What Will Iginla Do?

from Lyle Richardson at The Hockey News,

Team president Ken King and GM Jay Feaster deny they’ll shop Iginla, so if he’s to be dealt, he’ll have to make the trade request himself. But if Iginla doesn’t want a blemish on his good name, it’ll take King and Feaster to ask him to accept a trade.

When trade rumors linking Iginla to the L.A. Kings and Pittsburgh Penguins popped up last season, he claimed he didn’t want to be traded, adding he would only consider waiving his clause if management asked him – and then only if the return would provide immediate help for the Flames.

Neither side wants to be seen as the bad guy and as long as each waits for the other to make the first move, nothing will happen until his contract expires.

That could change later in the season, but even if Iginla agrees to be dealt, finding a Cup contender won’t be easy because of his $7-million cap hit for this season and next.

As talented and respected as Iginla is, none of the current contenders – the Philadelphia Flyers, Washington Capitals, L.A. Kings, Pittsburgh Penguins, San Jose Sharks, Vancouver Canucks and the defending champion Boston Bruins – has the cap space to comfortably absorb his salary.

more and I know of one Cup contender that does have cap room…

Filed in: NHL Teams, Calgary Flames, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: jarome+iginla

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

IwoCPO's avatar

I know of one Cup contender that does have cap room…

Colorado?

Haaaaa…I’m sorry. But that was funny.

Tick Tock Kenny

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 11/28/11 at 01:55 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

I don’t see it happening, but…..as Artie Johnson on Laugh Inn used to say…..“very interesting ???”

Posted by Down River Dan on 11/28/11 at 02:06 PM ET

Paul's avatar

I used that line once DRD and the response was Artie who?

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/28/11 at 02:07 PM ET

BrendonR's avatar

And the Wings continue to fly under the radar.  Three points out of first overall, with two games in hand, and…..not contenders?  Well done as usual THN.

Also, as much as I’m a fan of Iggy, I’m not sure he’s what the Wings need right now.  If they’re going to use up that cap space it should be for a longer-term, younger investment (damn you Curtis Sanford….we need Nash to request a trade!).  $7 mill over two years is pricey no matter how you look at it.  Still, I think people are quick to forget Iggy put up 43 goals last year.  But the Wings have enough people in their 30s.

Posted by BrendonR on 11/28/11 at 02:23 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

I know of one Cup contender that does have cap room…

I found it interesting that that was the one team not mentioned in the article.
As with most, what is not said is more interesting than what is.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 11/28/11 at 02:25 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

More intriguing could the potential shake-up from ANA.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 11/28/11 at 02:27 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Nash is the most overpaid 70 point player out there.. isn’t his cap hit like 7.8m? for the next 15 years of something?

He doesn’t like training either, just drinking and hanging out..

I think the part about the Ducks trading Getzlef or Ryan is much more unrealistically realistic.  Ryan could be a great pick-up…

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 11/28/11 at 02:30 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

But the Wings have enough people in their 30s.
Posted by BrendonR from Toronto,

That is why guys like Mark Howe, Luc Robitaille, Brett Hull, Larry Murphy, Dominic Hasek never really helped the team.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 11/28/11 at 02:31 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

I actually like the fact that none of these articles mention the Wings. I would rather them fly under the radar all season. Let the media “fluff” all these other teams all year (Pittsburgh, anyone?) and Detroit will just handle their business quietly and calmly like always. Then come trade deadline time they’ll get what they need with all the cap space they have and come playoff time they’ll be ready to take names.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 11/28/11 at 02:31 PM ET

Chet's avatar

let’s not make everything about the wings, eh?

iginla’s a class player who deserves better than to rot in CGY through his last useful years.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 11/28/11 at 02:38 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

let’s not make everything about the wings, eh?

Ok.

Iginla would look good on a second line with Franzen and Fil.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 11/28/11 at 02:40 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

“let’s not make everything about the wings, eh?”

