When & Why Did Eddie Olczyk Become “Edzo”?

I’ve received a surprising amount of emails wanting to know why Olczyk is called “Edzo”?

I can get the Ed part but zo has me stumped.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Filed in: NHL Media, Hockey Broadcasting, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: eddie+olczyk

Comments

I believe that Hall of Fame Penguins broadcaster Mike Lange coined the nickname while “Edzo” was working alongside Lange as color commentator.  I’m not sure when, but maybe early to mid 2000s.

-john

Posted by John Devich from Monroeville, PA on 06/07/11 at 01:32 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

I think for a while he was calle “Eddie O” and it just evolved into “Edzo.” I don’t remember when I initially heard that nick being applied, but it was probably coined by one of his broadcast buddies over the last ten years.

That’s all just a SWAG, I don’t really know.

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 06/07/11 at 01:32 PM ET

He’s italian too.

Why do people come to you Paul with questions like that?

Posted by NathanBC on 06/07/11 at 01:33 PM ET

Slumpy's avatar

Does it have anything to do with his laugh LOL

Edna would fit his laugh. Note to him that Emerick is not that funny.

Posted by Slumpy from Detroit on 06/07/11 at 01:36 PM ET

I don’t know but I think it has to do more with the name Ed or Edward. My brother’s name is Edward but my dad called him Edzo somtimes, I think it’s just a short type of nickname for some instead of calling them Edward or Eddie. I have no idea where it came from though.

Posted by AdamBruinsFan on 06/07/11 at 01:39 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Why do people come to you Paul with questions like that?

Posted by NathanBC on 06/07/11 at 11:33 AM ET

Who knows NathanBC but I do try to answer or find the answer to questions like this.

You would not believe some of the questions, do I have the phone number or address of a certain player, which I won’t give out, is so and so married, why is the puck round, and hundreds a week asking team specific questions.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/07/11 at 01:44 PM ET

Think Mike Lange just started calling him that one day.

Posted by steviesteve on 06/07/11 at 01:46 PM ET

Keyser S.'s avatar

Edzo came about because he’s a bozo. Ed-zo!

You know like the clown. Because he’s a clown. Get It? He sucks!

Posted by Keyser S. on 06/07/11 at 02:01 PM ET

Keyser S.'s avatar

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/07/11 at 11:44 AM ET

Paul, if you were a poem, what kind of poem would you be?

Posted by Keyser S. on 06/07/11 at 02:03 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Hey Paul…boxers or briefs?

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 06/07/11 at 02:07 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Paul, if you were a poem, what kind of poem would you be?

Posted by Keyser S. on 06/07/11 at 12:03 PM ET

A short one.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/07/11 at 02:08 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

And when did it become painfully apparent the Mike Emerick cannot let the events of the hockey game in front of him interrupt his narrative of the game in his head?  No doubt he’s got the gift of gab, but maybe his eyes aren’t what they used to be.

Posted by MoreShoot on 06/07/11 at 02:09 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Hey Paul…boxers or briefs?

Posted by 42jeff from Minot, North Dakota on 06/07/11 at 12:07 PM ET

The answer.

Next question.

Posted by Paul

Should be the answer.

I hate Pierre McGuire.

Posted by awould

Default answer for anything hockey on NBC.

Posted by Osrt on 06/07/11 at 02:36 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

How much can a woodchuck chuck if a wood…

Uh…so how’s it going, Paul?  smile

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 06/07/11 at 02:41 PM ET

Default answer for anything hockey on NBC.

Watch Pierre McGuire try to get in on the finger in the players’ faces action. I’d amputate my lips if he did that to me.

Posted by steviesteve on 06/07/11 at 02:43 PM ET

Mr. Ed (the talking horse) planted his seed in Bozo the Clown.  Their offspring was Edzo.  Tell me he doesn’t sound like Kevin from the office when he goes off on one of his simpleton rants.

Posted by wolverine from hockeyheaven on 06/07/11 at 04:49 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

why is the puck round

Because it isn’t square!

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 06/07/11 at 05:32 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I really have no idea… but I think a version of edward in italian is ENzo.. I assume Eddie was italian and that’s why they call him that.  Tons of italians named ENzo.. I didn’t realize they were saying EDzo

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 06/07/11 at 05:38 PM ET