When Is The Last Time You Watched An NHL Game In Standard Definition?

For me, it was Calgary/Vancouver last night. Even though the game was broadcast in high definition by both teams, my only choice on DirecTV was the Vancouver feed in standard definition.

Yes I have heard all the reasons in the past, contract issue, bandwidth issue but whatever the issue is, isn't it time it is fixed?

2013 Folks, not 2003.

The game last night was not the only game I watched in SD this season and I am sure not the last.  But it gets frustrating knowing the game is in HD but for some reason, I am not getting it.

Filed in: NHL Talk, NHL Media, Hockey Broadcasting, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

You must not pay for Center Ice HD… Sounds like they want to help the fans make better choices when choosing Which Center ice they want to buy.

Posted by scubastevie on 01/24/13 at 01:22 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Nope, I pay for Center Ice every year for the past ten years. First on Comcast then switched to DirecTV about five years ago.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/24/13 at 01:24 PM ET

I know, the problem is, I think this would be a great way to increase revenue. Why not guarantee all HD games for more money? People would pay it.

Posted by scubastevie on 01/24/13 at 01:25 PM ET

Navarath's avatar

i’m stuck in the same boat Paul. I would buy the NHL centre ice package on the net, but i just don’t have enough bandwidth to watch games and not get the dreaded buffering

Posted by Navarath on 01/24/13 at 01:28 PM ET

awould's avatar

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Canadian home feed in HD on Center Ice.

Posted by awould on 01/24/13 at 01:40 PM ET

From another forum

‘Directv only has the agreement with SportsNet Ontario/ONE because of the MLB Extra Innings requirements to carry all team game broadcasts in HD.

Since Directv inked the contract to meet the MLB:EI requirements, NHL:CI gets the bonus of the Leafs games covered on SportsNet.

Unless the league requires it, I just don’t see Directv spending the significant dollars that would be required to ink a contract to cover the other Canadian networks.’

Posted by spiketoo on 01/24/13 at 01:42 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Thanks spiketoo and I knew there were contract issues. But isn’t it time they get resolved? As I mentioned in a tweet to a follower, can you imagine if the NFL or MLB showed a game in SD?

The time has come to get this resolved and the NHL itself should be at the forefront to make sure it happens.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/24/13 at 01:46 PM ET

I have Center Ice through Comcast and only get 1 or 2 games a night in HD…almost never the Red Wings feed.  To answer your question, I’m forced to watch most games in standard def.

Posted by swinkey on 01/24/13 at 01:53 PM ET

I was just happy to have the aspect ratio correct for Calgary-Vancouver last night. Other than that, the free preview games I’ve seen have been distorted in various ways, and I’ve been unable to figure out what settings to jigger on my HD TV to get them right. Either the “square” picture is stretched horizontally, making the players look far too wide (even taking the pads into account!), or it’s letterboxed the way it would be on a “square” TV as well as being enwidened (though it’s hard to tell for sure, given how much screen real estate is being lost to the letterboxing). I wasn’t planning on paying for Center Ice anyway this year, but if I had been this poor picture quality would be making me reconsider.

Posted by aqf on 01/24/13 at 01:55 PM ET

WolfKeeper's avatar

I dropped my subscription to Center Ice via Comcast—only two HD channels available. I switched to Gamecenter and it looks great via the XBox 360.

Posted by WolfKeeper on 01/24/13 at 01:57 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I was in the same situation as you, Paul.  I switched to DirecTV over the summer (1: Time Warner Cable sucks and 2: DirecTV has way more Center Ice HD).

I ended up watching Columbus/Phoenix over Vancouver/Calgary because one was in HD and the other wasn’t.  That was seriously the reason.  Obviously I’d watch any Wings game over any non-Wings game, but when it comes time to deciding other NHL games to watch, the availability of an HD feed often makes the decision for me.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/24/13 at 01:59 PM ET

DTV does have the most games in HD. Its only CDN-CDN feeds on Sportsnet. It almost always carries a TSN feed if available.  DTV carries most of the US RSNs that generally games so the channel is availabe to them. In some instaces (Dallas comes to mind) when the game is on alocal OTA channel, DTV also has said local in their current lineup.

You’re correct Paul its unreal in this day and age. MLB demands it in their carriage agreement with DTV. You know anyone in Content at NHL?

Posted by spiketoo on 01/24/13 at 02:02 PM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

I’ve had Comcast, RCN, Directv, TimeWarner and I have noticed a significant difference between the number of HD games.  Directv has way more HD offerings than cable.  To be honest, though, Gamecenter is really impressive.  I have CenterIce and Gamecenter, and I find myself using GC way more often.  Every game you can stream in HD (given that you have a good enough connection), and the functionality of it is pretty great as well. It auto bookmarks major events like goals and you can just click directly to them.  I’d say Gamecenter plus a solid internet connection plus a cable to connect your tv to comp is a great way to go.  It’s only 50 bucks for this season, and if you have a PS3/Xbox/iPad you can stream GC directly from those as well.

