Why Columbus?

Pierre LeBrun of ESPN answers some rant mail…

As a Preds fan, I gotta say I’m a little upset that Columbus has been given the ASG for 2013. Really, rewarding a franchise for ineptitude by staging the ASG there? Oh, that’s right—the League did the same thing for Atlanta in 2008. I hope Nashville gets consideration for 2014. The new convention center will be open by then (modeled after Boss Hog’s outhouse) and Nashville has a great party atmosphere right outside the arena doors. This could really rock—the League needs to make this happen.

My take: My understanding is that it’s exactly because the convention center would not be completed in time that Nashville didn’t get it for next year. NHL commissioner Gary Bettman is on record saying Nashville will one day get one and in the not-too-distant future. There won’t be an All-Star Game in 2014 because of the Olympic break but my money would be on Nashville for 2015.

more including the Wings need to start winning on the road…

Filed in: NHL Teams, Columbus Blue Jackets, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

bezukov's avatar

As a Preds fan,

Wait…. They exist!?!

So Nashville gets past the first round for the first time ever and they’re in the NHL brain trust all of the sudden?  While Bubba might be doing a better job at life than the CBJ are, this fellow needs a reality check.  It doesn’t seem to long ago since they were warming up the UHaul trucks.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 01/31/12 at 03:34 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Selfishly, I’m glad for the ASG in Cbus. It’s 2 hours away from me. It’d be even better if the proposed train system across the state hadn’t been killed. Cleveland is a huge metro area with a lot of NHL fans. This COULD help grow the sport in this state.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 01/31/12 at 03:40 PM ET

Posted by bezukov from South of Detroit on 01/31/12 at 12:34 PM ET

You can’t really compare the Predators to the BJs.  The Predators are a well-managed team and the big problem is simply a lack of money.  The BJs are a terribly-managed team that decided to try and make a splash by spending money with abandon when they should’ve tried to spend their money smartly.

The Preds are going to make the playoffs for the fifth time in six season and the Jackets are going to miss the playoffs.  AGAIN.

It’s a complete joke that the BJs are being rewarded in any way by getting to host this spectacle.

Posted by Garth on 01/31/12 at 03:40 PM ET

Alan's avatar

What LeBrun forgets in his childish musings is that Atlanta actually iced a pretty good team in 2005-06, and again in 2006-07. They were a pretty good team in 2007-08 until the wheels fell off before Hossa was traded.

Was the team operated by an inept GM and ownership? Definitely. To claim hosting the All Star Game at Philips was rewarding such ineptitude, however, is reaching.

A reason I see for Columbus hosting the All Star Game next year is an attempt to give the organization a boost, both locally and league-wide.

I must say that I enjoy how butthurt LeBrun is.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 01/31/12 at 03:57 PM ET

The problem is that there are a lot more cities that deserve the spotlight and the influx of money that comes in from things like the All-Star Game and the Winter Classic.

Posted by Garth on 01/31/12 at 04:02 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by Garth on 01/31/12 at 12:40 PM ET

I don’t disagree with you Garth.  I’m just saying Nashville is still one of the newer members of the NHL big kids club.  That guy just seems a little big for britches to me.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 01/31/12 at 04:08 PM ET

UMFan's avatar

A Dukes of Hazzard reference in a hockey question. That just made my day.

Posted by UMFan from Denver, Colorado on 01/31/12 at 05:35 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Hosting the ASG has become a special olympics gold medal.  You won, but… you know the rest.

All the more reason to eliminate it.

Posted by Primis on 01/31/12 at 06:17 PM ET

HockeyFanOhio's avatar

Like redxblack I’m happy the ASG is in Columbus for selfish reason.  I live about 45 minutes away from Nationwide.  When I called about getting on the ticket waiting list I asked about volunteering to help during the weekend.  I’m more interested in that to be honest.  Hopefully we can get tickets to the WC, I’d rather go to that.

Posted by HockeyFanOhio from Central Ohio on 01/31/12 at 07:54 PM ET

monkey's avatar

We’re all missing the Big Picture here:

modeled after Boss Hog’s outhouse

W.T.F.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 02/01/12 at 12:03 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Also, Columbus fans do need this, it’ll be the first time ever the home team is any good.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 02/01/12 at 12:04 PM ET