While You Are At It Mr. Bettman

If Gary Bettman is indeed speaking with Comcast regarding the TV contract of the San Jose Sharks, he should also bring up the Center Ice package on Comcast.

In my opinion, it is a shame Comcast only offers two HD channels for their Center Ice programming on a nightly basis. What makes matters worse, Comcast often leaves one of those HD stations blank while showing a game on a standard definition channel.

It is 2014, not 2004, all games should be made available in HD, end of story.

Filed in: NHL Teams, NHL Media, Hockey Broadcasting, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Wow, makes me glad I have DirecTV only games on Canadian broadcasts are in SD all others are in HD and even some Canadian broadcasts are in HD. One more reason not to switch to Comcast.

Posted by Puckbubba on 06/18/14 at 12:42 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Yep Pb, I have Directv too but ran that along side Comcast for a free trial in February.

Was astonished about their lack of HD channels for Center Ice.  Told them about it in a letter and asked if Ed Snider knew about this!

Of course, never heard back.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/18/14 at 12:44 PM ET

tekjansen's avatar

The blackout of local games on NHL Gamecenter is also a joke. If I’m paying to watch the games, I should be able to watch the games!

Posted by tekjansen on 06/18/14 at 12:47 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

I have Comcast and get all the Red Wings games in HD… not sure what the issue is   tongue wink

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 06/18/14 at 12:48 PM ET

Paul's avatar

You get them on FSD SnLO.

But try watching all the other games on a given night, only two channels available thru the CI package.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/18/14 at 12:50 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

There really is no reason they should all be HD, agreed. But as mentioned above, the blackout restrictions for Gamecenter are the worst. Lots of people get Gamecenter to watch their out-of-town team without having to have cable TV, and if that out-of-town team is a popular one that gets on NBCSN and NHLN a bunch (e.g. Pens and Wings), these Gamecenter users get stiffed.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 06/18/14 at 01:08 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

Paul, actually I didn’t realize it was so bad. Last time I had CI was back in 2002. I was living abroad and I had DTV. I swore off the cable teet in 1996 due the high cost to service provided factor. All was good with satellite until after Fox and CBS won their local rights lawsuit effectively blacking-out all out-of-market games; subscribing to CI was the only way I could watch the Wings games. I wasn’t keen to get back on the cable teet when I moved back local, but the internet and phone service package was too enticing. Now with the impending switch to Charter, it has me thinking to return to DTV. If not for sport, I would consider having no TV service.

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 06/18/14 at 01:27 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Understood SnLO and I would probably do the same thing if I could.

Comcast internet is great, fast and reliable, but TV, ugh.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/18/14 at 01:31 PM ET

Mistercristo's avatar

FakeGPS

Posted by Mistercristo from Cameron Frye's garage, circa 1987 on 06/18/14 at 02:21 PM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

Paul, I hated that about Comcast as well. Because of that issue, I stopped paying for Center Ice and now watch GameCenter through my Apple TV, which is normally great quality.

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 06/18/14 at 05:10 PM ET