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 01/24/13 at 02:05 PM ET

Paul's avatar

I agree with everyone about DirecTV having the most HD, but as you know, some games, even though broadcast in HD are not on DirecTV.

It is time that they are, fans should not have to be having this discussion every year, hoping this is the year we all have HD available to us.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/24/13 at 02:13 PM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

This is true. I could never figure out why some games had an HD stream, some only had an SD stream, while others had both the home and away feed.  I think it is time that every game have two HD streams (one for each team’s native feed where applicable).

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 01/24/13 at 02:18 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

As a Comcast subscriber, this is the #1 reason I don’t have Center Ice.

On Tuesday night on Comcast, for example, there were 9 games on total. One - ONE - was shown in HD.

Posted by WolfKeeper on 01/24/13 at 01:57 PM ET

I’m seriously considering doing this.

Anyone else have any thoughts about Gamecenter via PS3/XBox?

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 01/24/13 at 02:43 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Anyone else have any thoughts about Gamecenter via PS3/XBox?

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 01/24/13 at 02:43 PM ET

PS3 app for this year isn’t out yet, but last year it was pretty good.

Haven’t tried the Xbox app yet, but I might do that tonight.

The versatility, as well as the “almost HD but miles better than SD” quality for the same price is reason enough if you have the available bandwidth.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 01/24/13 at 03:08 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Also, on a semi-related note, has anyone else noticed that the AHL Live package is a brain-melting $399?!

That’s absolutely ridiculous for amateur camera work from the in-house feed (in SD, no less) and the radio broadcast for play-by-play.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 01/24/13 at 03:12 PM ET

WolfKeeper's avatar

Probably economies of scale. Nowhere near the number of subscribers to the AHL package vs NHL.

I would have switched to DirecTV long ago just for more hockey in HD but Comcast in Chicago gives me 70+ Chicago Wolves games as well.

Posted by WolfKeeper on 01/24/13 at 03:25 PM ET

bell center ice in canada doest get the msg , msg+ HD feed which represents the rangers,devils,islanders,sabres regional sports feed or comcast philly,washington,sanjose regional sports HD feeds.

how is this not a HUGE conflict of interest is beyond me .

rangers owner Dolan owns t.v rights to sabres,isles,devils via his msg empire .

I’d be kinda pissed if I owned the devils/isles/sabres because dolan is limiting the number of HD games these teams out of market fans can see .

Posted by butch on 01/24/13 at 04:07 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

My comcast I get 2 channels of HD Hockey

Posted by Evilpens on 01/24/13 at 04:30 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by WolfKeeper on 01/24/13 at 03:25 PM ET

Granted, I don’t know a whole lot about business running, but wouldn’t you want to offer your product at a lower price to get people using it, then gradually increase the cost if necessary/desired?

Build your base first, THEN go for the money?

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 01/24/13 at 06:13 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

My TWC I get 1 channel usually 2 games, an early and a late game.

Some teams seem to have better SD than others as well.  As much as I like watching Calgary, well.. Iginla, I can’t stand Calgary’s broadcast quality.  It’s like I’m watching hazing red blobs.

I’m looking at leaving TWC but, CI isn’t offered by WOW anymore and that’s about the only other competition here. Was thinking about Direct TV but my Pop’s is always having issues in shitty weather and Ohio gets plenty of that.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 01/24/13 at 06:18 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 01/24/13 at 06:18 PM ET

Then Gamecenter Live might be for YOU

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 01/24/13 at 06:38 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Affraid of the buffering issue, already have issues with my Xbox live connection more than I’d like

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 01/24/13 at 07:42 PM ET

Then Gamecenter Live might be for YOU

Unless you have a PS3.  God forbid the app be ready by the time the season starts, three months late…

Posted by Garth on 01/24/13 at 09:03 PM ET

13datsyukfan13's avatar

I have Charter cable here in Michigan so I will get most of the Red Wings games on Fox Sports Detroit in HD and the rest should be on NBC, also in HD. (Admittedly I haven’t looked at the broadcast schedule)  Charter isn’t giving us the Center Ice free preview so I ordered it for $49.95.  I don’t get any Center Ice channels in HD that I know of and I may take advantage of the 30 day cancellation opportunity..  Also, the NHL Network is only in SD and I don’‘t know if it’s Charter being cheap or if it just isn’t available in HD

ME