Why Nystrom Was Not Suspended For His Hit On Letang

from Stu Hackel of the Red Light,

Hockey players have been taught for decades upon decades that in defensive situations, it’s more effective to play the man and not the puck, and the rules are written to reflect that, including ones that permit players to be bodychecked even after they have gotten rid of the puck. The whole notion of finishing a check is predicated on that being allowable under the rules.

And because the NHL believes body contact is one of the most highly appealing aspects of the game for its fans, it is loath to curtail it. Every step of the campaign against hits that cause concussions has been met with resistance from those who claim that prohibiting certain sorts of hits will take all of them out of the game, turning it into less appealing non-contact sport. They have been proven wrong, of course, as the game has certainly survived Rule 48, both in its first very limited incarnation of banning blindside and lateral hits to the head and with this year’s more restrictive “targeting” standard.

The Nystrom hit on Letang is perhaps the next frontier of where Rule 48 might go. It’s not going to be as easy to figure this one out, and proponents of the zero-tolerance standard are likely to claim that the rules in use in some junior leagues (both in Canada and the US), the IIHF, and the NCAA are the logical next step. Perhaps they are right.

more...

Filed in: NHL Teams, Dallas Stars, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: eric+nystrom, kris+letang

Comments

Evilpens's avatar

problem is Shannahan has the same wheel of Justice as Campbel, It will take someone dieing or becoming a Vegetable. Then the Cementheads will say “OH we have to stop this Now” The Pens & ML practice what they preach they had a long talk with Matt Cooke who completely transformed himself after his 20 Game suspension & then you Have George McPhee of the Craps saying essentially OV is SOOO Butthurt that he will not appear at the Allstar game or activities

Posted by Evilpens on 03/01/12 at 07:25 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Looks like somebody needs a nap.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/01/12 at 07:37 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Or someone needs to washed their Soiled Panties. AMWings

Posted by Evilpens on 03/01/12 at 07:41 PM ET

I can’t wait until the personal attacks of Evilpens are gone.  I know Paul will do something about it.  Right, Paul?

I’m reconsidering whether I want to be a part of this community if Evilpens is considered a valuable part of it.  I’m not kidding.  It really is that offensive to me.  And I’m pretty darned tough to offend.

I hate to use the purse strings as a method of getting what I want, but I will make a donation to Paul and Kukla’s Korner the day I can read the comments pages on this site without running across the personal attacks, sexism, and other inappropriate language of Evilpens.

Posted by GregAnnapolis on 03/01/12 at 07:46 PM ET

Not that I haven’t donated in the past.  But if this is the sort of person that this community wants to condone, I may reconsider future donations.  :-(

I may not say much on the comments pages, but I do enjoy reading them, as long as certain members don’t post their hateful filth.

Posted by GregAnnapolis on 03/01/12 at 07:48 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Look for a response to all this name calling from me tomorrow in a blog post.

I have had enough of the childish name calling and won’t be associated with it.

I’ve been trying to lay low the last few days after a stressful month of blogging, but will be back in full force tomorrow.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/01/12 at 07:57 PM ET

Understood, and much appreciated, sir.  I hope your stress levels decrease rapidly, and may there be great hockey in your present and future.

Posted by GregAnnapolis on 03/01/12 at 08:02 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Right Greggums like this Looks like somebody needs a nap. Nothing was mentioned in my post about him or anything even in a veiled reference !

Posted by Evilpens on 03/01/12 at 08:12 PM ET

what attack did evilpens make?  I don’t see anything like name calling?  Red wing fans still mad about Sid and the boys winning the cup in Detroit, jeez get over it

Posted by tbassett on 03/01/12 at 09:39 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by tbassett on 03/01/12 at 07:39 PM ET

Trololol.  Keep stirring.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/02/12 at 01:03 AM ET

This is a good article. So is the frazier piece linked within.

Seems more worthwhile to talk about it than who whomever thinks is a baby, but what do I know?

Posted by larry from pitt on 03/02/12 at 05:56 AM ET

I applaud any effort to make the dialogue more civil here Paul, but unless you’re willing to get equally tough on the Wings fans who are consistently the worst offenders then don’t bother.

Posted by RoneFace on 03/03/12 at 10:36 PM ET