What Will Iginla Do?

from Lyle Richardson at The Hockey News,

Team president Ken King and GM Jay Feaster deny they’ll shop Iginla, so if he’s to be dealt, he’ll have to make the trade request himself. But if Iginla doesn’t want a blemish on his good name, it’ll take King and Feaster to ask him to accept a trade.

When trade rumors linking Iginla to the L.A. Kings and Pittsburgh Penguins popped up last season, he claimed he didn’t want to be traded, adding he would only consider waiving his clause if management asked him – and then only if the return would provide immediate help for the Flames.

Neither side wants to be seen as the bad guy and as long as each waits for the other to make the first move, nothing will happen until his contract expires.

That could change later in the season, but even if Iginla agrees to be dealt, finding a Cup contender won’t be easy because of his $7-million cap hit for this season and next.

As talented and respected as Iginla is, none of the current contenders – the Philadelphia Flyers, Washington Capitals, L.A. Kings, Pittsburgh Penguins, San Jose Sharks, Vancouver Canucks and the defending champion Boston Bruins – has the cap space to comfortably absorb his salary.

more and I know of one Cup contender that does have cap room…

Filed in: NHL Teams, Calgary Flames, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: jarome+iginla

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Ericsson might have value, but only if another,better player is part of the package, meaning a scoring forward, because that’s something the Flames desperately need is offense.

Posted by Lyle Richardson on 11/28/11 at 03:43 PM ET

While you’re right,one of your questions was about how to make space. Simply moving Ericsson would give the Wings all the cap space they need to fit Iginla on their roster while also retaining a little bit of room for callups/whatnot.

You move Ericsson’s cap hit down from $3.25M to the $875K replacement that comes up (to take his spot when he’s gone) and you’ve got $2.38 cap space left over.

That doesn’t even take into consideration the roughly $6-750K that also falls off their roster to make roster room for Iginla’s contract.

The $1.5M is not a difficult amount to clear.

The difficulty lies in offering the right mix of players.  I personally don’t want the Wings to give up that kind of assets that you reference in the first part of your question.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/28/11 at 07:41 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

There’s one reason I would like to get Iginla.  Well’ two actually.

The “old” guy has a thirst for the Cup.  During the Wings past four cup runs they’ve always had this guy.  A guy who trudges along with mediocre teams his entire career to finally play in the promised land for that final chance at what he worked his entire career for.  If he can bring the cup back to its rightful home…  Tick tock, Kenny.

I think Ryan Lambert would have an aneurism.  That can only be a good thing for the hockey community in general.  Wing fans in particular.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 11/28/11 at 07:46 PM ET

BrendonR's avatar

Lyle,

Fair enough and I’ll clarify that I don’t think this deal makes sense for the Wings, but I don’t see how one to two established NHLers would be required in the deal - to complement what core?  Half the core just went the other way.  If the Flames ship out Iggy they would be in full-on rebuild mode, burning it to the ground (no pun intended) and would be looking to acquire prospects and picks, ala their neighbours in EDM while tanking to get lottery picks for their own spots at the draft.

The Wings are loaded with skilled prospects (and no I wouldn’t, personally, want to see any of them go):  Nyquist, Tatar, Jarnkrok, Pulkkinen, Jurco, and the list goes on.  Most NHL fans aren’t aware of the growing talent pool in Detroit’s system, but I’m sure the scouts in Calgary do.

Posted by BrendonR on 11/28/11 at 08:11 PM ET

BrendonR's avatar

Sorry, that should read ‘the scouts in Calgary are’.  I’ll also add that Iginla himself wasn’t an established NHLer when he was sent to Calgary in the Nieuwendyk deal.

Posted by BrendonR on 11/28/11 at 08:16 PM ET

Lyle Richardson's avatar

The Flames would want more than prospects for Iginla, plain and simple. You’d certainly have to include a salary going the other way to clear sufficient cap space to take him on, and they won’t want a marginal, cheap player just to help the Wings clear cap space. They’ll want one or two good, established young players, not just prospects and picks. Feaster would want a return that helps right away, as well as for the future.

Posted by Lyle Richardson on 11/28/11 at 08:17 PM ET

BrendonR's avatar

Posted by Lyle Richardson on 11/28/11 at 05:17 PM ET

Filppula + Abdelkader +  Ericsson + Emmerton + Tomas Tatar + Landon Ferraro + First and Second Rounders next year for Iginla

Again, I wouldn’t want to make this deal (and would prefer to see Hudler in there somewhere), but I think Kenny has the chips to make it happen if he really wanted to.

Posted by BrendonR on 11/28/11 at 08:29 PM ET

Chet's avatar

for those of you thinking you’d love to have iginla or nash, ask yourself if either is worth two first-rounders plus a likely combo of helm/filppula or abby/nyquist—if not better forwards. this would literally be mortgaging the future on two guys who, while talented and probably motivated to get out of their situations and start winning, haven’t done a whole lot of that so far. their cap hits alone (nash’s until 2018!) are enough to make me say, “not interested!”

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 11/28/11 at 08:56 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I like how you switched the convo from how you snubbed Detroit as cup contenders to Detroit wont trade for Iginla.. of course, we all agree, p robably wont happen unless it’s a sweetheart deal.. what we don’t agree on is the fact you think DRW’s are suspect because of spotty losing streaks, but most teams you mentioned as contenders have had the same and worse issues.  Why do you think Detroit has something extra to prove?  Are you on the too old bandwagon?

