Wings Sign Abdelkader For 2 Years

DETROIT – The Red Wings have agreed to terms with forward Justin Abdelkader on a two-year contract.  In accordance with team policy, additional terms of the deal were not disclosed.

added 1:37pm, via Craig Custance tweet,

Told that Justin Abdelkader’s annual salary is $787,000 on two-year deal he signed with Red Wings.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: justin+abdelkader

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

Lucce's avatar

Finally!!

Posted by Lucce from Kingdom of Zweden on 08/23/10 at 01:36 PM ET

VooX's avatar

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 08/23/10 at 01:42 PM ET

In the immortal words of Herm:

AASDKLKDSALDKSGODGODGOD!!!

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 08/23/10 at 01:44 PM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

I guess that means the Wings’ lineup is pretty much set, now, huh?

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 08/23/10 at 02:57 PM ET

pjwalny's avatar

Flashtastic56

Hey man, the picture you have as your profile avatar or whatever really pisses me off. Have you ever meat anyone who just looks stupid and you would love to punch. Well,thats how I feel about your picture. I would love to punch the smiling face so hard that I would break his nose and orbital bone in one shot. You cool, but that smilling player in your picture, not cool.

Posted by pjwalny from Not Detroit, evidently?? on 08/23/10 at 03:05 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

When is school back in session?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 08/23/10 at 03:10 PM ET

Moq's avatar

My advice would be tolerance and anger management. And how do you “meat” someone with underlying violent intentions, slap him/her with beef?

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 08/23/10 at 03:11 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I guess that means the Wings’ lineup is pretty much set, now, huh?

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Milford, CT on 08/23/10 at 01:57 PM ET

Yeah, they’ve got 15 forwards competing for 14 roster spots (realistically five forwards competing for two starting spots and two backup spots) and 9 defensemen competing for 7 spots (realistically five d-men competing for two starting spots and the backup role).  They could sign up to another $5M in talent or so before the season to let more people fight it out in camp, but with all of those players they’re right now about $900K over the cap already and there’s no real point in playing with the 10% training camp cushion with what they have.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/23/10 at 03:11 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 08/23/10 at 02:11 PM ET

LOL… I was thinking the same thing.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 08/23/10 at 03:24 PM ET

Sullyosis's avatar

Sweetness.

AJBSKDLJFEBRKBAKDSR

!!!

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 08/23/10 at 03:26 PM ET

SK77's avatar

And with it looking like Kronwall still needs to go under the knife you’ve got your 2nd and 3rd defensive pairings up in the air.

Let Ericsson and Kindl pair up with Stuart and Salei, figure out what works best, and that’ll give the two kids a chance to prove who deserves to remain in the lineup when Kronwall comes back.

DROP THE PUCK !!!

Posted by SK77 on 08/23/10 at 03:31 PM ET

Gabriel's avatar

Bad ass. Soooo….when does hockey start again?

August friggin blows.

slap him/her with beef?

Paging RWBill…

Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 08/23/10 at 03:44 PM ET

pjwalny's avatar

* iphone grammar check it’s not my fault.

Posted by pjwalny from Not Detroit, evidently?? on 08/23/10 at 04:32 PM ET

pjwalny's avatar

You guys must really hate my post judging by the eagerness to jump on a opportunity to belittle me. I always thought I was bringing some excitement and controversy to the blogging world. I’ll try to have someone proof read my post before sending them, it’s like dropping bait into a barrel filled with fish. Using some frozen meat to beat someone’s face in could be somewhat innovative.

Posted by pjwalny from Not Detroit, evidently?? on 08/23/10 at 04:48 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Seems here you were just trying to pick a fight for the sake of picking a fight.  Red Wings fans and Penguins fans have fought on this site long before you got here and some of us have come to something of an understanding as far as board etiquette.  Nobody cares if you want to punch Bill Guerin in the face, especially if you can’t say so in a tongue-in-cheek manner.

Trolling doesn’t bring controversy and whatever excitement it may bring, it brings double that in annoyance.  Nobody wants to debate the concept of pro-Bill-Guerin-punching versus anti-Bill-Guerin-punching.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/23/10 at 04:54 PM ET

scotts0's avatar

And NOW I am officially ok with the signing of Modano.  Didn’t want to risk losing Helm or Abby for Modano.

Posted by scotts0 from New York on 08/23/10 at 04:56 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

For the sake of completeness, here are the CapGeek.com salary and cap space figures. The Wings currently have 25 guys on the NHL roster and are $441k over the cap. But when they move Ritola and Meech, they’ll end up with a modest $575k in available space…just enough to call up MacDonald if Ozzie or Howie have a minor injury in the first week or so.

