Who Is Your Target?

.. Not named Parise or Suter?

So, what UFA or player who “may be on the trading block player” is on your wish list?

As a Wings fan, I have two.  1st would be Jason Garrison and the 2nd Rich Nash.

With Garrison, who will be 28 in November and is 6’ 2” and around 220 pounds, the Wings get an offensive defenseman with some size.  He is not known for his big hits but would fit in the Wings system.

He also has 16 goals, nine on the power play and was a + player in Florida.  Watch the goals he scored this year.

Nash is a bit of a stretch even though Columbus GM Howson has stated he would trade Nash to a Central Division team, I would imagine it would be his last resort to move him to Detroit.

The Wings would lose some key players not named Zetterberg or Datsyuk, but in my opinion the Wings need a major shakeup to get “hungry” again.

Filed in: NHL Teams, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

TeamDub's avatar

Had a dream that The Mule was dealt… depending on the return it wouldn’t break my heart, frankly.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 06/30/12 at 07:38 PM ET

Keyser S.'s avatar

Prust & Garrison.

Detroit hasn’t had a prust type since 08? Coincidentally we won the cup that year.

Garrison appears to be underrated. I’d take a chance on him, not wideman dolla, but in the $4-4.5 range.

Posted by Keyser S. on 06/30/12 at 07:50 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

I’m starting to be of the same opinion as Paul, that maybe some everyday player or players may need to be trade bait just to send a message that nobody’s job is safe (with a few exceptions of course). I think an attitude adjustment is definitely in order.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 06/30/12 at 07:52 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

Truth be told, as much as I would love Suter and Parise, I think we could do just as well with Carle, Garrison, Semin, and Doan. I think if we could get all four of those guys, we spend our money wiser and spread the depth further. That said, I want our plan A guys.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 06/30/12 at 07:56 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

RW’s management is 1st Class, you guys have no worries. Lidstrom is a HUGE hole to fill but that happens to everyone sooner or later

Posted by Evilpens on 06/30/12 at 08:08 PM ET

Crow's avatar

Plan A: Suter and Parise
Plan B: Garrison, Semin, Doan and Prust/Armstrong/Laraque
Plan C: Any portion of the above +Trade for Nash

Posted by Crow on 06/30/12 at 08:11 PM ET

Without those two, the only forward I would want is Doan.

Far as D, probably Allen or Garrison, though I shudder to think what those two will bank.

Posted by larry from pitt on 06/30/12 at 08:14 PM ET

Is everybody as ready for Kenny’s big signings tomorrow as much as I am?...Jagr, Knuble and Salvador? Oh helll yes.

Posted by godblender on 06/30/12 at 08:27 PM ET

I like Semin a lot, but I can’t get the image of him attempting to fight marc Staal out of my head. If we get him I believe that Doan should accompany him, a Shanny type presence we so dearly need. On D I like Garrison but I wonder if maybe last season was a complete fluke. I would pick a combo of Semin, Doan, Garrison, and Carle over our two Plan A’s. No one available has the compete level or heart of Parise, but I truly believe that Semin has better offensive potential if he plays to the best of his ability. And Doan would add plenty heart to our line-up. But would it be possible to add those 4? Garrison wants 5, Semin will get 5 from someone wings or not, Carle will get 5 or maybe even closer to 5, and Doan will get 4

Posted by letsmakeit12 on 06/30/12 at 08:43 PM ET

Carle might get closer to 6*

Posted by letsmakeit12 on 06/30/12 at 08:44 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

If Suter and/or Parise are in line for the 10-year, $100M contracts that are being reported, I hope Kenny wishes them well and walks away. Neither of them is worth anything close to that amount.

If they want to play for the Wings, the shorter the contract (4-5 years) the more the per-annum ($7.5M-$8.5M) could be. If either one wants a “lifetime” contract (8-10 years), it has to be at a per-annum of less than $7.5M.

Personally, I’d rather see Tick Tock take a chance on Garrison or Carle plus Parenteau or Semin for five years at $5M per year each. Or scratch Parenteau/Semin and add Olli Jokinen for three years at $4M per.