Looks like someone is a little lost.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 11/28/11 at 02:42 PM ET

Good to know the Hawks and Wings aren’t contenders. I guess I can stop watching the games now…

Why even bother to list the “contenders”? Why not just say few if any “contenders” have cap space? Such a small part of the article brings up a whole different discussion. It switched the debate from “will Iginla leave?” to “how did this guy come up with his list of cup contenders?” I wonder if he left teams out just to prove his point that it would be hard to get traded to a contender? Both the Hawks and Wings have enough cap room with a trade to make that happen. (hawks have 5.5+ and wings 6+)

With that said, what team wouldn’t love to have Iginla? As an opposing player I have always found him annoying, he always seems to act like a tough guy and then let the linesmen get in the way. Not to say he isn’t tough, he can handle himself, but he always pissed me off. But hell, I would love to have him on the hawks, but that price tag is awfully high.

Posted by pstumba on 11/28/11 at 02:44 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

If Iginla were to come here, who goes the other way?

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 11/28/11 at 02:49 PM ET

BrendonR's avatar

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 11/28/11 at 12:30 PM ET

He could be so much more in Detroit - remember that everything he’s done so far in the league has been in Columbus, with no one to play with.  And I think being brought into the Wings organization would have an effect on his training habits since he’d actually have something to work for, say…..an actual chance at success?

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 11/28/11 at 12:31 PM ET

Just because it worked before doesn’t mean Kenny needs to take that road again.  The NHL is a different beast now compared to 2002….and Dom is just a freak of nature.  Iggy’s cap hit being at $7 mill when he’s over 30, to me, needs to be considered there.

Posted by BrendonR on 11/28/11 at 02:53 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I’ll say it first:

I, as a Wings fan, would *not* want Iginla.

At this point in his career he is VASTLY overrated.  The only reason he continues to get numbers is because SOMEONE in CGY has to get them (call it the Ray Whitney Rule, someone has to get some points on ANY given team, this is how Whitney has built his entire career basically by largely going to teams that are complete failures to help keep his numbers up).

I really don’t know what Iginla would bring to the table at this point, and you’d have to give up way too much going the other way.

Steer clear, Kenny… steer clear.  Let someone else make that deal and get fleeced.  Or let TOR, make it and fleece BOTH sides…

Posted by Primis on 11/28/11 at 02:56 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

If this was the last year of Iggy’s contract, I’d say go for it, but with another year at $7M I hope the Wings stay away from this.  I think there will be better, long term options out there via either trade of FA next summer.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 11/28/11 at 03:14 PM ET

I’ll admit the prospect of Iginla - a bruising power forward who can score goals - is intriguing and I think Iginla’s experience with Uncle Mike from the Canadian National and Olympic Teams goes in his favor.  Uncle Mike used him very effectively.

I like it but I ain’t gonna hold my breath.

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 11/28/11 at 03:14 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

BrandonR

Maybe, but he’s really not the type of top 6 forward we’d be looking for and that cap his a liability.  First babs said they want a power-forward.. I live in columbus now and I’ve seen Nash play tons.. Franzen plays a more physical game than Nash… I’m not about jamming a square peg into a round hole.  The price for Nash would be way too much for my liking since Cbus needs to “win now”

And Kenny Holland appropriates money to d first.  Nash would get paid 5m on detroit for his stats, not 8.  Big money goes to the most important players and those tend to be D.  If we were going to overpay for anything, it’d be defense.  and certainly not by 60%.

I think you’re gonna have to put your Red Wing Nash wet dream into the spank bank my friend.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 11/28/11 at 03:18 PM ET

Lyle Richardson's avatar

As the author of the article, allow me to explain why I didn’t include the Red Wings.

First, GM Ken Holland has ruled out making any early season trades, and while it’s possible he could make a deal by the trade deadline, his club has had an “up-and-down” season thus far.

We don’t know at this point if the “real Wings” are the ones which started strong this season and currently have five straight wins under their belts, or the ones which floundered through late-October and early November, which as I recall, generated consider wailing and gnashing of teeth among the Wings faithful, even raising the opinion Mike Babcock had (gasp!) lost the room.

If Holland makes a deadline deal, it’ll obviously depend on how his team is performing by then. Looking at their recent trade history since the lockout, Holland hasn’t made blockbuster trades near the deadline, largely because of the salary cap. I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

And if the Wings are back in Cup contention by then, why would Holland risk jeopardizing team chemistry with such a major move?

