Will You Miss Bill Watters On Rogers Sportsnet Broadcasts?

from Steve Buffery of the Toronto Sun,

A former linebacker with the Varsity Blues, Bill Watters took his termination from Rogers Sportsnet on Thursday like a man.

In any event, Watters is no longer a hockey analyst at Rogers Sportsnet, the victim, it appears, of Rogers’ re-branding of its all-sports radio station, The FAN 590. Starting this week, the station is now called Sportsnet Radio FAN 590. Apparently, Rogers Sportsnet no longer wants anyone on the network who works for a rival radio station, at least in the Toronto market. The personable Watters hosts The Bill Watters Show weekdays from 4-7 p.m. on Talk Radio AM 640.

Watters, who has been with Rogers Sportsnet since 2003, took the news with a grain of salt.

“I had eight years there and it was great fun,” he told the Toronto Sun on Thursday night. “There’s no need to be bitter about it.

“I enjoyed my time there,” Watters added. “What can you say? I’m not as happy I was yesterday, I’ve had some enjoyment taken out of my life, but I’m certainly not bitter.”

continued

Filed in: NHL Media, Hockey Broadcasting, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: bill+watters

Comments

Will I miss him from Sportsnet broadcasts?  Hell, I might actually turn on Hockey Central with the guarantee that Watters won’t be on…

Posted by Garth on 01/14/11 at 01:34 PM ET

Will You Miss Bill Watters On Rogers Sportsnet Broadcasts?”
No, I think only his bank account will.

Hell, I might actually turn on Hockey Central with the guarantee…”
Posted by Garth on 01/14/11 at 10:34 AM ET
That’s a nice thought, but for me it’s only a thought.

Posted by NathanBC on 01/14/11 at 02:12 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

Oh no! Where else will we be able to listen to some old fart ramble on how Kerry Fraser screwed the Leafs in ‘93 or how Marion Hossa ruined the Leafs by slicing open Bryan Berard’s eye?

Oh wait, I’ll still be able to get all of that on 590 regardless of who owns the stations.
Oooowns! Ooooownnns!

Posted by Hank1974 on 01/14/11 at 02:31 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Back in the day I loved listening to leafs games with Joe Bowen doing play by play and Bill Waters doing color.  That was before Mr. Illitch complained and the games were taken off CKLW, and put on some 500 watt station in Leamington.

Posted by Down River Dan on 01/14/11 at 05:30 PM ET

I’m glad to see him go. He’s a blowhard.

Posted by dzuunmod on 01/14/11 at 05:46 PM ET