When I Say ‘NHL’, What’s The First Thing That Comes To Your Mind?

Answer the question then read this by Barry Petchesky of Deadspin,

You're going to hear a lot about "shared sacrifice" from the NHL in the days and weeks to come. That's the word from inside a secret emergency PR focus group, in which a top Republican Party strategist tested pro-ownership messages on a captive audience of hockey fans. One of those fans shared the documents with us, for a sneak preview of the propaganda campaign the NHL will be unloading on the public as the lockout drags on. Here's a look at the bullshit on the menu before the league serves it to you.

continued

Filed in: NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

gowings's avatar

I am confused. Didn’t Gary say we are the “best fans in sports” and that we would come back to the game? So what kind of ploy is this? Why would you care so much about what we think if you are sure we are all going to come back? Why even bother with your image now?

Posted by gowings from MTL on 10/15/12 at 05:13 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

“It’s not what you say, it’s what they hear.”

It’s true, but it hurts if they hear you say it.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/15/12 at 05:19 PM ET

not surprising.

Posted by bsalamon on 10/15/12 at 05:26 PM ET

LivinLaVidaLockout's avatar

First thing I think of? The “No Hockey League”

Posted by LivinLaVidaLockout on 10/15/12 at 06:03 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Detroit Red Wings.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 10/15/12 at 06:23 PM ET

UMFan's avatar

What comes to my mind? A great sport with a plethora of dysfunctional people in charge.

Posted by UMFan from Denver, Colorado on 10/15/12 at 07:59 PM ET

What comes to my mind?  The worst PR disaster in modern sports history!

Posted by FlyersFan on 10/15/12 at 09:02 PM ET

pautna's avatar

Impotence…

Posted by pautna on 10/15/12 at 10:06 PM ET

Why a business starting to get some traction shuts down.  Terrible business acumen.

Posted by 13 user names on 10/15/12 at 10:13 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Paul, I think you added a “w” to the author’s last name, just an FYI. Not trying to nit-pick on typos at all, but I know you like to give credit to the sources so figured you’d want to know…

On the article itself, I’m not really surprised. The league probably does this stuff all the time, even during the middle of the last CBA when everyone was fairly fat and happy. It’s just market research. I might be on the side of the players, but I will say, it would be kind of stupid for the NHL not to be doing something like this, wouldn’t it? Obviously, it would be better for the two sides to actually work on real compromise, but I’m just saying, given that this isn’t happening, it is in the league’s best interest to work with a firm that can help them shape public perception, otherwise, what’s the endgame for the league in this whole thing?

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 10/16/12 at 09:19 AM ET