Why Matt Cooke Just May Change

from Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review,

About 600 miles separated him from his wife, who was lying in a hospital bed at UPMC Mercy, Uptown. She had fallen ill a day after the Winter Classic, another presumed reoccurrence of a kidney infection. Four days later, as her husband — one of the most infamous players in the NHL for his controversial hits — was frantically calling before a game-day breakfast with Penguins teammates in Montreal, Michelle Cooke was dying.

“I get a hold of a doctor, and he says, ‘I think you should come back right now,’ ” Cooke said. “I got there, and they’ve got a chaplain giving her the blessing (for recovery) and our kids are in that room.”

Seven months later, Cooke warmly gripped his wife’s right hand during a lunch at Aviva Brick Oven Pizzeria in Warrendale. He had not played an NHL game in five months and acknowledged the next could be his last — even if he unintentionally hits an opponent in the head.

read on

thanks to a few KK members for pointing out the article...

Filed in: NHL Teams, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: matt+cooke

Comments

Very good article. Really glad to hear that his wife is doing okay! He better still play with an edge because he’s most effective that way, just within the rules!

Posted by penguinsfan on 08/24/11 at 11:55 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Being apologetic is a good first step.

I’m honestly hoping that his actions back up his words.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/24/11 at 12:12 PM ET

Alan's avatar

I hope he honestly feels that way, and will make a good, honest effort to put his money where his mouth is.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 08/24/11 at 12:40 PM ET

Being apologetic is a good first step.

I’m honestly hoping that his actions back up his words.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/24/11 at 10:12 AM ET

I’m skeptical about all of this, but this is true. I have no recollection of Bryan Marchment or, like, Vaclav Varada ever saying anything like this, at least.

Posted by steviesteve on 08/24/11 at 12:55 PM ET

Skeptical about Cooke’s ability to reform and be effective, I should say, not skeptical that his wife was sick or that he had other personal problems on top of that.

Posted by steviesteve on 08/24/11 at 12:57 PM ET

my family’s cottage is next to bryan marchment’s cottage.  in person he is one of the nicest guys you can meet.  this applies to many of these on ice trouble makers and reading matt cooke’s comments and iseeinf him in nterviews he in all likely hood is no different.

Posted by thomas from ontario on 08/24/11 at 01:58 PM ET

i meant to say “seeing him in interviews”

Posted by thomas from ontario on 08/24/11 at 02:00 PM ET

statelouis26's avatar

This is a heart-warming article but I have no empathy for Matt Cooke and this doesn’t persuade me in any way that he’ll change.  Also I love the “impartial” writing that includes “he unintentionally hits opponents in the head.”  Cooke has never shown respect for his fellow players.  Time after time he has potentially ruined players career’s by his behavior.  Has anyone heard of Marc Savard.  Cooke deserves the Bertuzzi face plant. That’s right, I said it.  People don’t realize how dangerous his behavior is, particularly him.  People can die from this sort of hitting.  It is serious.  He has done this consistently and purposefully.  To me he his life therefore deserves the same consideration.

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 08/25/11 at 12:48 AM ET