What To Do About Number Two

Sometimes it seems like some of my friends who are Blackhawks fans aren’t happy unless that are worried about something. “Sure Corey Crawford did a great job and won the goal tending job but what about his back up?”

Relax and wait is my approach. Yes, it’s always nice to have a veteran back up, but at what price tag? There is also the factor of diminishing skills (which we saw with Marty Turco last year) When some goalies lose it, it seems to go over night. What good is having some one who is just a “name” and nothing more. Currently, Salak is listed as the number two. I’ve never even seen him play, so let’s see what he’s got.

Looking down to the AHL we have Alec Richards (I’ve gone to a few Ice Hogs games with him between the pipes and wasn’t really impressed) and Hannu Toivenen.(spell check had fun with this one). Both are younger talents, I know, but not your experienced pro.

Veteran back up goalies are like veteran back up quarterbacks in the NFL. As training camp winds down, there are always a couple let go in favor of youth. I say we let camp play out, and see what we got first. Then let’s see what becomes available. Of course, if Crawford gets hurt in the preseason, you can call me a moron (which people do anyway no matter what you write).

Filed in: NHL Teams, Chicago Blackhawks, Vince Maranto, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Evilpens's avatar

who do you work for Number 2 ?!?!

Hey How bought a courtesy flush LOL  LOL

Posted by Evilpens on 07/28/11 at 10:38 AM ET

I would say I am less worried about our backup goalie than I am about our defense. Even if Keith and Seabrook return to championship form, we are still missing Campbell. Yes, he was overpaid, no doubt, but he made our D better. Think back to each of the past 2 years, Campbell missed a stretch of games due to injury in each year, what happened to our team? We blew donkey balls. I would worry more about that than a back up, if I was going to worry…which…I am

Posted by pstumba on 07/28/11 at 11:17 AM ET

There are some things or a lot of things spell-check doesn’t work on.

Posted by NathanBC on 07/28/11 at 12:13 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Salak is very, very good.

He seems to have the “take over a game” gene and he makes himself pretty big in net.  I watched him in net one night against Grand Rapids and the Griffs threw 40-some shots at him from all angles and of all types and he calmly turned every single one away until the last two minutes when his “D” stopped trying to help him and kinda’ hung him out to dry so the Griffs slipped one in in a blowout loss.

He also is supremely confident in his ability, almost arrogant like Hasek, and has a temper a bit like him as well.

If the Hawks give him a fair shot, I think Salak has a good shot at #1 even, not just #2.

If I were you, I’d not worry about a #2.

Posted by Primis on 07/28/11 at 12:58 PM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

Did my eyes miss it, or did you not mention that they’re bringing Ray Emery in for a tryout? I think, considering how Emery played in his short stint with the Ducks last season and that he has supposedly fixed his attitude problems, he and Crawford would w quite the 1-2 punch.

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 07/28/11 at 01:31 PM ET

Toivenen is gone, signed in Europe. I think Salak could be a solid number 2, but adding Emery would give the organization great depth at both levels. Emery would be a solid, veteran back-up if the team does decide to sign him to a contract.

Posted by b.gardner on 07/28/11 at 02:31 PM ET

perfection's avatar

my guess is though, that Emery isn’t coming to camp planning on being a backup. For him to accept a tryout, I’d have to think the team told him he at least has a chance at winning the starting job. and even if he actually doesn’t, you’re only going to make your starter better if he thinks there’s pressure from below to perform.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 07/28/11 at 02:45 PM ET