FORWARDS: 15

ROSTER SIZE: 25
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000
PAYROLL: $59,841,545
CAP SPACE: –$441,545

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 08/23/10 at 05:13 PM ET

pjwalny's avatar

$787,000 is alot of money to pay for a handful of goals, lots of penalty minutes and one young enforcer. Im glad we signed him, glad he is from MSU and Muskegan or however its spelled.

Everyone thinks that we needed to get some enforcers this off season. If you have a team full of enforcers, than all those checks could change the pace of the game. A team like the Red Wings in not going to change that much from having one tough kid who can check. Same for getting one defender that can check good. Two players is not going to scare teams away from hitting our old guys. If you have a team filled with those type of players well more power to you, but to go out of your way to take power over skill is stupid. If you have it great, if not oh well .

Posted by pjwalny from Not Detroit, evidently?? on 08/23/10 at 05:46 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

So sad to see us finally in a post-Maltby era.  Thanks for all the good times Malts.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 08/23/10 at 05:53 PM ET

$787,000 is alot of money to pay

No.  It isn’t.

Posted by Garth on 08/23/10 at 06:00 PM ET

VooX's avatar

If he can’t sign a contract elsewhere, and who know if he wants to in the first place, I see him signing a two-way deal with Grand Rapids.  He can come up and play in the playoffs if we need him, or simply be a really gritty black ace.

If we sign him to a two-way deal, and waive him down to GR, likely no team will pick him up.  Likely they will know he would retire before playing with another team, especially as a waiver acquisition.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 08/23/10 at 06:14 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Yabadabadu.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 08/23/10 at 06:22 PM ET

pjwalny's avatar

It is a cold and gloomy day this Monday afternoon in Michigan. You can’t help but notice that the hockey season and the football season is right around the corner. Most of you are hockey fans and you know all about how the state of Michigan loves our Detroit Red Wings.

If you don’t live here you might not know anything about the other team that Michiganders hold close to their heart. Similar to the Red Wings this team has a long tradition of success and pride. Unlike to the Red Wings, this team has not achieved its usual greatness that we have all have come to expect.

Now we know that this team is going through some rebuilding and changes. We don’t have any false hopes or expectations that this team will win all or even most of their games.  If we should only win one game please, for the love of god, please be the last game of the year. If it happens that we loose every game except for one, and that one victory is the last scheduled game of the year, we would be more than happy to label this entire year as a monumental success.

Please, send out your prayers to the Victors valiant, the Conquering Heroes and to the Leaders and Best. Just beat those stupid, ugly, incest breading, poor excuse for a student body, red neck hill-billies who are just a little south of our great state!

Posted by pjwalny from Not Detroit, evidently?? on 08/23/10 at 06:44 PM ET

Posted by pjwalny from Not Detroit, evidently?? on 08/23/10 at 05:44 PM ET

What on EARTH are you going on about?

Posted by Garth on 08/23/10 at 07:16 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Posted by pjwalny from Not Detroit, evidently?? on 08/23/10 at 05:44 PM ET

Huh?

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 08/23/10 at 07:25 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

He obviously wants some attention and he doesn’t seem to care much about Ohio (not that I do either…but home is where you make it I suppose).  LOL

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 08/23/10 at 07:25 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Well, that pretty much puts a lid on all the doomsday scenarios concerning what the signing of Modano will mean for players such as Abby.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 08/23/10 at 07:59 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

No one said that, with Modano, Abdelkader wouldn’t be signed. The talk was that he won’t play in his natural position and/or get the ice time needed to develop.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 08/23/10 at 08:03 PM ET

SK77's avatar

I’m sure if he’s playing well enough to warrant taking the third line role over from Modano then it’s all his.

Until then best to keep him on the fourth and let him soak it in.

Posted by SK77 on 08/23/10 at 08:29 PM ET

As Herm said, it was never a question of whether or not he’d be signed.  Without being eligible for arbitration, it was either sign with the Wings or don’t play hockey in North America.

The concern was (and still is) what kind of role he’s going to have.

And I don’t know how set in stone it is, but according to what Nill said, Draper will be on the fourth line and I don’t think anyone expects Helm to not be the starting fourth line centre, so that leaves Abby, Eaves and Miller to fight for that last spot.

Even if Miller is dealt, how many expect that Abdelkader will/should get much playing time over Patrick Eaves?