The Red Wings presently have just over $6 million in projected space. Iginla is worth $7 million this season, and next. That means someone has to go to make the deal work. And please, spare me the assumption the Flames will accept castoffs, as Hudler will be, or inconsistent performers, like Filppula. It’s the Jay Feaster show in Calgary now, not the Darryl Sutter panic hour, so no one-side robbery deals there.

If, and it’s a big “if”, Iginla agrees to be dealt, and it’s to the Wings, the Flames want a quality return, meaning at least one or two good young players, and at least a top prospect and a first round pick. Looking at the current Wings roster, there’s precious few good young players on the roster. Most of their twenty-somethings are checking forwards or second-pairing defensemen. Their best 20-something is goalie Jimmy Howard, and they certainly won’t part with him.

Not snubbing your team, Red Wings fans, and no offense was intended. Give the Wings inconsistent first quarter, I need to see a better performance in the next 20 games to consider them among the Cup contenders this season. Simple as that.

You can put out your torchlights and put away your pitchforks now… wink

Posted by Lyle Richardson on 11/28/11 at 03:19 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

And this pisses me off. I’m pretty sure the Hawks still have a netminder over in Europe that should be counting against their cap.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 11/28/11 at 03:24 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

And they have tons of it this year so really it has every reason to change…  If you look actually, any year they’ve had cap space they’ve added a piece at the deadline, the last of which being Stuart before winning the cup…. just saying, I respect your opinion but I think your logic is flawed.. but still right, they wont end up with iggy, because of his contract price for next year..

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 11/28/11 at 03:27 PM ET

And Nash’s cap hit will be $7.8 until he’s 34 or 35, so what’s the difference?  Iginla would only be on the books for one full season.

Not snubbing your team, Red Wings fans, and no offense was intended.

I don’t believe you intended any offense, but most of the reasons you listed for not including them have nothing to do with cap space.  And to say that the Wings “only” have $6M in cap space is a cop out.  Obviously the Flames are going to expect roster players in return, and nobody would expect the Wings to not give up salary in return.  Nowadays almost any trade is going to include salary going both ways.

I also don’t buy the “we don’t know which Wings will show up” argument because that counts for any team.  You included Washington, Vancouver and Boston in the list of contenders but not Detroit or Chicago.  Why don’t those teams’ suspect starts to the season eliminate them from being contenders?

Which Capitals are going to show up in the playoffs?  Will the Canucks even make the playoffs?  Is Boston’s recent winning streak a fluke?  Before their winning streak they were 3-7 to start the season.

Fine, but he also specifically said this past summer that he’s going to have a lot of cap space to work with if trades come up and that he won’t be afraid to use up that space to better the team.

Posted by Garth on 11/28/11 at 03:33 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

As a wings fan, I didn’t want Bertuzzi either. I’ll yield to tick-tock. I’ve proven I’m no GM.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 11/28/11 at 03:34 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

“I’m pretty sure the Hawks still have a netminder over in Europe that should be counting against their cap”

This.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 11/28/11 at 03:40 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

And if the Wings are back in Cup contention by then.....  rolleyes

Hmmm I didn’t realize that the Wings were ever out of “Cup Contention”???

At the 1/4 pole they are once again on pace for 100 + points. ( much like every other team in the league thanks to socialized Hockey…thanks gary).

Posted by Down River Dan on 11/28/11 at 03:42 PM ET

BrendonR's avatar

Posted by Garth on 11/28/11 at 01:33 PM ET

True but we’d have Nash for 7 years until he reached that age.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 11/28/11 at 01:18 PM ET

I can dream!  Seriously though, I’m not sure who else is out there that would fit the bill, unless it’s a Parise-level pick up.  Though I’m sure we’d all be happy to grab Weber.  All I know is I have no desire to see Kenny pick up any of the under-achieving Ducks.

