Wings Now Have A Patch On Practice Jersey

DETROIT, Nov. 17, 2010 /PRNewswire/—The Detroit Red Wings announced today they have signed an agreement with Amway. The multi-platform deal provides Amway with the exclusive rights to placing its logo on the official Red Wings practice jersey as well as dasher board signage during Wings home games. The practice jersey is worn by Red Wings players during all practices and morning skates, both home and away, throughout the entire regular season and playoffs.

image

The Amway logo patch will appear on the upper right front of the Wings practice jerseys beginning with Wednesday’s (11/17) morning skate.  Reebok’s logo will remain on the upper left of the jersey front.  The partnership is one of just four jersey sponsorships currently active in the National Hockey League, joining Calgary, Vancouver and Chicago.

“When the National Hockey League created the opportunity for the practice jersey sponsorship, Amway emerged as an ideal partner for the Red Wings,” said Steve Violetta, the Red Wings senior vice president of business affairs.  “As a Michigan-based company that is an active sponsor in several sports, we are very pleased with this alliance and look forward to an exciting future with our new partner.”

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

Pharazon's avatar

makes sense…

shame it can’t get our cap up

Posted by Pharazon from England on 11/17/10 at 01:27 PM ET

jennyquarx's avatar

Do not like.

Posted by jennyquarx on 11/17/10 at 01:29 PM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

And of all things their first product endorsement patch comes from Amway.  Uggh.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 11/17/10 at 01:31 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Well that’s hideous.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 11/17/10 at 01:31 PM ET

MarkK's avatar

Incredibly hideous.

Posted by MarkK from Maryland on 11/17/10 at 01:33 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Wonder if they’re supplying free laundry soap.  I recall that stuff being able to remove about anything…hell probably even get Homer’s jersey fresh….ish.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 11/17/10 at 01:34 PM ET

arice89's avatar

Ugh. How long before we see these on game jerseys?

Posted by arice89 on 11/17/10 at 01:35 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

did anyone tell them Amway is a cult and a pyramid scheme? I’ve see them in action: absolutely a cult.  I’ve been a wings fan a long time, but if a Wing does an Amway commercial, I’m done.

Posted by MoreShoot on 11/17/10 at 01:36 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Me not likey! Not one bit.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 11/17/10 at 01:38 PM ET

So are the Red Wing game brochure’s now Amway catalogues?

Are the Wings required to sell 5 screwdriver sets or knife sets each night or they don’t get their endorsement money?

Can Mike Ilitch sign fans up to Amway and collect part of their earnings?

Posted by 41 Long Ones from Edmonton on 11/17/10 at 01:39 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

I’m pretty sure I just threw up in my mouth.  A lot.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 11/17/10 at 01:40 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

This is just craptastic. I’m soooooooooooo disappointed.

Lets Go Red Wings?????

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 11/17/10 at 01:42 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

I feel like I’ve just been b!tch slapped right across my heart.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 11/17/10 at 01:44 PM ET

The Meal's avatar

I’m fine with the concept of selling adverts on practice jerseys, but I’m no fan of Amway’s sponsorship.

Posted by The Meal on 11/17/10 at 01:52 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 11/17/10 at 01:56 PM ET

scotts0's avatar

I believe the word I’m thinking of is, stupid.

Posted by scotts0 from New York on 11/17/10 at 02:00 PM ET

Well, Amway sponsers the Griffins, and in fact Jay Van Andel is one of the co-creators of Amway and also the name of the arena the Griffins play in.  Corporate issues aside (and trust me i understand all too well the ill feelings for Amway) the Van Andels and Devoses are the Illitches of Grand Rapids when it comes to past and current re-vitilization of the city and community.

Posted by Dahrken from Grand Rapids, MI on 11/17/10 at 02:15 PM ET

Thag's avatar

Can’o'worms…

Posted by Thag from DC on 11/17/10 at 02:29 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

I didn’t think there was anything that could get me breakup with the Red Wings, but this might do it. Knowing that the Ilitches are in <strike>bed</strike> business with the (alleged) crooks and scam artists that are the DeVos family and Amway, really makes me question my loyalty to the team.

I’m less concerned about having ads on practice jerseys than by whose advertising dollars the Ilitches chose to accept.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 11/17/10 at 02:33 PM ET

Since71's avatar

Now the jerseys smell like citrus.

Posted by Since71 from Bucharest, Romania on 11/17/10 at 02:41 PM ET

Ajax19's avatar

It’s a patch on a PRACTICE jersey.  I really couldn’t care less about this.

It’s a tough economy out there, especially here in Detroit, which is essentially Ground Zero for the economy.  You’ve got get money and sponsors where you can.  I have no love for Amway or the DeVos family, but it’s a practice jersey.

*insert Allen Iverson rant about practice here*

Posted by Ajax19 on 11/17/10 at 02:51 PM ET

Crater's avatar

Rather ugly, but as said above, it is a practice jersey and doesn’t really matter. I’d rather see this patch than see the Red Wings suffer because of the down economy. If Illitch can make some extra money and keep the franchise strong, go for it.

Posted by Crater from SoCal on 11/17/10 at 02:55 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

You are all overlooking the fact that the increased revenue will allow them to reduce ticket prices just like the salary cap did.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 11/17/10 at 03:09 PM ET

As an ex auditor for Canada Revenue Agency (Canadian equivalent to IRS) I know for a fact that every tax return by an Amway distributor is flagged for review by a full time team of specialists well versed in their antics.  In the tax community the company is known as “Scamway” for good reason.  I recommend that Mr. Illitch reconsider his association with these charlatans lest his companies come under an increased focus by your tax authorities.
Cheers

Posted by MattinSurrey on 11/17/10 at 04:02 PM ET

Boooooooooooo!

