When Should The Words Stop?

This video has been out for some time, but I am posting it below just to get your opinion.

The video is the Crosby scrum from Sunday but my attention is drawn to the words of former NHL defenseman Chris Therien, color commentator on Philadelphia Flyers radio broadcasts on Sports Radio 94 WIP.

“Punch him in the face as hard as you can” and “Crosby is an absolute joke” are a few of the phrases Therien used to describe what was going on.

Did Therien cross the line or are you ok with what he said.

Watch the video below…

Filed in: NHL Teams, Philadelphia Flyers, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: chris+therien, sidney+crosby

Comments

I think it’s over the line for the commentator to take sides in these type of situations.  Similarly, I hate watching CBC broadcasts with one Canadian team, because the coverage is so unbalanced. For example, on a Kings shorthanded goal, it took me nearly 30 seconds afterward to figure out they scored because the announcers wouldn’t even acknowledge a goal or add any inflection to their voices following the goal.
That said, I wish that someone would “punch [Crosby] in the face as hard as you can”

Posted by Josh from Warren on 04/17/12 at 10:00 AM ET

He is on the Flyers broadcast, I have no problem with that, they are as much a group of homers as anyone (including the Pens broadcast team).  The thing that bothers me most about this is Crosby swiping a Bryzgalov’s glove.  This whistle was really late.  You play to the whistle. So the Flyers have no reason to be pissed about that.

The Voracek glove thing, is totally high school.  The reaction was even worse.  Sid doesn’t make it easy on himself doing stuff like that, but the reaction from the media/fans is way over the top.

Posted by letsgopronovost on 04/17/12 at 10:12 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Local radio broadcast in Philly?  Guy’s playing to his crowd.  If Philly fans don’t like it, then this is an in-house issue for them to take care of.

Much like how I’ve seen a ton of Pittsburgh fans who will watch games on ROOT Sports because they have to, but will often mute the TV feed and listen to the radio for the play-by-play.

Ultimately, it’s up to Philadelphia to decide whether he crossed a line.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/17/12 at 10:13 AM ET

A local broadcast is in fact a LOCAL BROADCAST.  If you don’t like what they say, change the channel.  I hate when people say they shouldn’t take sides.  They’re fans of the team they are covering and their opinion is their opinion.  It’s not their job to be unbiased because its broadcast area is to fans of the Flyers.

Posted by Jeric on 04/17/12 at 10:14 AM ET

Faux Rumors's avatar

Yes, a tad over the top, but very entertaining!!  LOL

Posted by Faux Rumors from Globally- Here, there, Everywhere on 04/17/12 at 10:39 AM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

well, you know, just like Weber, it was “just the heat of the moment”. hey broadcasters in the playoffs, these things happen blah,blah,blah

Posted by Rdwings28 on 04/17/12 at 10:59 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

The TV and radio broadcasters for the given teams local productions travel with the team. Most of these guys have been around the team they cover for years and shared in some of the “team” stuff like late night/early morning travel, long road trips, etc. Of course they will be invested in those teams and I think it is stupid and silly when fans criticize LOCAL broadcasters for being “homers.” Not only is it natural for them to be “homers,” but I think it is a good thing and an expectation—you don’t want them to be total slappies if their team sucks and sugar coat everything, but they are there for one specific group of fans, and so they absolutely should cater to the fans of that team.

Also, don’t many of these broadcasters actually get their paychecks from the teams they cover, not the networks? This is totally based on something I thought I heard someone of who knows how much authority say once upon a time, so I fully admit it may be misguided… but I thought in many cases the teams paid these guys and it was more the rights to the broadcast they were selling to the network(s) of their choice.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 04/17/12 at 11:57 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

On the specific topic at hand, it was maybe a bit excessive any way you slice it, but Crosby was acting a fool… hard to fault him for calling that out.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 04/17/12 at 11:58 AM ET

Nah, the Flyers have every reason to be upset about someone whacking at Bryzgalov’s glove while the puck is under it. That said, that’s the right play in the playoffs if there’s no whistle, so that scrum was the refs’ faults for not blowing it dead. Still, if the right play by the other team might give your goalie a broken finger; you have to respond anyway.

Therien’s a clown, and not a very good analyst. That third sequence happened because of the actions of two people: James Neal, who was running around the last two shifts, and Craig Berube, who told Simmonds to go fight him on the way to the box. therien’s job as an analyst is to see that, yet he somehow missed what was actually going on. Don’t know why he’s mad, either. Once James neal starts running around like that, that’s how the flyers are supposed to respond. And how the Penguins are supposed to respond to that response.

I’m most interested in what Shanahan does to Neal. Nothing he did garners a suspension in Shanahan’s NHL. But he was clearly out there looking to knock someone out of the series. Shanahan’s looked the other way on numerous occasions where a guy decided to take another guy out of a game without technically violating a rule that requires supplementary discipline. He shouldn’t look the other way now, but how does he square suspending Neal for this while ignoring every other time this happens?

Posted by larry from pitt on 04/17/12 at 12:08 PM ET

I don’t mind if the home town announcers have a rooting interest for the team they cover or even if they cheer their team on, just don’t treat me like I am stupid. If a guy on my team slashed someone, you can be disappointed the other team has a powerplay, but don’t act like my player is a saint and the ref blew the call. I want honest analysis, not excuses. I want my team to win as much as the next person, but pretending that my team’s execution is perfect and that we don’t have an asshat or two in our lineup isn’t what I want to hear either.

As for radio, any sports radio, I take it with a grain of salt since I can’t see for myself what they are rambling on about. Too bad when it comes to radio, you can just change the channel, but that means you aren’t following the sport you love either.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 04/17/12 at 12:10 PM ET

Mike Lange, at least, is a Pittsburgh Penguins employee, not a clear channel employee.

Posted by larry from pitt on 04/17/12 at 12:12 PM ET

FYI, there is an rumor floating around that tom sestito skated today.

Posted by FlyersFan on 04/17/12 at 12:33 PM ET