Wings Sign Abdelkader For 2 Years

DETROIT – The Red Wings have agreed to terms with forward Justin Abdelkader on a two-year contract.  In accordance with team policy, additional terms of the deal were not disclosed.

added 1:37pm, via Craig Custance tweet,

Told that Justin Abdelkader’s annual salary is $787,000 on two-year deal he signed with Red Wings.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: justin+abdelkader

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2

pjwalny's avatar

Posted by Garth on 08/23/10 at 10:03 PM ET

Yeah, people keep forgetting about Kris. I think it would be wrong to consider Draper having anything less than a slot on the line. Everyone knows his age. This is his last year. He is a hockey player, and I guarantee he will be fighting for time. This may be his last year. They are not going to sit him the whole year.

Besides, there is something special about a guy who is knowingly playing in his last season. If I recall, I just saw a article discussing how age doesnt hurt some players. Some players have had their best career year in the latter part of their career. Some have record breaking years. It may have been on this blog im not sure. If you doubt that, I will try to find it.

Draper, Helm and Abby have the job to loose. Of course there can be variations and different pairings but expect those three guys to not be on that line. Don’t expect the coaches not to put those three mainly on that line either.

Posted by pjwalny from Not Detroit, evidently?? on 08/23/10 at 11:19 PM ET

pjwalny's avatar

Dude, did you even watch hockey last year?

No why?

Posted by pjwalny from Not Detroit, evidently?? on 08/23/10 at 11:21 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Posted by pjwalny from Not Detroit, evidently?? on 08/23/10 at 10:09 PM ET

I can’t see Draper as a regular on the 4th line, except for loyalty. Even by loyalty, Chelios played only 28 games in his last Wings’ season, McCarty had only 13.

Besides, neither Draper or Yaba ever played right wing. Both can play left or center, so does Helm, but the RW for this line will always come out of Eaves/Miller/Ritola.

But where did you get te impression that Hudler’s return crushed Yaba or Helm’s hopes? He was due to come back, that was a given.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 08/23/10 at 11:22 PM ET

pjwalny's avatar

If Modano had not decided to play, Abdelkator would have centered that third line.That is a fact.  I will get you the article if you want. Helm had a good year last year. Why wouldn’t he have any desire to move up? Helm could turn into a 30 goal scorer if he can just hone his skills with that amazing speed.
So that leaves Draper, just kick him to the curb right? He can be a 1.6 million dollar bench warmer. Draper will have a good last year. Despite what anyone thinks. This franchise and this coaching staff will honor him with adequate playing time. Even if you don’t agree with Draper’s skill in comparison to either Eaves or Tampa bay waiver Drew Miller, the coaches will give him playing time. He is gonna get playing time. He deserves playing time.

Posted by pjwalny from Not Detroit, evidently?? on 08/23/10 at 11:29 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

I’ve read the article, I know this. I never mentioned M&M in my comment, I mentioned Hudler. Hudler is a right wing only and does not affect Abdelkader or Helm.

You have Yaba on the 3rd line because of “the article”, but the same article has Helm on the 4th and you don’t mention it. He’s the 4th center today and probably will stay there for the next 15 years.

Look all you want, you won’t find a bigger fan of Darren Helm than me, and I don’t believe Helm will score 30 goals (at least in the foreseeable future). He has good hands but those are better for passing.

Who said he had a bad year? He was very important, both for his mentoring of Helm and leadership (he was the loud voice in the locker room). But right now Helm is the Draper on the team. The speed, the defense, the hustle (and the crest shots). But Helm is the future, that can’t be dismissed.

He’ll get the playing time necessary to mentor Abdelkader and, to a lesser level (because of last year), Helm. But this is a job he can do in practices and talks, not always on the ice. He’ll be respected, just as Maltby (even if in Grand Rapids).

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 08/23/10 at 11:38 PM ET

pjwalny's avatar

I dont know the Yaba reference?

Mike Babcock has stated in multiple interviews this offseason that Mike Modano was brought in to center the third line between Cleary/Hudler. That was part of the reason Modano even signed with us. Having that talented third line was enticing! Of course there are going to be line variations sometimes. You can’t expect to have a certain player play on the same line every shift. Im sure Justin will get to center that third line when Mike mixes it up. In fact its important that he gets to center that line on occasion. Modano will need rest, I think.

I just don’t like assuming that Draper will never play. He has helped this franchise. Sure he’s old and he will sit. But to assume he will never get alot of ice time??

If Modano does not develop chemistry with Hudler/Cleary he will switch to Franzen/Bert. Then Val would drop to the third line. Barring injury the top nine are set. That third line is what will win the cup.

Mrfluffy, Hurry up and tell me why you like Eaves so much, I have a exam tomorrow and I need to learn every single importance of the periplasmic space on a gram negative bacteria. Times a tickin.

Posted by pjwalny from Not Detroit, evidently?? on 08/23/10 at 11:42 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

I dont know the Yaba reference?

Sorry. Abdelkader has 1254 nicknames, on of them is Yabadabadoo. Yaba is the short version.