I’ve never been enamored with Suter, but I did gain a lot of respect for Parise during the playoffs. Either or both would make the Wings better. But neither of them are the difference between the Wings winning the Cup and losing in the second round. Because of that, they just aren’t worth changing the entire salary structure of the organ-I-zation.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 06/30/12 at 08:47 PM ET

This.

As much as Suter would help Detroit and as much as I’d like them to sign him, he is not an elite #1 defenseman. Is he the best available free agent d-man? Yep. I don’t think Detroit should commit more than $7-7.5mil per for him, though. I actually think he’s more deserving of a contract somewhere in the neighborhood of $6mil per, but he’ll obviously get more.

Posted by godblender on 06/30/12 at 09:26 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Suter, Semin and Prust.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/01/12 at 12:04 AM ET

John's avatar

I think Parise is the kind of player that you bid high for, but I would have to agree that Suter probably isn’t.  $6-$7 is his reasonable cap hit and the Wings should think twice about signing him above that.  Parise, though, I think is worth more.

Paradoxically, the Wings need Suter mare than Parise.  So what does that do to the asking price?  Do they bid high on Suter and let Parise walk?  Kenny never signs players for more than they are worth, so I doubt that he gets into a bidding war for Suter, but it is interesting nonetheless.

Something else to think about is that a lot of teams have seen playoff success in the last several years with (1) a hot goalie, (2) a no-name but disciplined defense, and (3) a lot of firepower up front.  The Wings could have that kind of success, I think, by passing up Suter, bidding high for Parise, and filling in the holes in defense with some cheaper, but skilled veteran d-men who know how to win and would fit will in our system.  Howie is capable of carrying the team when needed, and I have confidence in him.

That, I think is the Wings plan B and it looks pretty good to me.

Posted by John from Pittsburgh, PA (Wings fan for life!) on 07/01/12 at 12:49 AM ET

John's avatar

My thoughts on Nash are evolving too.  I used to think $7.8 was too high for a player who has only eclipsed 40 goals twice and has never hit 80 points.  But its important to note that Nash has never really had any support up front on the caliber that other stars have (Think Crosby & Malkin, Datsyuk & Zetterberg, Ovechkin & Semin, etc..) and hes just 28 years old, really only just coming into his prime.

The only problem I have with bringing him on board is that the Wings don’t have any right handed shots.  Z, Pav, Fil, Franzen, Cleary are all lefties and so is Nash.  But so does Parise.  Does that make Nash a better fit or a worse fit?

If Parise goes somewhere else (and I have this nagging feeling that he signs in Pittsburgh), a trade for Nash makes a lot of sense.  That $7.8 cap hit is going to look pretty cheap if Nash hits his stride and posts career numbers for the next 4-5 years, which is not out of the question at all.  I would actually say that it is likely.

Posted by John from Pittsburgh, PA (Wings fan for life!) on 07/01/12 at 01:01 AM ET

I think if the Wings don’t get Suter or Garrison you might see them trade for Boumeester.  I would be happy to see Franzen and Ericsson get shipped off in a trade for anyone because their lack of consistency just brings the team down.  The Wings need big bodies, but big bodies you can count on to play big as neither Franzen or Ericsson play big and you definitely cannot count on them in the clutch.

I would love to see Prust come to the Wings, real good blue collar type of player and just what the Wings are really lacking right now. I don’t think Doan would be a good fit, too old, takes to many penalties and his game has gone south the last 4 years.

There isn’t much else out there on the open market so I am hoping that the Wings look at some trades to bring in some new faces and move out the unproductive.  Also lets hope the KH and crew aren’t dumb enough to bring Sammy back, that would shatter my faith in them seriously.

Posted by Matt from Arizona on 07/01/12 at 01:39 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

...I think, by passing up Suter, bidding high for Parise, and filling in the holes in defense with some cheaper, but skilled veteran d-men who know how to win and would fit will in our system.

I get the logic of that, John. But I honestly think that the second the Wings “overpay” for any one player, they become no better than the Pens or the Rangers. Players need to come to Detroit because of the “culture” and the ability to play with others who value winning over money.

So, If either Parise or Suter don’t get that, let them walk. There are plenty of others who will get it. And those players are the ones who will propel the Wings into their next S.C. Finals.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/01/12 at 02:23 AM ET