Posted by Garth on 08/23/10 at 09:46 PM ET

pjwalny's avatar

IF the wings didn’t have enough money or were unable to Abdelkator, the people who opposed signing Modano would have used that as to fuel their side of the story. Some say that we shouldn’t sign Mike Mo because were already to old or we need to start building our future or he takes up salary space. It seemed like, and still seems like some opposed the Modano signing.

Really he didn’t deter any signings or roster space. Whether you like it or not, we got Modano for cheap price, he didn’t force anybody off the team and he’s a nice addition. If signing Mike meant that we had to give up Justin than thats another thing. Obviously that didnt happen. If you think he hindered Maltby from remaining on the team, well I just dont think that was gonna happen either way.

We still retained all four of the restricted free agents that everybody was worried about. We also got our the defender we were in the market for. Some think Ruslan was a mistake, but really I think we got lucky and bought him for a low price due to his unfortunate injuries. Modano did not hinder the signing of anyone. He was simply a great addition. He will be used on the PP and were gonna have three prominent lines pending on his natural chemistry with either franzen/Bert or Hudler/Cleary.

Personally I feel, well I hope he gets paired with Hudler and Cleary. I think Val has earned his spot as the second center. I also think that Franzen and Bertuzzi are going to be great next year. Bertuzzi loves to pass when he has a scorer like Zetterburg or Franzen. Todd seldom takes his own shots with Z, I saw that alot last year. I think Franzen and Bertuzzi can play like they did in that game 4 of the Sharks series. When Franzen gets hot, he is the best offensive players in the league coupled with Bertuzzi who likes dishing it out.

Oh and how in the world did no-one get that football post. Hail to the victors valiant is the wolverine fight song. There is a rivalry that you might have heard about called Michigan v. Ohio State. The greatest rivalry in college football??? UofM and OSU always play each other as their last game of the year. Where is George Malik? Im sure he has wrote some article on the rivalry that all you could praise religoulsy like normal and suck his D like you normally do. Thats a compliment George! Your Welcome.

Posted by pjwalny from Not Detroit, evidently?? on 08/23/10 at 09:46 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Religious dick-sucking, huh?  You must have been an altar boy.

It’s a hockey site, cochise… in a post about a winger re-signing.  I’m not sure I can adequately explain the concept of what exactly on-topic means around here, but I think most have a pretty good grasp.  Might I suggest utilizing the KK Members’ Blog for future random rants?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/23/10 at 10:00 PM ET

Paul's avatar

pjwalny, I am asking you to not use that type of language here.

People come to KK to talk hockey and the childish banter is not appreciated nor will it be put up with.

I know you are new to KK, but that is the way it is.

Thanks.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/23/10 at 10:06 PM ET

pjwalny's avatar

Might I suggest utilizing the KK Members’ Blog for future random rants?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/23/10 at 09:00 PM ET

Okay thanks.I would have, I always skipped catechism though, That was all on topic. Abby linked to Modano> Modano> linked to the line pairings>linked to Bert/Franzen. Oh, the football thing, okay. Gotcha. He probably has wrote about it though, you know?? I wont mention it again.

Posted by pjwalny from Not Detroit, evidently?? on 08/23/10 at 10:08 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Thanks pjwalny.  You can stray off topic and at times people do, just keep it civilized.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/23/10 at 10:11 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Posted by Garth on 08/23/10 at 08:46 PM ET

If anything, I’d assume Helmer and Eaves will get the most minutes on the 4th line, with Drapes, Abby, and Miller fighting for the last spot.

Then there are injur…um…nevermind.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 08/23/10 at 10:31 PM ET

pjwalny's avatar

No problem, I didn’t even mean it to be read like that. It was supposed to stand for Demographic because he writes about a Detroit, Michigan sports team.I figured he might have covered some other sports in the metro detroit area. Totally bad call on my part. I sent it out before I was ready to, sincerely sorry.

Posted by pjwalny from Not Detroit, evidently?? on 08/23/10 at 10:33 PM ET

Paul's avatar

pjwalny, thanks for the explanation, carry on…

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/23/10 at 10:35 PM ET

Then there are injur…um…nevermind.

Posted by mrfluffy from Cincy on 08/23/10 at 09:31 PM ET

Whoremouth.  Shut it.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 08/23/10 at 10:36 PM ET

That would be my assumption, but I read the piece on Nill (good work, VooX) and he mentioned that Draper would be on the fourth line, so I don’t know what to think.

I would hope that Helm and Eaves are mainstays with Miller and Abdelkader sharing time…

Posted by Garth on 08/23/10 at 11:03 PM ET