What The NHLPA Offer May Look Like

from Michael Grange of Sportsnet,

According to sources with the PA, instead of trying get the league’s proposed wage rollback of 24 per cent down to 12 per cent or get free agency from 10 years to seven, where it stands currently—instead of negotiating against themselves, in other words—the PA has a grander vision in mind.

The expectation is that Fehr, having played it coy even as the expiration of the current CBA on Sept. 15 comes ever closer, will instead present the owners with his own vision of how the industry should be shaped.

“Some people interpret a counter proposal to be ‘this is within the framework of what the other guy said’—It just moves some things around,” Fehr said after a two-hour bargaining session in Toronto Monday. “This is a different kind of an approach. It’s how the players see the world.”

Details weren’t available, but the broad strokes are clear:

The NHL’s hard salary cap, a concession earned by locking out the players for a season in 2004-05?

Gone.

added 6:33pm, from David Shoalts of the Globe and Mail,

If Fehr and the players share any of the details after Tuesday’s presentation, it also means the rest of us get to see just how far apart the two sides are. Do not be surprised if it shows Fehr’s remark last week of a “meaningful gulf” sounds optimistic.

The owners see any solution as coming strictly out of the pockets of the players. They want to reduce not only the players’ share of the hockey-related revenue (HRR) from 57 per cent to 46 per cent but to exclude enough revenue from HRR to further shrink their share to 43 per cent. They also want to increase the eligibility of unrestricted free agency to 10 years, eliminate salary arbitration and limit contract to five years.

Filed in: NHL Talk, NHLPA, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

TreKronor's avatar

Erase the salary cap.

Forget imposing any sort of tax.

Let the weak markets fail - it’s a business to be run.  If they can’t figure out how to make money, don’t make the other teams absorb it.

The quality of the league would be so much better if we lost 6 or so teams.  The level of talent on each team could be so much more superior to what we currently see.

Posted by TreKronor on 08/13/12 at 06:57 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I’ve always wanted to learn a 2nd language. Maybe I’ll take up the guitar. I’m going to have lots of free time to do it.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/13/12 at 07:05 PM ET

@TreKronor As a fan, I would love to see it.  Better hockey overall.  However, the owners won’t let it happen because they will be losing their franchises (not to mention Bettman will not take such a hit to his ego).  The players would not let it happen either; It is too many lost jobs… Very counter-productive to the NHLPA.

Posted by DC from Canada on 08/13/12 at 07:05 PM ET

I love all of those ideas.

I also think there are a bunch of NHL teams that would LOVE no salary cap (the big markets) and no floor (the small markets) combined with direct profit sharing in the form of a luxury tax.

Depending on the details, that kind of general framework could get 14-16 votes pretty easily.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 08/13/12 at 07:06 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Posted by DC from Canada on 08/13/12 at 05:05 PM ET

Some say I’m a dreamer.  But hey - I’m not the only one…..

*sigh*

Posted by TreKronor on 08/13/12 at 07:10 PM ET

Alan's avatar

I have to wonder why Shoalts think’s it’s “trouble for the fans” that the players are educated. It’s not hurting me any. I fully anticipated and expect a lockout to occur. I’ll watch minor league hockey for my fix. The Gwinnett Gladiators are a very far cry from the quality I know and love, but it’s hockey and I’m not complaining.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 08/13/12 at 10:09 PM ET

The quality of the league would be so much better if we lost 6 or so teams

The quality of the league is higher now than it has ever been. The players are bigger, faster, stronger than ever. Why anyone would want less teams, with less fans, less TV money, less opportunity is beyond me.

Posted by timbits on 08/13/12 at 11:30 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Posted by timbits on 08/13/12 at 09:30 PM ET

Higher concentration of good players/team.  Instead of having 5 star players per team with 32 teams, you have 7 or 8 star players per team 25 teams (just making up numbers here - not being scientific).  Not to mention the mediocre players are scattered throughout.

Posted by TreKronor on 08/13/12 at 11:38 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Would Brent Lebda been an NHL level defensemen with six less teams?

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 08/14/12 at 01:06 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Was Lebda really an NHL level defensemen with 32 teams?

Posted by TreKronor on 08/14/12 at 01:10 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Make that 30 teams. Don’t know why I keep saying 32…

Posted by TreKronor on 08/14/12 at 01:17 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/13/12 at 05:05 PM ET

You should learn Russian and start following the KHL with me.

Da zdrástvuyet Rassíya!

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 08/14/12 at 02:22 AM ET

Posted by TreKronor on 08/13/12 at 09:38 PM ET

Yeah, they’ll be concentrated in Toronto.

I don’t know if you’ve paid attention to the league’s distribution of growth over the last 15 years, but MLSE could quintuple the Red Wings’ payroll, purchase the Red Wings Franchise and still make more money on the year than your favorite franchise did last year.

In other words, you seem to think your team would be one of the “haves” in a 2013 uncapped system, when it, and pretty much everyone except the Flyers and Rangers (who wouldn’t be equals, but could probably compete), would be a farm club.

Posted by larry from pitt on 08/14/12 at 02:59 AM ET

Alan's avatar

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 08/14/12 at 12:22 AM ET

I’m actually learning Norwegian and Swedish (self-taught). I think I’ll follow the SEL this year instead, since we’re going to another lockout.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 08/14/12 at 03:04 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 08/14/12 at 01:04 AM ET

Maybe I should learn Swenglish and spend the season translating old Homer interviews.

Think Rosetta Stone carries that one?

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 08/14/12 at 09:54 PM ET