Posted by BrendonR on 11/28/11 at 03:48 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

What exactly has been the difference between the Wings “inconsistent first quarter” and the first quarters of the Caps, Canucks, Flyers, Kings, and Bruins, who you do consider contenders?  Caps started out on fire, and have since fallen into despair and fired their coach, the Canucks don’t know who their goalie is and have yet to show they are even a playoff team yet, ditto with the Flyers and their goaltending.  Quick and the Kings has been pretty average since that 3 straight shutout performance, and the Bruins were in last place a few weeks ago.  But yeah, the Wings are the only team to have ups-and-downs.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 11/28/11 at 03:58 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Lyle, the talent really hasn’t changed, so I think it is more reasonable to assume the Wings are still a legitimate contender for the West. As always, barring injuries.

And you are vastly underrating Filppula—he is finally reaching toward his offensive potential, and it has been too long in the making, but his defensive play has always been vastly underrated. He is overshadowed in that regard by #13 and #40, but watch him game in and game out and he’s deserving of being considered at their level. Re-watch the ‘08 Cup final series for evidence. I’m not saying Filppula is of equal value to Iginla. I think the thing that hurts his value on the market is that he’s a guy that came through the Wings system and appears to be a player who is worth a lot as a Wing but can he be worth that much somewhere else? There is something to be said for the organizational structure and its impact on players.

I agree with your original point. I really don’t think the Wings should or will go after Iginla. They just don’t have enough of what the Flames need to make the deal. The Wings as an entire organization are at a point where they are transitioning between waves of prospects, and right now, all the prospects are still very young. Guys like Tatar, Jurco, and Nyquist have lots of talent and skill. But it doesn’t look like the Flames want to go into full-on rebuild mode, and the Wings also don’t want to have to give up what would probably end up being a pair of their best talents in waiting.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 11/28/11 at 04:18 PM ET

Lyle Richardson's avatar

What’s being overlooked in your critiques, which I’ve yet to see anyone sufficiently address,  are two simple points: How would the Red Wings go about clearing at least $1.5 million of additional cap space to comfortably add Iginla and still leave sufficient cap space for any potential late-season call-ups after the trade deadline and before the playoffs? And what players could the Red Wings could offer up which would interest the Flames into parting with Iginla? And I mean serious offers, not castoffs like Jiri Hudler, or fourth line checkers, third pairing defensemen or backup goalies.

Posted by Lyle Richardson on 11/28/11 at 04:20 PM ET

@mrfluffy

hey now, we are trying to get Tallon to take him back…its the one shitty contract he doesn’t seem to want, I don’t get it!

and that rule applies to everyone, so its not like the hawks are getting a special exception.

I do think it sucks for Huet though, no doubt about that. I’m sure this hole will be plugged in the next CBA.

Posted by pstumba on 11/28/11 at 04:21 PM ET

Lyle,

If you argument is that the wings won’t go after Iginla fine, but that is not the point the people here are making. The point is that you made a statement that listed who you though were cup contenders and said they didn’t have cap space. So you seem to be saying on this board that the wings also fit the category of contenders with no cap space for Iginla.

I won’t waste my breath arguing for the hawks, as the wings fans could care less, but given the list that you provided and the reasons you are giving on here, I would say you skipped out on naming two teams that would easily fall into the contender category.

Is it nit picky? yes, but the whole statement took away from your article. You could make the blanket statement without mentioning specifics. Instead of thinking about Iginla now people are thinking, why doesnt he think this team is a contender?

Posted by pstumba on 11/28/11 at 04:31 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Spector’s got a point though.

Are we willing to throw guys like Brendan Smith, Tomas Tatar, Gustav Nyquist, and at least one first round pick Calgary’s way to get back a 34-year old on a deal which overpays him?

Is Feaster that panicked or are we talking about moving Franzen in favor of Iginla, so we get older and the regular season numbers get a lot more consistent?