And as for the poster who mentioned having “that guy” who was hungry for the cup.. hands down right.  Drake really fueled that locker room on the way to that cup and the guys really rallied around him.. not unlike Recci’s effect in Boston…  I hope we get “that guy” at the deadline… or Parise

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 11/28/11 at 08:57 PM ET

Chet's avatar

good god. who cares that the guy snubbed detroit as a cup contender? get over it already!

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 11/28/11 at 10:09 PM ET

Garth, Eaves and Mursak won’t stay on LTIR forever.

Yeah, see, that’s why you should read past the comma.  The sentence goes beyond it.

You’re also assuming the Flames want to move Iginla right now.

YOU are the one saying that Detroit doesn’t have the cap space right now.

How many times are you going to change the argument?

First Detroit wasn’t a contender.

Then they didn’t have the cap space to fit him in now.

Then Calgary doesn’t want to trade him now.

What’s it going to be when that theory has holes shot in it?  Iginla told you personally that he hates Detroit?

Posted by Garth on 11/28/11 at 10:22 PM ET

You’re fired.

Posted by Garth on 11/28/11 at 10:25 PM ET

Chet's avatar

nevermind if detroit is a cup contender according to lyle or not—it’s one guy’s opinion and you can accept or reject it. no need to take it personally and i don’t care. it’s too damn soon to tell, but we’re at least a solid playoff team. the rest will take care of itself.

that aside, i cannot come up with any plausible situation wherein the team is helped long term by picking up either iggy or nash’s salary vs. what they’d have to give up in trade. i wouldn’t cry about losing 52, 26, or even 48, but these are not the kind of players CGY or CBJ will be asking for in any trade, so it’s irrelevant.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 11/28/11 at 10:27 PM ET

BrendonR's avatar

Garth, if you’re trying to make an agrument that trading for Iginla is at a minimum feasible, even though neither of us is keen to get him, then I’m interested in seeing what you think the Wings could offer that doesn’t include Mule, Helm, Kronner or Smith (obviously not even including Pav, Z, Nick or Jimmy as options).

Posted by BrendonR on 11/28/11 at 10:59 PM ET

Chet's avatar

that’s a very good point. we basically could not get rid of only spare parts and useless picks. too costly.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 11/28/11 at 11:06 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

If I’m Calgary, any NHL players I get back I’m gonna want more than just the remainder of the year. Cap coming back is less of an issue, and if it’s gonna be a rebuild, then cheaper is clearly preferable.  I don’t think Detroit is interested in moving Filppula, or Helm (at least not for an Iginla), so I’ll scratch them off of the realistic trade options. I think Brendand Smith and Nyquist also are off the table.

I’d start by asking for Kindl. I’d also try to get Mursak,  maybe Emmerton, Eaves or Miller. Then ask for an NHL ready prospect like Tatar, a low celing guy like Louis-Marc Aubry/Brent Raedeke and a 2nd round pick. I might accept Ericsson (IF he’d allow that trade, thanks modified NMC) instead of Kindl, but would want more developed prospects with him for some insurance and cap compensation. Maybe Tatar and Landon Ferrero or Riely Sheahan, and at least one 2nd round pick.

This is me spit-balling with no in-depth knowledge of the Flames organization beyond what I know of the rostered players and what I can learn on Capgeek, but it feels like a good start. That said, I’m not a fan of the acquisition from a Wings perspective, because$7M freezes too much of our flexibility in the off-season.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 11/29/11 at 12:28 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

sorry Chet, I never wasn’t over it, but I also enjoy a good dialouge and I found that my opinion varied.. and if Lyle wasn’t so aggressive in his assertion all his opinions are right, I wouldn’t have said anything.  In my post I was just pointing out inconsistancies in his arguement…. to me, it makes a difference if I want to keep reading his blog, which is pretty much ALL his opinion.  This is what he does for a living and I’m sure he’s a big boy and can handle talking with other grown men Chet

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 11/29/11 at 12:41 AM ET

i don’t care.

Yeah, we get it.  Four straight posts about you not caring.  Doesn’t mean the rest of us can’t discuss it.

I’d start with something similar to what Hossa commanded from Pittsburgh and what Kovalchuk commanded from NJ.  Each of those guys went (along with another roster player) to their new team for two roster players (one of whom was at the end of a contract, so we can assume that was in order for the new team to relieve a bit of the cap hit coming in), a prospect and a first rounder.  Obviously the situation is different though because Hossa and Kovalchuk were on expiring contracts while Iginla has a year left on his, and they were 29 and 27 respectively while Iginla is 34.  While you could expect a team to have to give up more because Iginla isn’t simply a rental, his age and the fact that his cap hit will be pretty hefty next year might cancel that out.  Maybe Calgary squeezes another pick or possibly another prospect out of any suitor, but any of those suitors would balk at another roster player because they want Iginla in order to get better now and depleting their roster of NHL players isn’t going to help.  And besides, Calgary wants picks and young players because they’re looking at what’s happening right now in Edmonton (and what happened a couple years ago in Chicago) and wondering why they aren’t there too.

Cripes, I can’t believe I’ve put this much thought into it.  I’m not even overly keen on the idea of getting him at that cap hit.  I think I’d prefer it if he was just a rental.

Posted by Garth on 11/29/11 at 01:26 AM ET

John W.'s avatar

I think I’d prefer it if he was just a rental.

Yep, like I said before, I don’t want him and his salary past this year, either.  I’d rather rent Semin for the rest of the year.  And yes, I know he’s lazy and blah blah blah, but on Pavel’s wing I think he’d be pretty awesome.  He just needs a decent center to play with (the guy was money playing with Backstrom, which he hasn’t been doing the past 2 seasons).  Parise is still my dream player long term, however.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 11/29/11 at 02:03 AM ET