was how obviously they took extreme measures to lock down their own country while simultaneously letting people from the exact same area leave the country and disperse abroad - and knowingly misleading officials in those many other countries about that nature and danger of the disease.

Posted by lefty.30 on 04/07/21 at 10:40 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

...The CCP literally sealed people into their apts in Wuhan. They {locked} down the country and made sure not only news of the virus couldn’t spread within China, but also that people carrying the virus couldn’t move about within China. But at the same time, they didn’t do a damn thing to stop people from departing from Wuhan to all over the rest of {the} world.

But geez, lefty, where is your irrefutable facts that prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that those things actually happened? Or so ask those who can’t bring themselves to believe that the CCP was, indeed, capable of such a thing.

As far as I’m concerned, it would take a complete suspension of rational thinking to believe that the CCP took such unbelievably strict measures to contain the virus from spreading in-country while they “accidentally” forgot to shut down travel from Wuhan to the rest of the world. It’s why I firmly believe it was an intentional act on their part.

Anyway, in the end, lefty, I think you summed up everything much better than I did. I appreciate that.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 04/07/21 at 11:48 PM ET

d ca's avatar

As someone who competed on a national level and had a chance to lose a race to both the Gold medalist—and Olympic record holder—and the silver medalist and World Record holder at the time I come from this with a different perspective (both U of M “students"if you’re wondering). I’ve personally seen how much the athletes and their families put into a single games. The 4 am wake ups, the 5am practices to be back at 4pm for afternoon practices, the parents giving up so much to attend weekend events across the country, switching teams and losing friendships to stay with a coach that got a better job offer, etc, etc.

At that level it costs parents $$$$ that can even hit 6 figure numbers.

I got to hold an Olympic medal from 1996 (and almost dropped it) from the Atlanta games. To be told don’t worry my niece already did a few times. I can’t even imagine the loss to those families and athletes if they had been forced to miss a once in a lifetime opportunity because of politics.

The Olympic games are supposed to be transcendental. So yes it would bother me if there was a boycott because I know what the actual cost can be. There are better ways to handle political issues than boycotting the Olympics.

Posted by d ca on 04/08/21 at 01:12 AM ET

Would It Bother You If The US Boycotted The 2022 Winter OIympics? No. Wouldn’t bother me at all. The posts above gave plenty of reason for a boycott.

Posted by Puckbubba on 04/08/21 at 10:02 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by d ca on 04/08/21 at 01:12 AM ET

First of all, d_ca, congrats on your accomplishments. Very impressive.

Second, your reasons for not boycotting the Olympics are, by far, the best I’ve heard. They put a human face on an issue that’s easy to think of in much broader terms.

The problem with it is that it’s exactly what the CCP is counting on. They want the world to concentrate of our human issues and overlook the human issues of the Uighers, Tibetans, and others. And they’re dangling the carrot of great financial rewards (especially to large cororations and sports teams) as an added bonus.

As often happens with the CCP, they’re very adept at creating situations that are lose-lose propositions for other countries. Object to what they do and it costs you money. Don’t object and they get to continue doing what they’re doing no matter how disgusting it is to you.

In the end, I think the current administration will choose to be part of the Olympics in Beijing. At that point it will be up to individuals to decide whether or not to watch.

In spite of your heart-felt reasoning, d_ca, I’ll be one of those who chooses not to watch. But now it’ll be with a real sense of sadness that I’ll be missing the culmination of years and years of effort by athletes who don’t deserve to put in this situation.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 04/08/21 at 10:55 AM ET