Sure, kinda obvious. We’re just fans having fun during the offseason. But Babcock also said he wants to keep the lineup steadier this season in order to develop better chemistry.

Never said that. I used examples of Chelios and McCarty, two veterans that got the ice time that was more convenient both for them and for the team.

Filppula was drafted by Detroit and has a whole future unfolding. Modano is a new old guy playing his probable last season. If Modano fails, he’s be bumped down, the Wings are countingof Filppula to be a productive 3rd line center and wouldn’t send him down again.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 08/23/10 at 11:50 PM ET

pjwalny's avatar

Yaba M&m i dont know those things.

okay you saw it, yeah you know that article. He says “hudler, modano, cleary”  you have to ask him why. im just the messenger. Those three are paired somehow.

15 years. That sucks for helm. I dont know man, I think he could develop into a scorer. Thats just an opinion, I like him. Like any young athlete, Im sure he wants bigger and better roles.

But Helm is the future, that can’t be dismissed. He’s the 4th center today and probably will stay there for the next 15 years.

He’ll be on the third line for 15 years but he’s the future? Im confused. The thing about helm is that you could find a good skater and teach him finesse and skill, you cant teach someone speed. You know what Im saying.

I hope that Draper goes out with his chin held high and that goes for Maltby too. I wish Draper contract was

Posted by pjwalny from Not Detroit, evidently?? on 08/23/10 at 11:53 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

He’ll be on the third line for 15 years but he’s the future? Im confused.

What confused you? I said he’s our current 4th line center and is our future 4th line center. Stating a player is “the future” doesn’t mean he’ll be a star, just that, well, he’ll be there in the future…

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 08/23/10 at 11:57 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Why would Filppula get demoted because Modano can’t work well with two proven Red Wings?  I mean, unless you’re assuming Filppula isn’t playing well.  Even then, I think I’d rather just move Z to the 2nd-line center with Filppula on the wing instead of Bertuzzi, who would move up to play with Datsyuk and Holmstrom.

Draper should get decent time, but I don’t see him playing the majority of games.  Eaves & Draper both scored 22 points last year, but Eaves did it in 16 fewer games.  He’s a better producer with Draper who has decently comparable speed (now that Draper has lost that extra gear that made him so fast), a much better and heavier wrist shot, a more accurate slap shot, is a bit grittier, and is hilarious in the shootout.  Draper will get time because he’s not much of a step down from Eaves right now skill-wise and the leadership dimension he brings is incalculable; I just think Eaves will end up with more time than Drapes.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/24/10 at 09:14 AM ET

pjwalny's avatar

J.J. kansas.

Filppula would be getting demoted because of Modanos inability to develop chemistry is not phrased correctly. Demoted is not the word that should be used because he is not getting demoted. Modano is the new kid. He has been on another team for the last 20 years. It is important that Modano develops and adapts with his new players.

He has never played with most or all of these guys. Filppula has been on this team for a few years. Filppula is a great player, he is very versatile. Filppula knows that the coaches look at him as one of the most important players on this team. He has played with Bert/franzen/Hudler/cleary. He knows hes has an important role, so moving down a line is just a move not a demotion. Val knows its good for the team.

If Modano doesnt sync with Hudler/Clear it will hurt the team. If they dont develop chemistry they probably wont produce much. So if they struggle, Modano will move up and possible have better luck with bert and franz. Filppula will do good on any line. Its important to get mike comfortable and excited. Most likely things would even out and Filppula will get his spot back on the second line. Even if Val played on the fourth line, he knows his importance to this team.

Posted by pjwalny from Not Detroit, evidently?? on 08/24/10 at 06:55 PM ET

pjwalny's avatar

I forgot to comment about your idea to move Z. I think babs really likes paring the twins together. I believe he was excited about Modano because he can afford to put them on the same line. They are great friends. They both have terrific work ethic. Most important of all. They have fun when they are with each other!! Its fun for us also to watch them play.

It seems like more often than not, Z and Pavel are talking to each other when on the bench. When either of them score a goal they usually look to each other to celebrate. If you see them in practice they often go opposite of each other, and after practice they mess around.

Having there skills together is hard for any team to control when they are on the same line. What makes them really hard to handle is that understanding of one another. Together they have that unity and thats what sets them aside. Its similar to the Canucks with Henrik and Daniel Sedin, two brothers playing together.

Posted by pjwalny from Not Detroit, evidently?? on 08/24/10 at 07:05 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I don’t want Z and Pavel split up either, but I also don’t want Filppula to get demoted (and yes, that’s exactly what it is because the 3rd line doesn’t get as many minutes as the 2nd line) if MIke Modano can’t find chemistry with two guys I like more than him.  Call it whatever you like, but moving down a line is a demotion.  Filppula would accept it because he’s a team guy, I just wouldn’t like it.

If Modano screws up chemistry on the third line (which I don’t think he will), I’d rather he get moved down to the fourth line instead of up to the second.  Filppula has a proven place on the Red Wings, Mike Modano doesn’t.  I’d be pissed at Babcock if he robbed the proven guy of minutes he deserves for the one-year signing.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/24/10 at 07:23 PM ET