Winnipeg to Announce Name Before 7th Overall Pick

From TSN:

It appears that fans of the new Winnipeg hockey team won’t have to wait much longer to find out the name of the team.

The club is expected to name its team just prior to making the 7th overall pick during tonight’s NHL Entry Draft…

continued…

According to Darren Dreger on Twitter:

...strong belief Wpg will name its team the Manitoba Jets. We’ll find out tonight.

Update 1:24pm ET: And a mere 10 minutes later, Dreger says it’s the Winnipeg Jets.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Winnipeg Jets, NHL Talk, NHL Entry Draft, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: manitoba+jets

Comments

Bosephus's avatar

I’ve been getting a sneaking suspicion that it WON’T be the Jets.

Posted by Bosephus from Behind enemy lines, Denver, CO on 06/24/11 at 01:35 PM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

I’d be hugely surprised if it was the Jets.  The Jets are in Phoenix now. Winnipeg can incorporate some of the history, somehow, with the the logo and colors, without going so far as using the name.

Then again, I’m hoping for something goofy like the Winnipeg Whatchamacallits or the Manitoba Mosquitos, so what do I know. smile

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 06/24/11 at 01:40 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

Manitoba Mosquitos

That would be kinda cool

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 06/24/11 at 01:41 PM ET

TheFreak's avatar

Winnepeg 2.0
Winnepeg Wolves
Where’s Winnepeg?

Posted by TheFreak on 06/24/11 at 01:43 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I’m rooting for “The Winnipeg Tourism Bureau”

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/24/11 at 01:43 PM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

I’m rooting for “The Winnipeg Tourism Bureau”

Awesome.

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 06/24/11 at 02:04 PM ET

I would like to see Jets for old times sake but I also fully realize that Jets doesn’t have a lot of winning history behind it either.  I would bet on something different.

Posted by Devils In The Details on 06/24/11 at 02:18 PM ET

Manitoba Lakers…....Manitoba Polo Club…...Winnipeg Carp…....Winnipeg Beavers

Any will do…they are under water 70% of the time anyways….

Posted by Pop from Here on 06/24/11 at 02:19 PM ET

I agree that it really shouldn’t be the Jets, but the way they’ve drawn it out and made a big deal out of it (btw, weren’t they promising to announce it if/when they got 13,000 commited to season tickets?), no matter what the name is it’s pretty much guaranteed to land with an indifferent thud, isn’t it?

Posted by Garth on 06/24/11 at 02:19 PM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

I’ll throw in a vote for the Winnipeg Minnesota Wild.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 06/24/11 at 02:27 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Winnipeg The Forks?

Posted by SK77 on 06/24/11 at 02:28 PM ET

Mumblety-peg Nubs

Posted by timbits on 06/24/11 at 02:32 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Winnipeg Winny-the-Poohs.

Posted by calquake on 06/24/11 at 02:35 PM ET

Winnipeg Planes

Posted by Garth on 06/24/11 at 02:37 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

The way they are doing things, they should bend it like Cher and go first-name-only.

And damn calquake for stealing my joke.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 06/24/11 at 02:38 PM ET

calquake's avatar

And damn calquake for stealing my joke.

Sorry Herm… then again, great minds stink alike. cheese

Posted by calquake on 06/24/11 at 02:57 PM ET

Stevis's avatar

I saw a page with mockup potential jerseys for the, and the page title was “Winnipeg Concepts.”  Ever since then I kinda want them to be called that.  I wonder what such and abstract jersey would look like (and no, the Picasso Coyote doesn’t quite count.)

Posted by Stevis on 06/24/11 at 03:17 PM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

So, Dreger says “Manitoba Jets” (link above in the post).  Sounds weird, but if it’s true, that’s probably a decent compromise between the history and a new future.

Of course, it doesn’t have the same sense of fun as some of your suggestions in these comments, but I guess nothing can be perfect. smile

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 06/24/11 at 03:20 PM ET

The Winnipeg Temps
The Winnipeg Falling Dollars
The Winnipeg Phoenixes

Posted by steviesteve on 06/24/11 at 03:25 PM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

Ignore me and my last comment.  Winnipeg Jets it seems to be, according to every media member and their dog who has relatives the Peg, anyway.

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 06/24/11 at 03:26 PM ET

Posted by Garth on 06/24/11 at 12:19 PM ET

Not if it’s the Jets. If Hartford was in the same situation and pulled the same thing, I know I’d go nuts when they said they were bringing the Whale back to the NHL.

Posted by steviesteve on 06/24/11 at 03:28 PM ET

Winnipeg Worse Attendance Than Atlanta. That should bring back the history the locals are craving.

Posted by blankspace6 on 06/24/11 at 03:34 PM ET

Winnipeg Jets works for me. That’s what I was going to call them anyway.

Next question: who gets the history? If Truenorth does, what does Shane Doan have to say about that?

Posted by steviesteve on 06/24/11 at 03:49 PM ET

Winnipeg Wolves?

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 06/24/11 at 04:00 PM ET

Posted by steviesteve on 06/24/11 at 01:49 PM ET

No matter what the name of the new team in Winnipeg, the franchise history/records/etc. of the original team remain with Phoenix.

Posted by Susan on 06/24/11 at 04:05 PM ET

Not if it’s the Jets.

Yeah, I was going on the assumption that they weren’t calling them the Jets, which, apparently they are now?

How about the Blankspace6 Ignorance?

Posted by Garth on 06/24/11 at 05:30 PM ET

according to NHL.com they are going with the name ‘Jets.

Posted by LGRWeh on 06/24/11 at 05:50 PM ET

How about the Blankspace6 Ignorance?

Posted by Garth on 06/24/11 at 03:30 PM ET

Go do some homework and you’ll find out the the Thrashers had a better average attendance during their time in Atlanta than the original Jets ever did in Winnipeg.

Posted by blankspace6 on 06/25/11 at 06:25 AM ET