What’s Next For ‘The Perfect Human’?

from James Mirtle of the Globe and Mail,

Rumours of retirement are being whispered in the halls of Joe Louis Arena, what with the Detroit Red Wings captain turning 40 next Wednesday – just a day after a potential Game 7 in Phoenix, should the series go the distance.

With Lidstrom’s contract expiring this summer and the series tied 2-2, his final NHL appearance could even come this weekend if Phoenix takes the next two games.

Not that anyone’s betting on it.

“It’s going to come sooner or later,” Lidstrom said, chuckling at all the attention his milestone birthday is getting of late. “I’m getting up there in age, people are watching me closely and think something’s going to happen, but … nothing’s really changed. I know what I have to do. I feel the same out there.”

He also, incredibly, still looks very much like the same player – even 19 years on in a career regarded as one of the best in history for a blueliner.

read on

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: nick+lidstrom

Comments

Haven’t you heard, 40 is the new 30.

Posted by mc keeper on 04/22/10 at 03:06 AM ET

Gabriel's avatar

That’s odd…I don’t remember being covered in my own vomit before I read that article.  Huh.

Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 04/22/10 at 03:21 AM ET

Did anyone else just have a panic attack?

Posted by Tim from Philly (By way of Michigan) on 04/22/10 at 10:57 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

What’s next? Game 5.
Worry about this when the season is done.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 04/22/10 at 10:59 AM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

“. . . when Lidstrom was on the ice at even strength, Detroit outscored its opponent this season at a rate of 2.96 goals a game to 2.24.

When he wasn’t on the ice, the Wings were outscored 2.44 to 1.90.

No wonder Holland, half-jokingly, suggests that he will step down when the Lizard King retires.  To borrow a Panger - - Holy Jumpin.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/22/10 at 11:33 AM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

C’mon Nick, just 1.. er.. 2… er… 3 more years.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 04/22/10 at 03:31 PM ET