When Will The NHL Regular Season Start?

Your turn KK Members, what is you best guestimate of when will the NHL regular season start?

I hate to say it, but my prediction is Sunday, November 18th, four days before American Thanksgiving.

Filed in: NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

tkfergy's avatar

Friday December 14, It gives a couple of weeks before winterfest to start.

Posted by tkfergy on 09/11/12 at 11:43 AM ET

phillyd's avatar

I was actually thinking Black Friday, Paul, November 23rd. And that means Thanksgiving is early this year.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 09/11/12 at 11:43 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

No idea.  If it starts at all.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 09/11/12 at 11:52 AM ET

MarkK's avatar

I’ll be the optimist and guess 10/24.

Posted by MarkK from Maryland on 09/11/12 at 11:53 AM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

I hope that the Winter Classic kicks off the season on January 1, 2013.

My gut tells me this may be another lost season.

Why would the players cave? They were raked over the coals last time. The game grew exponentially in popularity and revenue and now the owners want more give backs?

The players were expecting this. Fehr has been in charge of the NHLPA long enough to get these guys to plan for a long lockout. I’m sure most everyone socked every last acorn away.

No way the season starts before January 1.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 09/11/12 at 11:57 AM ET

Hank1974's avatar

Paul, I think you’re right because the NHL will want that NBC 11/23 game to be on TV.

But I wouldn’t be shocked if we’re not playing until Dec 1 or beyond.

And like CaptainDennisPolonich said, I would be even less shocked if we lost another whole season.

Bring on the NBA and MLB playoffs!

Posted by Hank1974 on 09/11/12 at 12:03 PM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

I’m going with Dia de los Muertos, November 2nd.

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 09/11/12 at 12:20 PM ET

This time around, the players have an option to make a pretty penny in Russia.  I see the Winter Classic being the 1st game of the season.

Posted by Geno71 on 09/11/12 at 12:24 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I’m with Captain D, my gut tells me the season will be lost.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 09/11/12 at 12:33 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I’m with phillyd - Black Friday.  The season starts when national coverage does.

This gives both the NHL and NHLPA a way to say that they did EVERYTHING they could to get their way before ultimately giving in to a compromise.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 09/11/12 at 12:47 PM ET

red_wings_49's avatar

All I know is that if I’m not able to go to the Winter Classic this year, I’m going to be pissed.

Posted by red_wings_49 from Mad Heights, MI on 09/11/12 at 12:54 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

I’d guess they do like the NBA and start the season in the regular season marquee event, the Winter Classic.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 09/11/12 at 01:10 PM ET

calquake's avatar

I don’t care.

Posted by calquake on 09/11/12 at 02:24 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by red_wings_49 from Mad Heights, MI on 09/11/12 at 01:54 PM ET

I hear you, I was actually stoked for the ASG this year unlike other years, since it was going to be here in Columbus.  Most people here don’t know hockey and if they do, they usually only know the jackets and don’t follow the other teams.  I’m at a tactical advantage to papparazzi the shit out of these NHL stars.  I have my fingers crossed it’ll still happen.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 09/11/12 at 02:57 PM ET

yzer19man's avatar

unfortunately, Im thinking the first time we see NHL regular season hockey will be October 9, 2013

Posted by yzer19man from Chicago, IL on 09/11/12 at 03:06 PM ET

The season starts when national coverage does.

That’s a good point.  As much as people like to talk about the NHL getting the NBC money whether there is a season or not, you can bet that NBC will want to be paying for actual programming and you can also bet that the NHL doesn’t want the first year of this new deal to be a hockey-less year.  They’re going to want to stay on good terms with NBC.

Posted by Garth on 09/11/12 at 03:48 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

They’re going to want to stay on good terms with NBC.

They’ll just put Philly in another Winter Classic or 3.

I keeed I keeed

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 09/11/12 at 04:04 PM ET

THERE WILL BE NO LOCKOUT!

Posted by 13 user names on 09/11/12 at 04:35 PM ET