Winnipeg Goalies Talk Equipment

from Ken Wiebe of the Winnipeg Sun,

And it was abundantly clear that Pavelec doesn’t agree with what is being proposed.

“I don’t know, come on. How many times are they going to change the rules? I don’t think it’s that fair,” said Pavelec. “If you take something away from the goalies, you have to take something away from the players too. Ok, so we’re going to get small gear, we (should) give players wood sticks.

“There’s nothing I can do but I don’t like it, that’s for sure.”

Jets backup Al Montoya thinks Pavelec is on to something.

“I would be a fan of that. The way the puck comes in these days is pretty crazy,” said Montoya. “They want to see goals, which is understandable. But you’ve got to protect the goalie. There’s a lot of money invested in this position for every GM is going to want to make sure their goalie is safe, first and foremost.”

read on

Filed in: NHL Teams, Winnipeg Jets, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: al+montoya, ondrej+pavelec

Comments

Wow!  Imagine that.  The goalies don’t think it a good idea to shrink equipment.  I find it hard to believe that they will be more vulnerable to injusy if the equipment is shrunk.  Just do it.  The size of their equipment is ridiculous.

The game needs more scoring.  Almost every goal is scored as a result of a scrum for a lose puck, a screen or a deflection.  I miss the days of a player flying down the wing and beating the goalie with a good shot, ala Mike Bossy.

Posted by Jack McFly on 03/22/13 at 09:00 AM ET

Hank1974's avatar

Thank-you Jack McFly! I’ve been saying this for nearly 20 years now!

Jamie Heyward is the NHL goalie-gear guru and he spoke to XM Home ice a couple of years ago about the subject.
He told a story about a goalie ‘out west’ that whined and complained that they needed the extra padding or else they might get bruised.
Heyward laughed at the goalie thinking he was joking, but the player wasn’t.
That’s what the NHL is facing these days.
Look at tape from the 80’s when guys like Fuhr and Roy were black and blue from stopping shots.
That’s the reason goalies were crazy back then. Now, it’s not so insane to play the position.
With that much equipment, the ability to move anywhere you want on the ice with immunity as well every team blocking 82764 shots a night,  goalies should quiet down and accept dragon scaling.

I have a good friend that works for a very big-name goalie manufacturer and he has told me the technology exists and is easy to implement.
The goalies would be half as big and just as protected.

Posted by Hank1974 on 03/22/13 at 11:55 AM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

Hank, you should suggest to him that they make it and get a minor league goalie or something to wear it in an exhibition game and make a video showing him playing in it and interviewing him after so he could say that he felt fully protected…something like that. I think it would help move the conversation forward.

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 03/22/13 at 01:21 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

NHLJeff, I totally agree and I’ve hounded him to do that.
The problem is he, and all the other manufacturers know that if they were to come out with gear half as large, goalies across the globe would hate them and they’d never buy their products again.
He said everyone from Brians, to Heatons, to Vaughn, are waiting for the NHL to mandate slimmed-down gear before they introduce something like that.

It’s a shame it has to be like that. I’ve often joked that if I won the lottery, I’d use some of those millions to bribe an AHL goalie to use some of that gear to show the world it can easily be done.

Posted by Hank1974 on 03/22/13 at 01:34 PM ET

moocat's avatar

Suggesting that goalies go back to using inferior equipment and suck up being bruised is a silly statement. You shouldn’t have to be insane to play the position, but someone had to do it so they did. However goalies wore equipment that had very little advancement (aside from masks) in materials until the latter half of the 80’s where new light weight/ high density foams became available and began to be utilized in equipment making.

This marked the beginning of the trend toward goalies not getting hurt (as often, it still happens), but what is often left out of this discussion is the rise of the butterfly technique and the specialization of the position.

No longer are goalies the worst skater on the team or left to figure out how to play on their own. There are specialized systems of play that are taught by dedicated goalie coaches (unheard of in the mythical glory days of the 80’s). Goalies work on technique, have specific conditioning exercises, which in conjunction with the better materials and construction of today’s equipment means a much better athlete that doesn’t stand up out of fear of being hurt if the puck doesn’t hit the leg pad or tire as fast due to their equipment absorbing pounds of water.

You can slim down the gear but you will have goalies injured. You already see goalies out with more groin and hip issues due to the butterfly and the restrictions on the height of the knee landing area of pads (less height equals more stress on the hips). Can the gear be reduced in some areas? Of course but radical change is not the answer. Trim from the chest protector and pants where possible, but composite sticks make even the most average NHL shooter Brett Hull now.

Have goaltenders cheated through out the years? You betcha but believe it not pads and gloves were bigger at times through the different era’s than they are now. The biggest change is that the chest protector actually works and that doesn’t even speak to the fact that the size of goalies has gone from 5 foot something to 6 foot plus to even be considered an NHL prospect.

Here’s a thought: How about reducing the giant plastic shin guards on the defensemen so that they aren’t almost a mini goalie to shoot through?

Posted by moocat on 03/22/13 at 02:42 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

moocat, you make some good points, but in the end I dont care.
Make the gear smaller or make the nets bigger.

Watching games today is painful.
The other night I timed to see how long it was between quality even-strength scoring opportunities.
In one game, I got over 10 minutes. Not real-time mind you, but actual game-clock time.
That should never ever happen in any sport.
The only thing that was going on in those 10 minutes was a tonne of grinding/mucking along the boards and dump-ins.

In several occasions, a 3-on-3 would ensue where the offensive team would simply fire, or flip, the puck on net, forcing the goalie to hold on so they could execute a face-off play.
If the offensive team lost the draw, everyone got the heck out of the zone, so the other team could do the same thing. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

When a team did set up in the zone, the uber-exciting Turtle defense would then be implemented. If the shooter was able to get it through the 5 defenders, plus 3 teammates, the big fat goalie would go into the butterfly and just block any shot he did, or did not see.

The game has been reduced to Idiocracy where the dumbest, safest play is always used.

With larger nets, or more room to score, maybe some of those long-bombs along the wing would go in?
And if they do, suddenly teams can’t play the turtle defense anymore. Now they have to actually attack the point-men.
It opens the whole ice up.

I’m just sick and tired of seeing the same 2-1 game every night where every goal is a screen/deflection/rebound goal and most of those come on the PP.

I’m a broken record. I get it. I’m bored of my own complaints at this point.
But I can’t say it enough how much more flow and creativity there was in games from 1960>1994.
Sure, it was slower, and the players weren’t as skilled. But the game was entertaining.
And there were goals that were scored from more than 4-feet outside the crease, where the goalie saw it the whole way and it wasn’t considered a ‘bad’ goal, or an ‘AHL’ goal.
It was “That’s an Yzerman goal. Nothing you can do on that”.

Sorry. I know I’m a bore at this point and I should probably just walk away from the game.
I fell in love with the NHL over 30 years ago and I loved it. I was consumed by it.
I even taped old Nordiques games on the French CBC channel 54. And I can’t speak French!
I just can’t stand the level of hockey we see. Yes the players are warriors and they’re smart and they try super hard. But I don’t feel that’s worth my hard-earned dollars.
I watch the NHL because I want to see guys do things I can’t do.
Anyone can block shots, or interfere, or muck in corners. I want to see guys thread needles and fire top-shelf lasers from 15’ out.
Those things don’t happen nearly enough for my tastes.
And I honestly don’t think any rule changes other than making the ice and scoring area larger will help that.

Posted by Hank1974 on 03/22/13 at 02:53 PM ET