There’s not a sensible trade that involves bringing Iginla to the Wings.  We’d need Feaster to go crazy to make me happy for a trade that involves getting Iginla.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/28/11 at 04:39 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

“and that rule applies to everyone, so its not like the hawks are getting a special exception”

This is true. The Rangers have done the same thing with Redden, which is also bullshit. I believe the point was that the rule is stupid.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 11/28/11 at 04:42 PM ET

That’s seriously the reason the Wings don’t count as contenders with cap space?  It’s not exactly difficult to get rid of $1.5M dollars.  Some, if not all, would be included in any trade -if Detroit were to offer picks and/or prospects to the Flames it wouldn’t be unheard of for them to also have the Flames take back some short-term salary in return- and it’s entirely possible that other moves would be made too.  If they made the deal now, having Mursak and Eaves on LTIR would take care of that amazing, near-insurmountable $1.5M mountain for the short term, in which the Wings could somehow, possibly find some way to make a trade or something to make some room.

True but we’d have Nash for 7 years until he reached that age.

I’d rather have Iginla for one and a half years than Nash at whatever, for that price.  I’m not too keen on having a one-note player who is lazy, riding a long-term contract with no reason to try to step up his game.

And also, is there any way the BJ’s trade Nash to a division rival?

I can’t say I’m in favour of getting either Nash or Iginla, but Iginla’s one remaining year on his contract is a lot less worrying to me than Nash’s remainder.

Posted by Garth on 11/28/11 at 05:12 PM ET

Lyle Richardson's avatar

Garth, Eaves and Mursak won’t stay on LTIR forever.Eaves could be back by mid-January. You’re also assuming the Flames want to move Iginla right now. They don’t. If they were to shop him, and that’s a big “if”, it’ll be closer to the trade deadline.

So far, you haven’t answer my question. Which players should they offer? Which prospects? Iginla’s bound to cost at least one-two good young players, plus one or two top prospects. So, who do the Wings offer to pry Iggy out of Calgary by the trade deadline?

Posted by Lyle Richardson on 11/28/11 at 05:27 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Lyle…

If the Wings flipped Hudler and Ericsson for Iginla, that’d be $6m in cap space *going the other way*.  One or the other would be $3m.  At least one of those 2 would have to go to CGY in a deal, obviously…  I don’t know the package, but you know darn well one of those 2 would be in any package.  And who knows, maybe CGY would be dumb enough to take both.

My argument against getting Iginla aside, I don’t get how you think Detroit is restrained by the cap somehow…  to get Iginla DET would have to move assets obviously.  Those assets would undoubtedly clear a lot more than required for Iginla.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 11/28/11 at 01:34 PM ET

As a Wings fan I STILL don’t want Bertuzzi.

I remain skeptical.

I also didn’t give Ericsson $3m/yr soooo….

Posted by Primis on 11/28/11 at 05:28 PM ET

Lyle Richardson's avatar

Primis: Hudler and Ericsson for Iginla? Really? Try again.

Ericsson might have value, but only if another,better player is part of the package, meaning a scoring forward, because that’s something the Flames desperately need is offense.

Posted by Lyle Richardson on 11/28/11 at 05:43 PM ET

BrendonR's avatar

Lyle, I think everyone’s point around here is that:

A) the Wings are definitely ‘Cup contenders, and given other contenders’ (also) erratic play, Detroit’s current spot in the standings and their championship pedigree, they are probably the contenders right now;

B) It’s a very attractive destination for Iginla past just being one of the best chances to win, given the veteran roster, Original 6 prestige, high-offence style, familiarity with Babcock, top-notch management, family-oriented approach and proximity to Canada;

C) Ken Holland knows what he’s doing and will make a trade work if he wants it; and

D) the Wings actually have a lot of valuable prospects in their system that a re-building Flames would likely be quite interested in, and they are known for being willing to part with high picks.  A prospect brought up through the Wings’ system is more valuable than the same prospect being brought up through any other organization.

Posted by BrendonR on 11/28/11 at 06:35 PM ET

Lyle Richardson's avatar

Brendon:

Regardless of whether or not you or I consider the Wings Cup contenders, or an attractive destination, it’s a moot point if they couldn’t come up with an attractive package that would pry Iginla out of Calgary. So far, I’m still waiting to see what it would be from those here who believe the Wings could get him. The Flames want more than just “valuable prospects”, they also want at least one or two good young established NHL players. So, who are the players, and who are the prospects you’d want the Wings to part with to land him?

Posted by Lyle Richardson on 11/28/11 at 06:41 PM ET