Winnipeg Jets Unveil Logo

From the Winnipeg Jets:

True North Sports & Entertainment is proud to unveil today the primary and secondary logos for the Winnipeg Jets Hockey Club which will begin play in the National Hockey League in 2011.

The design for the new logo, which was developed in partnership with Reebok and the NHL, was inspired by the logo of the Royal Canadian Air Force.

image

“True North Sports & Entertainment felt it was important for the new Winnipeg Jets to develop a strong new identity,” said Mark Chipman, Chairman & Governor of True North Sports & Entertainment. “We felt it was important to authenticate the name Jets and we believe the new logo does that through its connection to our country’s remarkable Air Force heritage, including the rich history and relationship that our city and province have enjoyed with the Canadian Forces.”

True North Sports & Entertainment would also like to thank the Department of National Defence for their assistance in the process.

“We have always had a close relationship with 17 Wing throughout the years, dating back to our annual Manitoba Moose Military Night,” said Dorian Morphy, Senior Director, Marketing & Brand Management of True North Sports & Entertainment. “We are thrilled to be able to continue this relationship in a significant way. The design cues for the plane were inspired by the military jets flown by the Air Force over the years. So not only were we able to establish a new identity for our brand, but we were able to maintain a traditional, time honoured look to the logo.”

The Winnipeg Jets will unveil their uniforms and uniform colors at a later date.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Winnipeg Jets, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

soletrain's avatar

not bad…i figure they would *#$%@& it all up!

Posted by soletrain on 07/22/11 at 06:14 PM ET

red_wings_49's avatar

Nice!  I like the ability to keep the old past of the Winnipeg Jets separate.

Posted by red_wings_49 from Mad Heights, MI on 07/22/11 at 06:18 PM ET

Doug Miller's avatar

About time… very cool though, I like the idea of them showing some love to the Royal Canadian Air Force like that.

Still can’t wait to see the official jersey designs though!

Posted by Doug Miller from Wyandotte, MI on 07/22/11 at 06:25 PM ET

gusoline's avatar

I like the first two, the script one leaves me wondering why they are using the Maple Leaf as an apostrophe and what the Jet is possessing.

Posted by gusoline on 07/22/11 at 06:28 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Aye, the script could use some help, but at least it’s not Comic Sans.

For the rest, it’s not too horrible…still not sold as I suppose I’m biased with the old logo. Better than about half the current logos out there, though.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 07/22/11 at 06:37 PM ET

KelseyAnn's avatar

I don’t know how I feel about the font on the script logo, but overall the redesign is not too bad. I like this color scheme better than the old Jets logo.

Posted by KelseyAnn from we have an NHL team here?, Arizona on 07/22/11 at 06:38 PM ET

BrendonR's avatar

This is a really boring re-design….the old Jets logos were way better.  I’m a Canadian and I certainly support giving props to our actual jets, but using my designer cap I have to say this is really bland, and the script on Jets is brutal.

Posted by BrendonR on 07/22/11 at 06:46 PM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

Count me among the people who likes the new logo.  I even like the script, the more I think about it.  At first I wasn’t too sure, but it’s starting to grow on me. Something about it seems to kind of work with the jet plane-look.

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 07/22/11 at 06:53 PM ET

Matt Fry's avatar

I like the new design.  The front logo is probably the best one that has ever floated out there.  And the military wings on the shoulder patch really brings back to the army heritage in the province.  It’s a nice retro look.  Plus, I’m guessing the old logo could be on the third jersey.  We’ll see.

Posted by Matt Fry from Winnipeg on 07/22/11 at 06:58 PM ET

Not a fan. It looks like it was derived from a Molson Canadian beer bottle.

Posted by Jesters Dead on 07/22/11 at 07:02 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Underwhelmed to say the least ! should have stuck with the original, Why do people always try to reinvent the wheel

Posted by Evilpens on 07/22/11 at 07:26 PM ET

awould's avatar

The ones on the left and the top look very military, which I guess was intentional. The one on the bottom looks like a beer logo. I don’t hate them but I’m not crazy about them either. I’d like to see the uniforms though.

Ironically (since the franchise is nearly dead), the best ‘new’ hockey logo, I think, was the Coyotes recent redesign: Coyotes New Logo

However, that might just be because it was an upgrade over this atrocity: Coyotes Old Logo

Posted by awould on 07/22/11 at 07:32 PM ET

Marc Siciliano's avatar

I’m a big fan of all three logos, but I’m easy to please when it comes to this stuff. I think the white jersey’s are going to look great with these logo’s though

Posted by Marc Siciliano on 07/22/11 at 08:03 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Tasteful.  Looks nice.  I would have rather seen the old logo, but not bad.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/22/11 at 08:14 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I don’t mind the third one (the one in the bottom right), but the other two are too boring and dull for my tastes.  It’s like they tried TOO hard.  If you’re going to use those colors (which are fine, but kinda’ drab), the logo or logos have to have some extra pop to them or else the whole thing just looks like a dull mess.  Instead they have dull logos accented by dull colors.

I’m with a couple of the other comments, they looks like beer logos or something.

Very unimpressed.  Not worth the wait, that’s for sure.  I don’t see these lasting very long before they do a redesign…

Posted by Primis on 07/22/11 at 08:18 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

I like the RAF jerseys the Manitoba Moose used a few years ago. This is trying (and failing) to capture the same aesthetic. I hope they play hockey better than they design logos.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 07/22/11 at 08:22 PM ET

Not sure the purpose of the Maple Leaf, the league already has a team with it on their jersey.

Posted by timbits on 07/22/11 at 11:07 PM ET

I like it.  Depending on what the jerseys looks like I might actually buy one (and I’m a Wings fan).

Posted by loojay on 07/23/11 at 03:25 PM ET