Posted by loojay on 11/17/10 at 04:08 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

The Amway Red Wings. LOL

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 11/17/10 at 04:10 PM ET

The Amway Red Wings. LOL

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 11/17/10 at 02:10 PM ET

I’ll do you one better Lindas….  Welcome to the first home game at “Amway arena” the new home of your Detroit Red Wings.

Ok, now I just threw up in my mouth.

Posted by Dahrken from Grand Rapids, MI on 11/17/10 at 04:14 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

The worst part of this is that other teams will think it’s okay now that the Red Wings have done it. Watch, in the next few season all the teams will be doing this. It’s happening in the NFL too.

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 11/17/10 at 04:18 PM ET

Steve Violetta better wake the hell up and reconsider this association.

So long as it stays on the practice sweaters, I really can’t complain but it’s “Amway.”  There’s something sleazy ‘bout that.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 11/17/10 at 04:19 PM ET

BTW SYF, I’m going to be in your town over christmas for a week.

Posted by Dahrken from Grand Rapids, MI on 11/17/10 at 04:36 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

It is not limited to practice jerseys:

Photobucket

That is a huge Amway logo on the Wings’ homepage. Now, look closely at that picture of Modano on the right. That is Modano in a game uniform and that is an Amway logo on it.

Slippery slope, indeed.

Voice your displeasure at the Wings partnership with Amway. Here is contact info from the Wings website

To find out about the outstanding partnership opportunities with the Detroit Red Wings, please contact corporate partnership sales coordinator Casey Gmerek at 313-396-7543 or email her at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 11/17/10 at 04:45 PM ET

BTW SYF, I’m going to be in your town over christmas for a week.

Posted by Dahrken from Grand Rapids, MI on 11/17/10 at 02:36 PM ET

ROFL.  I’m going to be in San Jose visiting my aunts and uncles that same week, man.  We won’t be back till after NYE.  I love my luck sometimes.

Shoot me an email:  .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) and I can give you some tips on Vegas.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 11/17/10 at 04:57 PM ET

arice89's avatar

@CaptainDennis: That’s not a game jersey Modano is wearing, unless of course they added the Reebok logo to the left shoulder too.

Posted by arice89 on 11/17/10 at 05:00 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by arice89 on 11/17/10 at 03:00 PM

You are correct. Though the practice jersey above with the amway logo has a grey collay. The jersey Modano wears on the website has a red collar. This was the source of my mistake.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 11/17/10 at 05:12 PM ET

To paraprhase AI: We’re talking about practice jerseys.

Who gives a shit what they have on their damn practice jerseys?

Why would anyone pay to have a patch on a practice jersey anyhow?

Posted by Garth on 11/17/10 at 05:17 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Who gives a shit what they have on their damn practice jerseys?

Why would anyone pay to have a patch on a practice jersey anyhow?

Obviously someone cared enough to give money.  Perhaps Amway sees it as ‘breaking the ice’, if you excuse the pun. A trial balloon.

Posted by MoreShoot on 11/17/10 at 05:20 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

To paraprhase AI: We’re talking about practice jerseys.
Who gives a shit what they have on their damn practice jerseys?
Why would anyone pay to have a patch on a practice jersey anyhow?
Posted by Garth on 11/17/10 at 03:17 PM

We are talking about Amway sposoring the Wings. The Amway logo in on the Wing’s website. Go to the Wings’ website and surf around. Pick any page, that thing is in the upper right corner.

Still think we’re just talking about practice?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 11/17/10 at 05:22 PM ET

Baroque's avatar

Someone asked how long before it’s not just practice jerseys… My wild guess is three years at the most. Unemployment is predicted to remain high, there will be more older unemployed workers in their 50s who “age out” of the working pool while depleting the savings that they were going to use in retirement, and the foreclosure market isn’t expected to bottom out fully until possibly 2013.

Two or three years, every team will be looking into cheerleaders to keep the casual fans entertained, sponsorships to defray expenses, and I think game jersey patches will show up on more than a few teams. I wouldn’t be surprised if the first teams to have game jersey patches are a team struggling at the gate like Florida along with a team like Toronto that has always had an eye for making a few more bucks.

The marketing blitz is inevitable. And money is money, so whoever has it and wants to pay, NHL teams will take it.

Posted by Baroque from Michigan on 11/17/10 at 05:36 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Oh, I missed this topic. What I said on A2Y:

Why is that a probelm? Aside from possible illegal activities from Amway, why can’t the team sell the space on practice jerseys? For fuch’s sake, when was the last time you saw a practice jersey? Most stories have game pictures, and when it’s practice it’s usually from months ago. Even if the Wings provide new pics for every story, what’s the problem?

Also, are people forgetting that Mike Illitich wants to buy an NBA team? I don’t care how much money he has, that’s a big fuching deal. And as far as we know, that’s just the first step on a bigger fuchinger deal, this being building a new arena. A new arena that Illitch won’t pay for alone, and the city/state can’t afford, so what’s the problem in getting all the money he can?

And nowadays executives don’t just build places and wait for decades to make up for that money, they sell naming rights to get it right away. This could be the first move in direction to Wings and Piston playing on Amway Arena in a few years, which I’ll certainly hate (althought playing on AA would be fitting for us, the 19.

Last ramble, when the NHL says they’re against too much technology and shit, you say the League is trapped in the past. Well, my friends, getting money from wherever you can is the way it’s done today, get used to used to it.

Except on game jerseys.