What Will Nashville Do?

from Darren Dreger of TSN,

By virtue of signing a 14-year, $110 million dollar offer sheet with the Philadelphia Flyers, restricted free agent Shea Weber has made it clear he wants out of Nashville….

Now the Predators are faced with a huge financial gamble.

With the threat of a work stoppage looming, Weber will collect a minimum of $26 million in the next 11 months. That’s a staggering amount of money for any team to absorb with so much uncertainty. But for the Predators - largely a budget-tight team – that hit them both in the short-term and long-term,

That said, this deal might not make sense.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Nashville Predators, Philadelphia Flyers, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: shea+weber

Comments

Let Weber go, sign Bobby Ryan. Gather draft picks. Then throw an offer sheet at Giroux or Coots in 2014.

Posted by Rusty Shackleford from Bowling Green Ky on 07/19/12 at 06:06 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

restricted free agent Shea Weber has made it clear he wants out of Nashville….

Hey, Garth.  This bug you?

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 07/19/12 at 06:52 PM ET

There are four billionaires of nine investors on that Preds governing body; they can spread the friggin’ cost around.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 07/19/12 at 07:48 PM ET

Hey, Garth.  This bug you?

Yes.  The fact that someone disagrees with me really bugs me.

Not nearly as much as my opinion bugs you though, obviously.

Posted by Garth on 07/19/12 at 08:02 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Hey, Garth.  This bug you?

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 07/19/12 at 05:52 PM ET

It should, because even if Weber does want out, there’s nothing that logically indicates that is the case. As a RFA likely looking at his only opportunity to cash in this big in his career with the looming CBA changes, even if he wants to stay in Nashville, this is crazy money he cannot pass up.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 07/19/12 at 08:04 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Exactly. Weber may not want out. He’s just like any other person—he just wants to get paid. If he wanted out, he’d have signed a one year deal and that would have been the end of it.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 07/19/12 at 09:34 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Not nearly as much as my opinion bugs you though, obviously.

Posted by Garth on 07/19/12 at 07:02 PM ET

Sorry man, I’m not disagreeing.  I just had to laugh, cause you patiently pointed out the obvious in like 4 posts, and then Dreger comes along with his head up his ass saying the same crap.  Gold.  I thought you were about to unload on him.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 07/19/12 at 10:17 PM ET

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 07/19/12 at 09:17 PM ET

Man, I’m so thick, I thought you were trying to bait me, and I was definitely going to take it…

Posted by Garth on 07/19/12 at 10:22 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Hmm….well, I have before.  So I guess that’s fair ball.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 07/19/12 at 10:30 PM ET

Hah, fair enough.

Posted by Garth on 07/19/12 at 10:52 PM ET

If he wants out then why sign offer sheet?  If Nashville matches he’s stuck there.  Philly never wins pulling these stunts.  Nashville should let him go, but see if they can squeeze something else out of Philly.

Posted by 13 user names on 07/19/12 at 11:48 PM ET